U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2014, 01:21 PM

28,109 posts, read 33,143,536 times

Advertisements

okay, so my wife purchased something on ebay and now (about 6.5 months later) she finds out it was a counterfeit item. it was a Louis Vuitton wallet, $450.

I was able to put together a potential address, 2 possible phone numbers and name of the seller. I tried emailing the seller, no response. my wife searched around online and has come to the conclusion that I should call her local police to investigate.

so now im basically trying to decide whether to attempt to call her or call the police. I guess I should call her at the 2 possible numbers at this point but im just concerned about whether or not its good to give her a heads up if im going to the police. but im thinking doesn't matter, so maybe ill call. I think the odds of getting a speedy refund are better if I talk to her before going to police.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2014, 01:30 PM

86,312 posts, read 79,467,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
okay, so my wife purchased something on ebay and now (about 6.5 months later) she finds out it was a counterfeit item. it was a Louis Vuitton wallet, $450.

I was able to put together a potential address, 2 possible phone numbers and name of the seller. I tried emailing the seller, no response. my wife searched around online and has come to the conclusion that I should call her local police to investigate.

so now im basically trying to decide whether to attempt to call her or call the police. I guess I should call her at the 2 possible numbers at this point but im just concerned about whether or not its good to give her a heads up if im going to the police. but im thinking doesn't matter, so maybe ill call. I think the odds of getting a speedy refund are better if I talk to her before going to police.
If she didn't respond to the customer's email, what makes you think you can get a refund by phoning her? I'd call the police.

I wonder if China is using EBay to sell pirated "brand" items.

Old 08-05-2014, 01:31 PM

9,261 posts, read 17,951,051 times
I thin kyou'll definitely get this resolved more quickly dealing with her directly if she's willing to work with you so I'd try that first. I don't think giving her the head's up will hurt you; I doubt the authorities will do anything until you've at least asked for a refund anyway.

I'd also get the eBay Resolution Center involved. It's well beyond the timeframe to open a case, but they can extend it in some circumstances. They'll definitely want to know about it, anyway.

Old 08-05-2014, 01:42 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
33,229 posts, read 60,384,125 times
Is the sellers even still listed on E-Bay as a seller? That seems an awfully long time to wait to find out if the purchase was legitimate. I'd be surprised if the police would be interested at this point.

Old 08-05-2014, 01:45 PM

14,654 posts, read 20,483,135 times
ebay will not help you at all you are on your own . call the police and see if they will get involved but I would not expect it to happen ...it has been so long . Good luck to you

Old 08-05-2014, 01:48 PM

28,109 posts, read 33,143,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
If she didn't respond to the customer's email, what makes you think you can get a refund by phoning her? I'd call the police.

I wonder if China is using EBay to sell pirated "brand" items.
i dont know if ill get a refund by calling her, but it may be harder to ignore a phone call than an email. the email address is her full name, so it may not be something she uses anymore.

it took this long because my wife believed it to be real. the other day, a piece fell off of it and she wanted to take it the the louis vuitton store to get it fixed. thats when she found out it was fake. if it didnt break, she may have never known.

ive contacted ebay, paypal and my credit card. we were shut down by all 3 but my credit card said i could write them a letter and may have some success with that. so i have sent them a letter.

Old 08-05-2014, 07:16 PM

795 posts, read 1,100,947 times
Will be interesting to see what the police will do... they might tell you to take it to court.

$450? I might chalk up a life lesson and move on. I've learned that about eBay... that is why I don't mess with eBay much any more. Can't imagine I'd ever spend more than $100 for anything on eBay. Just enough criminals to make me stay away.

Get some glue and put the bag back together... hopefully it still looks new.

Old 08-05-2014, 07:49 PM

1,139 posts, read 3,054,362 times
Quote:
After 6.5 months, how can you prove it was the same bag that the seller sold on eBay ?

Your chances are slim to none but it won't hurt to call the Seller but calling Police may not help - they are not in the business of helping you for buying counterfeit items online. Can you be held responsible for promoting counterfeit items by buying them ?

Do you have a written statement from the store that this is a counterfeit item? If so, go via the small court system but be ready to pay about 100-200 bucks and even then you may not recover your money...

Old 08-05-2014, 08:21 PM

12,764 posts, read 17,758,940 times
I buy a few things on eBay and have for several years but I've become concerned for the many scams that seem to be creeping in. I would be interested to know if the seller had a decent amount of feedback when your wife bought the wallet?

Old 08-06-2014, 08:54 AM

11,471 posts, read 16,145,519 times
Quote:

We sold an item to someone in Minnesota and the check bounced. The local police visited the buyer and told them they had 48 hours to replace the check with a money order made out to us and to be delivered to the Minnesota police station. It was there is under 24 hours.

Give them (police) a call in the city where your buyer is and just ask for their advice. They might let the cop that has that area ride by and give them a token knock on the door.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business