U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2014, 06:51 PM

795 posts, read 1,103,774 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
well, we do have an ebay communication with the seller where she provided additional pictures of the item. those pictures can probably show that the item is fake. there are people online that can spot fakes by appearance and this wallet has features that are not correct to the real wallet.

i tried both phone numbers i had for her and both were non-working numbers.
i called the police in her town and they said it was probably a civil issue. i could try to push the issue with the police but i wasnt prepared to do that in that phone call.

she may currently be in another city/state. im trying to verify her location still. it will be hard for me to do anything without her current location.
Someone got me for over $1500 online once (product developer... I was stupid, paid upfront)... sometimes you have to let things go.

How much is $450 going to hurt you? Although, you can attempt to put her out of business at all costs... and people on ebay will still sell fakes and there will be thousands of people like your wife until ebay goes out of business. Sad part is you won't do anything to her... she will move on... the police won't waste their time.

If it is a real issue, go buy your wife a real one... light a fire on the fake one and have a glass of wine or apple juice.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2014, 08:54 PM

28,655 posts, read 33,433,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doodlemagic View Post
Local police will not care one bit. First off it's outside their juristiction, secondly they will say it's a civil matter. Also, if your buying fake stuff, if your wife is happy with it for 6 months who cares if she finds out its fake 6 months later. I get its the principal but this is why buying designer stuff is so stupid. Your wife has to have that $450 purse and she doesn't even know the real from the fake so why does she need it?

you will get no recourse from Paypal or ebay as its been too long their gurantees and protection are only good for 45 days. I'mg uessing this person if they are smart is using burner accounts ie fake names, fake ebay accounts, fake paypal accounts. they sell unitl they get shut down and then move on to antoher account, its all temporary prepaid cards for everything attached to the accounts and they withdraw by debit card instead of going to the bank.

Your best bet if you paid by card is try doing a dispute with your credit card. You won't get anything out of it but if you want the guy to suffer some consequences contact Louis vuittaon brand or trademark protection dept. They take this stuff seriously and will try to find the guy, however they will not help you in getting your money back you are on yoru own and honestly dont waste the effort your out your money thats 100% guranteed.
I don't buy designed stuff so I agree with your first point, except that I can get fake stuff much cheaper than $450. but the wife sees a difference.

the guy from cc company said its past their deadline, but I should write a letter and my have success with that. so a letter has been written and sent.

I don't think this girl is really a regular seller. for all I know, she may have been tricked when she bought the item originally.

Old 08-07-2014, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by King_of_DC View Post
Someone got me for over $1500 online once (product developer... I was stupid, paid upfront)... sometimes you have to let things go.

How much is $450 going to hurt you? Although, you can attempt to put her out of business at all costs... and people on ebay will still sell fakes and there will be thousands of people like your wife until ebay goes out of business. Sad part is you won't do anything to her... she will move on... the police won't waste their time.

If it is a real issue, go buy your wife a real one... light a fire on the fake one and have a glass of wine or apple juice.
$450 is not an especially significant portion of my wife's monthly discretionary spending budget. so the money is no big deal. but hey, I shop sales & use coupons, so I still wouldn't mind getting the $450 back. im not going to drive myself crazy over it.

Old 08-07-2014, 10:32 PM

2,995 posts, read 6,710,557 times
Quote:
okay, so my wife purchased something on ebay and now (about 6.5 months later) she finds out it was a counterfeit item. it was a Louis Vuitton wallet, $450.
Six months is a pretty long time to start complaining. If you complained right away, you probably could have gotten your money back with the Ebay Money Back Guarantee, but after 6 months your out of luck.

Quote:
I think the odds of getting a speedy refund are better if I talk to her before going to police.
Yea, I'm sure the police will drop everything and get right on that, NOT. They will take a report and you'll never heard from them again. At this point it's more of a civil matter and a criminal case.

If I were the seller after 6 months I'd just ignore you, police or not. It's pretty much a matter of she says, he says at this point. The original auction with pictures wouldn't even be recoverable after so much time. You could hire your own lawyer and sue me, but you would lose in court, there's zero proof that the bag you claim is counterfeit is the same bag I sold you.

Quote:
if i went to a store and they claimed to be selling real Chanel purses. i buy that purse after inspecting it in person. it turns out to be counterfeit. the stores is still guilty of fraud.
Yes, try that after 6 months, after the bags in question have long been sold out and have been replaced with the next seasons style of handbags. Face it you waited too long to start complaining, just eat the cost and move on.

Last edited by TechGromit; 08-07-2014 at 10:44 PM..

Old 08-08-2014, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechGromit View Post
Yea, I'm sure the police will drop everything and get right on that, NOT. They will take a report and you'll never heard from them again. At this point it's more of a civil matter and a criminal case.

[/i]
perhaps if i tell the police that she has a pit bull that they can murder they will pay her a visit.

Old 08-08-2014, 06:52 PM

795 posts, read 1,103,774 times
Quote:
$450 is not an especially significant portion of my wife's monthly discretionary spending budget. so the money is no big deal. but hey, I shop sales & use coupons, so I still wouldn't mind getting the $450 back. im not going to drive myself crazy over it.
Okay... but it sounds like you already have went crazy over it.

And if that is not a big part of her discretionary, then get her the HELL off eBay!!!!

Old 08-08-2014, 06:57 PM

2,995 posts, read 6,710,557 times
Quote:
perhaps if i tell the police that she has a pit bull that they can murder they will pay her a visit.
I don't understand the reference, some news story I missed perhaps?

Old 08-09-2014, 06:03 AM

283 posts, read 287,236 times
nothing will come from calling the police unless the seller is dumb enough to admit they sold a counterfeit.

Old 08-09-2014, 06:05 AM

283 posts, read 287,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by howard555 View Post
We sold an item to someone in Minnesota and the check bounced. The local police visited the buyer and told them they had 48 hours to replace the check with a money order made out to us and to be delivered to the Minnesota police station. It was there is under 24 hours.

Give them (police) a call in the city where your buyer is and just ask for their advice. They might let the cop that has that area ride by and give them a token knock on the door.
bouncing a check is totally different from claiming a purse is fake 6.5 months later
bouncing checks is a crime and easily provable
any whacko can claim a wallet was fake while having zero proof

the person who said if you can't tell the wallet was fake for 6 months then why are you spending 450 on a wallet is dead on.

Old 08-11-2014, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by King_of_DC View Post
Okay... but it sounds like you already have went crazy over it.

And if that is not a big part of her discretionary, then get her the HELL off eBay!!!!
what have I said that indicated that I have gone crazy over it?

I do not get my wife "the hell" off ebay. she has a certain amount she can spend monthly on whatever she wants and I don't care where she spends it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business