Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2014, 11:58 AM

57 posts, read 240,997 times

Advertisements

How are you doing it, and approx. how much are you grossing? What is your biz, and how'd you get started? How much $ did it take to get started?

For those of you who sell on eBay, what do you sell, and how much are you grossing? I'm so turned off by their fees these days.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2014, 04:42 PM

795 posts, read 1,268,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonpareil View Post
How are you doing it, and approx. how much are you grossing? What is your biz, and how'd you get started? How much $ did it take to get started?

For those of you who sell on eBay, what do you sell, and how much are you grossing? I'm so turned off by their fees these days.

Thanks
I sell software online... how? I hire people all over the world , with the skills I need (mainly USA/Europe/Pakistan/India.. recently brought someone from Argentina onboard).

I gross enough to pay everyone and keep me returning every day. I started with, I guess $100.... was a hobby... well I was pissed a certain market cost so much... I happen to be on the dawn of the digital age (90s). I was selling ebooks before they were "cool"... before people knew what an "ebook" was.

I got out of ebay a long time ago... not so much fees... face it, the eyeballs are there. You make a ton of money that you would not otherwise. If you don't, then you are not in your market and should get out.

I got out of ebay because of the time and effort... takes time to process ebay sales... build pages, etc (although, I've heard it is easier now.. so take my comment with a grain of salt). Although now I'm starting to doing 100% download sales, so I'm thinking ebay will be a focus again.

But people who complain of ebay fees should get off. I left ebay and still do okay... I give up money but I don't have to put in the time.... if that makes any sense.

Old 08-20-2014, 09:21 AM

4,103 posts, read 5,423,492 times
Making money online is pretty hard to do and is treated like a trade secret by those who are successful. I don't think youll get too much meaningful feedback that you can replicate.

Old 08-20-2014, 11:18 AM

2,341 posts, read 3,495,574 times
Quote:

Thanks
If anyone shares this type of knowledge with you.

Then you will be one of their competitors, and hurt their business.

Then every penny you make will be a penny they will not make.

People in business do not share their secrets, or they would go broke.

Old 08-20-2014, 03:38 PM

9,850 posts, read 7,716,018 times
I've been selling online 15 years. 95% of sales originate from our website, 4% local and less than 1% is ebay.

It didn't cost anything to get started back then, my first website was free and I already had 10 years of experience and relationships with my suppliers. Now we pay for a better website plus Google AdWords to keep top rankings.

No more details - we have enough competitors as it is, but we excel in service so once we get a customer, they always come back. We are experts in our field.

Old 09-29-2014, 01:36 AM

298 posts, read 299,333 times
Quote:

Thanks

I deal in vintage guitars. Started by buying one at a garage sale for $30 in 1996 and selling it through a newspaper classified ad. Kept buying them at pawn shops until I bought my first computer in 1997, where I sold them on guitar related classified ads. I discovered Ebay in 1998 and sold mostly there till 2008, then started selling a lot on Craigslist. I've had several $100k profit years working completely alone, the rest were all over $50k. That's based on $200-$300k gross sales per year. I'm burned out on Ebay now so I sell on Craigslist, various guitar-only websites, and at guitar shows. It's a much more peaceful way to live than dealing with Ebayers. Having to ship multiple hard to pack items per day becomes pretty stressful.

Forget about how to sell, the important question is how to buy. The answer to that is by starting with something that you love. Whatever your favorite collectible or commodity is, put ads on Craigslist saying that you buy them. No need to take chances at first, just buy the stuff that you know the exact value of, and try to pay 50 cents on the dollar. Once your comfort level grows, then you can make some real money buy paying up to 90% of an item's value. I say real money because those deals are all around you all day long. You might go a month without doubling your money on a $1000 item but you can buy one for $900 and sell it within 48 hours for $1100 pretty much every day of the week. I've made as much as $8000 on a single item but stepping up and being known as THE guy to sell to is a far more effective way to make money. Home run deals will come either way, but why wait around for just those?

Be careful with Ebay. Completed listing prices are not always achievable. There are always a couple sellers who found a rich guy who just fell off the turnip truck. Focus on the prices that MOST sellers got. I'm actually buying on Ebay these days and selling on Craigslist and to uninformed super stores. Ebay will always be the best resource for selling niche items but when there are dozens or hundreds of an exact item listed there at all times, a quick sale will not be likely.

