Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2014, 02:03 PM

4,003 posts, read 6,107,766 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaGal1 View Post
Their email addresses are also accessable in your paypal account
Not sure if you other sellers run into this as much as me but I'm shocked by how many people don't have a current email address on their Paypal accounts. Wehtehr I have to refund someone or have a questionfor someone I'll email them only to get a pissed off email or call weeks later about why did I do this or that. I'm like I sent you an email to such and such addres they are like oh I havn't used that email in years. Then why do you have it as your contact for Paypal.

I had another guy the other day who swore I hacekd his paypal account and changed his shipping address. I was like first off all how does that benefit me at all changing a shipping address, not only is that probably impossible but if I was able to hack paypal wouldn't I steal money not change your shipping address. Still couldn't reason with him so then asked him, is this your PO Box. Well yeah. Well A. how would i know you had a PO Box and B. how would I know what the PO Box address was to change it? You must have had it in your account already. Finally told the guy he's not welcome to do business with me and refunded his order. I don't deal with stupid its too much work for not enough return.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2014, 07:55 PM

795 posts, read 1,269,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doodlemagic View Post
Not sure if you other sellers run into this as much as me but I'm shocked by how many people don't have a current email address on their Paypal accounts. Wehtehr I have to refund someone or have a questionfor someone I'll email them only to get a pissed off email or call weeks later about why did I do this or that. I'm like I sent you an email to such and such addres they are like oh I havn't used that email in years. Then why do you have it as your contact for Paypal.

I had another guy the other day who swore I hacekd his paypal account and changed his shipping address. I was like first off all how does that benefit me at all changing a shipping address, not only is that probably impossible but if I was able to hack paypal wouldn't I steal money not change your shipping address. Still couldn't reason with him so then asked him, is this your PO Box. Well yeah. Well A. how would i know you had a PO Box and B. how would I know what the PO Box address was to change it? You must have had it in your account already. Finally told the guy he's not welcome to do business with me and refunded his order. I don't deal with stupid its too much work for not enough return.
I've been lucky... I ship even when people give bad email addresses all the time. Been doing it for years. Heck, many times even if the address does not come up correct, I'll ship to it. No issues there either.

Old 10-04-2014, 07:58 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,174,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by King_of_DC View Post
Sometimes I wonder what is really happening when people say the "profit" 15k to 30k... My business varies but not to that degree... and normally from the end of Nov to the end of Jan I hit big numbers. Middle of summer I hit small numbers... but they don't vary so much.
If one has the type of product that would vary by season I can see the cycles taking effect like that.

Sell patio furniture for example, and winter time sales are sure to slump.

Old 10-04-2014, 08:00 PM

698 posts, read 798,997 times
Quote:

I've never tried using PayPal emails. I always phone them instead. Forgot now how but you can request to receive the buyers phone numbers. I don't get all of them so sometimes use whitepagesdotcom scammers hate to be called as I phone them at home or work to get my $ I back if they scanned me. Sometimes I get cash in the mail back, sometimes not. Glad I haven't had a scammer in a very long time

Old 10-04-2014, 11:16 PM

244 posts, read 362,672 times
How come people will sell things on E-Bay over Amazon? What is the benefit?

Old 10-05-2014, 12:15 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,174,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by violent by design View Post
there are benefits to either site, depending on the type of product you are selling.

Old 10-05-2014, 09:03 PM

328 posts, read 435,230 times
Quote:
Maybe you need to have a store because when I look under my sold items it has their email address right next to their username

I already stated I have access to customers emails and have since 1995 and send them to my website to purchase other items.

It was not I who made that statement, it was someone else above who did not know or made a comment they cannot see the email addresses so I told them how they can get them.

I do have a store with over 2000 items in it right now.

Ebaying since 1995 and was one of the first to reach 50k feedback ever. Now you have a gazillion companies and Japanese sellers who sell items for 0.01 and have massive feedbacks so for not doing much work and feedback almost means nothing now.

Old 10-06-2014, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by violent by design View Post
I find ebay to be more userfriendly. Ebay anyone can list anything, Amazon if you want to be able to create your own listings you have to signup for a seller account and Pay them money. For example just with a regular amazon account I can sell items as long as someone else has listed them so for example if someone has listed a particular book I can "sell one like this" however if I have a book nobody on amazon i selling I can't create my own unique listing.

I think certain products or product categories sell better on ebay where others may sell better on amazon. I find amazons fees to be higher, with ebay if you have a store and are a top rated seller or power seller you can get big discounts on ebay fees, paypal fees and shipping.

Old 11-12-2014, 03:32 PM

389 posts, read 427,167 times
Lots of good information. Thanks. Just posted my first two items today. I lost my job and am on unemployment. I used to have flea market booth, so I love junkin!!

Old 11-13-2014, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poohbear1234 View Post
Lots of good information. Thanks. Just posted my first two items today. I lost my job and am on unemployment. I used to have flea market booth, so I love junkin!!
Checkout storage auctions. Usually can find one wihtin a half hour drive any day of the week. YOu can pick up hundreds or even thousands of dollars worth of merchandise for pennies on the dollar. Its nothing like the tv shows but if you don't mind flea markets you can make some money. The good stuff goes on ebay or craigslist easy the stuff too big to ship or stuff like average household goods garbage cans, dishes, etc sells good at garage sales and flea markets. Its a hustle but there's money to be made.

You can find auctions in your area at sites like auctionzip.com or freestorageauctionlists.com. There's also some good forums out there where you can get tips and advice and ask questions like storageauctionsforums or onlinestorageauctionforums i forget the address they recently changed their domain.

My first auction bought a locker for $400 and made a good 5k off of it. You can easily find lockers for as little as like $40 though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business