U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2014, 11:38 PM

19,602 posts, read 23,260,470 times

Advertisements

PBT's (Powers Behind The Thrones) should never be underestimated, in my opinion, as factors to the success of any number of Businessmen. When I look thru photo's of the Forbes 400, I sometimes wish they'd also include a photo of the spouse. As a clue? Like, who's the boss here? Who's forever pushing this man to greater levels of success?

Wife has the luxurious tastes of a Queen or Princess, husband would do just about anything for her, work 80-90 hours a week if that's what it would take? And, standing alone, being single, how much of a success would he be? What do you think?

My brother would more than happy living in a tent (he's even told me that), and why is he so successful, working 6-7 days a week? Well, if you knew his wife, who can't pass an antique store to add some new expensive antique to the house, the picture would become clearer.

What do you think? Perhaps the spouse is the one with the greatest ideas for continual success and he merely materializes them?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2014, 11:25 AM

208 posts, read 192,990 times
TV- and Media-Land are no place to learn about buisiness,

Old 08-13-2014, 11:27 AM

1,475 posts, read 2,336,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
What do you think?
I think these business people have their spouse tricked. They are doing what they love and their spouse thinks it's all for them!

Old 08-13-2014, 07:25 PM

795 posts, read 1,099,292 times
Quote:
PBT's (Powers Behind The Thrones) should never be underestimated, in my opinion, as factors to the success of any number of Businessmen. When I look thru photo's of the Forbes 400, I sometimes wish they'd also include a photo of the spouse. As a clue? Like, who's the boss here? Who's forever pushing this man to greater levels of success?

Wife has the luxurious tastes of a Queen or Princess, husband would do just about anything for her, work 80-90 hours a week if that's what it would take? And, standing alone, being single, how much of a success would he be? What do you think?

My brother would more than happy living in a tent (he's even told me that), and why is he so successful, working 6-7 days a week? Well, if you knew his wife, who can't pass an antique store to add some new expensive antique to the house, the picture would become clearer.

What do you think? Perhaps the spouse is the one with the greatest ideas for continual success and he merely materializes them?
There are a LOT of single successful businessmen (and women) out there.

Heck even plenty who are divorced.

Your brother is stupid... or you really don't know your brother like you think you do.. which is what I'd believe.

Anyway, I won't discount the success of a spouse for SOME people... a spouse is what makes them successful.... they need that kick.

But for everyone one of those men, another man does not need that.

Old 08-14-2014, 04:58 PM

135 posts, read 155,296 times
Quote:

I can honestly say that I have yet to meet anyone, in any industry, at even a junior executive level, whose success is directly or even partially attributable to the drive or need to materially pleasing his/her spouse. While I somewhat believe that domestic bliss helps workplace effectiveness...... that is overall a really awful observation.

Old 08-15-2014, 09:21 AM

25,250 posts, read 33,183,633 times
A nagging wife is not going to turn a slump into a Fortune 400 magnate.

The value of the wife, in the top end of the business world is that she networks and that she has contacts of her own. Probably at that level of income, she is from a wealthy family herself and she knows how the world works and she knows how to use her family contacts to an advantage.

In wealthy families, the wife often runs her own business in addition to the husband's work. If she is a stay at home mother, she teaches her children how to be successful when they grow up. There is a lot more to raising a winner than laying around on the sofa all day watching soap operas. Raising a successful child is a serious job, and the children of the wealthy are raised to be successful, with all the skills they need to do so.

Old 08-15-2014, 12:20 PM

4,103 posts, read 4,596,277 times
You both certainly need to be on the same page. I know plenty of guys who really want to invest or start their own business, but there wifes think if theres any account balance left over at the end of the month then its Louis V or Chanel time.

Old 08-16-2014, 08:46 AM

114 posts, read 172,916 times
I've seen it from the other end (I'm a lawyer.) If a working spouse has to support a non-working spouse, and the non-working spouse has a habit of overspending, the working spouse won't get ahead, resentment starts, and the whole ecosystem takes a hit. Divorce can kill a small business.

To be successful, you have to be willing to think long term, and make sacrifices along the way. You have to have funds to invest in your business. If your spouse keeps spending before you can invest, your business won't grow. If you're supporting someone who wants to live like royalty before you've earned it, you'll likely get stuck in the credit card trap.

Finally, home problems affect work life. I've seen many successful businesses take a hit because of family issues. If you're constantly tending to family emergencies (real or imagined) you won't have time to get ahead.

Old 08-20-2014, 07:07 PM

10,642 posts, read 20,363,103 times
I'd think that having both spouses engaged in the business is a huge boost to a business and if just one of them is interested in it, well, that may not kill the business, but it sure doesn't help it any. This would mostly affect smaller businesses, once you get up into the corporation level, the spouse's influence is less apparent.

Old 08-24-2014, 08:06 AM

11,082 posts, read 9,390,605 times
Dual income rules.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or