Lastly, don't be afraid to do the opposite of what the masses are doing when you spot an item that is over or under valued. Remember too that it takes a while for the country to catch up to trends. When retail prices in small towns are wholesale in the cities, then you can buy stuff all day long and sell right to stores/dealers. When prices are plummeting, there will always be someone who isn't up to speed with the market who will overpay and beg you for more. So on top of knowing your product and its world-wide demand, you should also keep tabs on what your local competitors know and don't know. Ebay WILL go away someday so you'll need to develop the same wheeler/dealer skill sets that successful people have been utilizing for centuries.

Old 09-30-2014, 01:11 PM

4,003 posts, read 6,096,237 times
I have an ecommerce/ebay business. My friend and I started it with about $300. AFter making some beer money on ebay we "upgraded" to a very crappy "website" if you can even call it that, a free blogger platform with paypal buttons. We then upgraded to a godaddy template website. Then once we started making some money outsourced a website from some Indian designers. Over the course of a little less than two years that business we started with $300 is about to do 1.7 million in sales this month. We consistantly do between 15k and 30k a month profit. We are slowly making things more professional to reflect a company of our size and success however were both still working fulltime jobs which is kinda crazy, my buddy quit the other day, I'm quitting as soon as I get my insurance setup and some things settled. I'm stll running my business from a card table and chair in my tv room lol. There is definately money to be made online. I still do ebay but my focus is driving ebay customers off of ebay to my website, not continuing to keep ebay customers as the fees aren't worth it and ebay requires you to accept returns, and a lot of other rules I don't like.

As others have said, I'll be happy to share info like whats a good ecomerce platform however IMHO 90% of success is determined by the item you pick to sell the rest is customer service, how easy you make the process for customers, etc but 90% is just the niche so obviously myself nor anyone else will share that with you.

Old 09-30-2014, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doodlemagic View Post
I have an ecommerce/ebay business. My friend and I started it with about $300. AFter making some beer money on ebay we "upgraded" to a very crappy "website" if you can even call it that, a free blogger platform with paypal buttons. We then upgraded to a godaddy template website. Then once we started making some money outsourced a website from some Indian designers. Over the course of a little less than two years that business we started with $300 is about to do 1.7 million in sales this month. We consistantly do between 15k and 30k a month profit. We are slowly making things more professional to reflect a company of our size and success however were both still working fulltime jobs which is kinda crazy, my buddy quit the other day, I'm quitting as soon as I get my insurance setup and some things settled. I'm stll running my business from a card table and chair in my tv room lol. There is definately money to be made online. I still do ebay but my focus is driving ebay customers off of ebay to my website, not continuing to keep ebay customers as the fees aren't worth it and ebay requires you to accept returns, and a lot of other rules I don't like.

As others have said, I'll be happy to share info like whats a good ecomerce platform however IMHO 90% of success is determined by the item you pick to sell the rest is customer service, how easy you make the process for customers, etc but 90% is just the niche so obviously myself nor anyone else will share that with you.
Sometimes I wonder what is really happening when people say the "profit" 15k to 30k... My business varies but not to that degree... and normally from the end of Nov to the end of Jan I hit big numbers. Middle of summer I hit small numbers... but they don't vary so much.

Old 10-01-2014, 08:25 AM

4,003 posts, read 6,096,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by King_of_DC View Post
Sometimes I wonder what is really happening when people say the "profit" 15k to 30k... My business varies but not to that degree... and normally from the end of Nov to the end of Jan I hit big numbers. Middle of summer I hit small numbers... but they don't vary so much.
Some months majority of my business comes on ebay and then I'm paying thousands in ebay final value fees. Other months most of my business comes from my website where I make much bigger margins. On ebay not only do I have to price stuff lower to be competitive on a marketplace where people can compare my prices to others but I'm also paying hefty fees on it. Also just the nature of my business I could have a week where I'm doing 15k in sales a day and the following week I'm doing 3k a day in sales. It's very hot and cold. ALso, some months I'm able to buyin from a different supplier and get my inventory for 10-15% less which makes my profits bigger. Also some months I'll get giant orders that will make the month

Old 10-01-2014, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doodlemagic View Post
Some months majority of my business comes on ebay and then I'm paying thousands in ebay final value fees. Other months most of my business comes from my website where I make much bigger margins. On ebay not only do I have to price stuff lower to be competitive on a marketplace where people can compare my prices to others but I'm also paying hefty fees on it. Also just the nature of my business I could have a week where I'm doing 15k in sales a day and the following week I'm doing 3k a day in sales. It's very hot and cold. ALso, some months I'm able to buyin from a different supplier and get my inventory for 10-15% less which makes my profits bigger. Also some months I'll get giant orders that will make the month
Interesting... great post... thank you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business