U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2014, 06:24 PM

4,880 posts, read 11,371,936 times

Advertisements

I have heard tv sales have been down and at&t bought direct tv. I have looked into Verizon FIOS and At&T U Verse and I have read about sketchy stories about being offered faulty first time deals and being locked in two year contracts with fees that raise after the first year. I'm worried Comcast will soon buy out Time Warner and Charter. It just seems cable is so pricey these days. And I absolutely will not switch over to Comcast. I am thinking of just getting Netflix and every once in a while buy a season of a series I like. Regarding internet, there are many options and local options. I will probably have to go with a main line phone brand.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2014, 07:17 PM

4,724 posts, read 4,175,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the city View Post
I have heard tv sales have been down and at&t bought direct tv. I have looked into Verizon FIOS and At&T U Verse and I have read about sketchy stories about being offered faulty first time deals and being locked in two year contracts with fees that raise after the first year. I'm worried Comcast will soon buy out Time Warner and Charter. It just seems cable is so pricey these days. And I absolutely will not switch over to Comcast. I am thinking of just getting Netflix and every once in a while buy a season of a series I like. Regarding internet, there are many options and local options. I will probably have to go with a main line phone brand.
TV sales are down? I hadn't noticed.

I don't know how long it will last before it becomes a 'paid' service somehow or another but for my viewing 'pleasure', I have antenna TV which also has PBS channels and it is perfectly fine for my needs. If I want to see a particular movie I just rent it.

I have found that I really don't watch everything that the current cable/pay for programming deals offer. It seems that out of all the packages that are out there I would have to pay premium for the programming which is of any interest to me. Not worth the steep prices from my point of view.

Good luck making a decision on this.

Old 08-18-2014, 07:39 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
33,148 posts, read 60,192,904 times
TV sales are down, but it's due to the mad rush when the flat screen HDTV prices fell. Everyone has them now and unless you bought a crappy Westinghouse, they will last several years. I would expect an increase again when the 2nd, 3rd, 4th & 5th TVs in many homes (old CRT models) start to wear out but it will not likely get to where it was at the peak in 2010/2011 when prices fell while the economy improved for many people.

Old 08-18-2014, 08:55 PM

4,880 posts, read 11,371,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
TV sales are down, but it's due to the mad rush when the flat screen HDTV prices fell. Everyone has them now and unless you bought a crappy Westinghouse, they will last several years. I would expect an increase again when the 2nd, 3rd, 4th & 5th TVs in many homes (old CRT models) start to wear out but it will not likely get to where it was at the peak in 2010/2011 when prices fell while the economy improved for many people.
why would u need that many tvs in a home anyways? 2 at the max unless u very materialistic.

Old 08-19-2014, 07:46 AM

Quote:
why would u need that many tvs in a home anyways? 2 at the max unless u very materialistic.
I didn't say we had that many (3) but many people do. One large one, and one in every bedroom. Some are now outdoors on the deck, under the counter in kitchens and even in the refrigerator. I saw one at a local store that mounts in the bathroom and is the mirror when off. It's not materialistic, it's being able to watch while doing other things and not have to sit on the couch all the time.

LG LCD TV Refrigerator | Uncrate

Outdoor TV, All Weather TV | Official SunBriteTV

Bathroom Vanity Mirror TV

Old 08-19-2014, 05:19 PM

795 posts, read 1,099,409 times
Quote:
Growing up on a farm.. without cable.. only rabbit ears, we had three TVs in the house.

I had an old B/W hand me down (later a color tv hand me down)... one TV in the family room and one in my mom's room. My dad did not give a crap about TV... luckily I picked that up from him as I grew from teenage years.

Old 08-19-2014, 05:26 PM

795 posts, read 1,099,409 times
Quote:
You have that messed up... the first year deals are ALWAYS great!!!!

Best deals you can find... the issue is after that first or second year... they find a way to pump you. And you are mixing up Comcast and Verizon in a confusing way (more than likely on purpose). Comcast does 12 month... Verizon does 24....

Not sure who cares who will buy who.... nothing will result in a lower payment. Period. End of story... until someone can pull wires to your house.

Netflix? Who provides the internet?

Too much money in jobs for these companies to "go away" or "play fair". For everyone person like me (who sit on the phone for an hour or two and get my bill down) there are 100 or 1000 more who won't. They pay full.

Old 08-20-2014, 06:40 AM

4,103 posts, read 4,596,928 times
I think the OP is talking about service sales, not Television sales. Personally I think its the economy, theres absolutely no reason that the packages that actually contain the shows you want to watch should cost hundreds of dollars a month. My wife and I wanted to see what all the crazy about Game of Thrones was, so we called Comcast coincidentally when we bought our new house. It turns out that we had to buy a 120 package. Granted this included internet but that was only about 40 bucks of it. So 80 bucks to have 99% of stations that we will never watch, and the 5 stations that we did want.

Old 08-20-2014, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguydownsouth View Post
I think the OP is talking about service sales, not Television sales. Personally I think its the economy, theres absolutely no reason that the packages that actually contain the shows you want to watch should cost hundreds of dollars a month. My wife and I wanted to see what all the crazy about Game of Thrones was, so we called Comcast coincidentally when we bought our new house. It turns out that we had to buy a 120 package. Granted this included internet but that was only about 40 bucks of it. So 80 bucks to have 99% of stations that we will never watch, and the 5 stations that we did want.
This is why they fight the idea of a menu option, where you choose those stations you want and only pay for them. Their profits are based on selling packages with the minimum available being way more stations than anyone could ever want. Then they have additional ones you can pay extra for such as the foreign language and specific sports stations. We did manage to get a 2 year discount when we threatened to leave cable for satellite. Many people are switching over to internet only for TV but then many others are just adding that and keeping cable too. Overall, though, I would expect the cable subscriber numbers to drop and prices for those left to increase in order to maintain their profits.

Old 08-20-2014, 09:02 AM

4,103 posts, read 4,596,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
This is why they fight the idea of a menu option, where you choose those stations you want and only pay for them. Their profits are based on selling packages with the minimum available being way more stations than anyone could ever want. Then they have additional ones you can pay extra for such as the foreign language and specific sports stations. We did manage to get a 2 year discount when we threatened to leave cable for satellite. Many people are switching over to internet only for TV but then many others are just adding that and keeping cable too. Overall, though, I would expect the cable subscriber numbers to drop and prices for those left to increase in order to maintain their profits.
Yep, the media industry is all about subsidizing and I get that. If the people who wanted to watch "Old timey channel" had to pay the true costs of watching said channel, they wouldn't be able to afford it. That is a specialized channel so only a few people want to watch it, therefore to keep costs low you and I subsidize it by having it forcefully rolled into our basic package. The problem I have is this raises the costs of the package substantially. I only want to watch 5 specific channels. I hope one day there is a method where History channel can just send their programming to my computer, which sends it to my tv. However current agreements between the big ballers in the industry prevent this. Theres too much money in it and too much control.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or