U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2014, 05:39 PM

25,631 posts, read 33,778,799 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
You get what you pay for.
Not necessarily.

The last time I stayed in a hotel that was $225 a night, it took 2 days of multiple calls and 2 visits to the desk to complain about a loud running toilet before anyone came by to fix it. (jiggling the handle didn't work). The maids would come in and leave fresh towels but drop the wet used ones onto the floor and leave them there. One bed got made up and the other never did. Trash baskets were never emptied.

"Free continental breakfast" consisted of empty coffee urns, no cups, and a small plate with a few crumbs on it that maybe had held a few donuts at one time?

I know it is possible to pay more than $225 a night, but for $225 I think that maybe the trash and wet towels could be removed. But apparently you cant count on getting that done at that price range.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2014, 06:18 PM

208 posts, read 193,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
I know it is possible to pay more than $225 a night, but for $225 I think that maybe the trash and wet towels could be removed.
So did the manager. You should have spoken with him.

Old 08-27-2014, 06:22 PM

86,857 posts, read 80,127,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
I agree. Whether you pay $49 or $110 can make a big difference in the quality of the place you are staying but it also depends on where it is. We have done several road trips this summer and probably stayed at 10 different places, ranging from $70-$159, and all were clean and in good repair. We paid a lot more in Eugene, OR than in Klamath Falls, and even less in Eureka, CA all for similar quality.
Exactly. This is what got my attention. In my town, the Motel 6's are great, and only $40! When planning a drive out to CA, I was checking all the hotels in a certain price range (roughly $85 and under). Most had fairly consistently bad reviews, but not all. And I've made that drive before, I have some experience with the price range. What I don't understand is, why can Motel 6 in Santa Fe and Albuquerque operate nice, clean hotels for $40/night, while Motel 6, EconoLodge, etc. etc., and independently-owned motels, in parts of AZ and CA can't do a decent job even at twice that rate?

It means they're not trying. They're just using those facilities as a cash cow. There's no other conclusion to be drawn.

Old 08-27-2014, 10:11 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
33,511 posts, read 60,902,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Exactly. This is what got my attention. In my town, the Motel 6's are great, and only $40! When planning a drive out to CA, I was checking all the hotels in a certain price range (roughly $85 and under). Most had fairly consistently bad reviews, but not all. And I've made that drive before, I have some experience with the price range. What I don't understand is, why can Motel 6 in Santa Fe and Albuquerque operate nice, clean hotels for $40/night, while Motel 6, EconoLodge, etc. etc., and independently-owned motels, in parts of AZ and CA can't do a decent job even at twice that rate?

It means they're not trying. They're just using those facilities as a cash cow. There's no other conclusion to be drawn.
Motel 6 started franchising in the mid 90s and became very inconsistent, I won't use them except when traveling alone for my side business (rare). Super 8 is all company owned, I think, but are also somewhat inconsistent especially the quality of the free "breakfast." which can be good or horrible. When traveling with my wife, and needing a place just overnight, we have found Best Western, Quality Inn, and Comfort Suites to be the most consistent, decent priced. There have still been some issues even with them in really small, out of the way towns. At our detination we prefer VRBO and renting a house or condo, or a resort hotel that's highly rated on TripAdvisor. It's worth the extra $ if more than 1-2 nights. Oddly enough, when we go to Portland, we stay at a truck stop, the Portlander Inn by Jubitz. Just be sure to stay in the West building, not the east which will be full of truckers and noisy.

Old 08-27-2014, 10:24 PM

8,776 posts, read 10,408,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post

My daughter works for Motel 6 so, for the past few years, I've stayed in them in my travels. I have to say, without exception, they have ALL been awful! The last one I stayed in was pretty bad. The curtains were so old and bad you could SEE where the backing was coming off and see daylight through the holes. And every single one of them has had an inoperable bathtub drain stopper! I have a shower only at home so when I travel I try to take advantage of the tubs and get in a nice long soak with some good smelling 'stuff'. I have to end up using a wash cloth to stuff in the drain to keep the water in. And those places haven't been exactly cheap either. Another one I stayed at didn't even have any soap in the bathroom but that didn't bother me because I take my own body wash. I don't think I'll be staying at any more Motel 6's. I've given them tons of 'chances' over the years. I've stayed in these places in AZ, CA, NV and OR. Even the one in Reno wasn't so great. Or the one in Vegas either although it HAD just been redone not long before. Except for the bathtub drain stopper. A lot of them only have showers too.

Old 08-28-2014, 01:04 AM

23 posts, read 22,544 times
Yeah, there are still seriously problems in some motels, like safety, food handling, etc. However, who will should deal with these bumps?

Old 08-28-2014, 06:19 AM

208 posts, read 193,692 times
Motel 6 is a chain of BUDGET motels. Maybe spend a few extra bucks and aim a little higher. People are otherwise getting what they are paying for.

Old 08-28-2014, 01:33 PM

86,857 posts, read 80,127,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Bishop View Post
Motel 6 is a chain of BUDGET motels. Maybe spend a few extra bucks and aim a little higher. People are otherwise getting what they are paying for.
Spending twice the amount doesn't get the customer anything better. That was the point in my post. And I'd formed a very good impression of Motel 6, due to the good quality of the ones in NM and Flagstaff, AZ. "Budget" doesn't necessarily have to mean "fleabag".

Old 09-03-2014, 02:17 AM

18,558 posts, read 18,704,437 times
Just check really good for Bedbugs, and DON'T use the blankets or bedspreads......they get washed about once a year.

Old 09-03-2014, 07:19 AM

15,008 posts, read 25,704,695 times
If I am going to stay in a budget hotel, I try Microtel or Super 8. However, before I book, I always check the Trip Advisor rating. If it has 3.5/5 rating, it generally works out alright.

Generally, I can get a 3-3.5* hotel on Priceline for the price of a Motel 6 so I do that instead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or