U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2014, 07:53 AM

40,771 posts, read 19,657,255 times

Advertisements

The day of family day trips and Howard Johnson and clean respectable motel courts and cabins that are family run....are OVER! Sadly those oasis on the state highways fell to the allure of the Interstates and franchise hotels. What's left of the older motels are often little more than flop houses catering to questionable clients engaged in questionable activities.

The ones that are legit....often have plumbing problems....electrical problems.....noise issues....and a musty smell and inattentive and disinterested staff.

When we travel we have given up on the ones that advertise their cheap rates on highway signs.....it isn't worth it to find showers with plugged up drains.....ripped carpets.....and doors that look as if they have been jimmied a thousand times and have ten or more screw holes from broken locks.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2014, 04:36 PM

15,008 posts, read 25,700,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Spending twice the amount doesn't get the customer anything better. That was the point in my post. And I'd formed a very good impression of Motel 6, due to the good quality of the ones in NM and Flagstaff, AZ. "Budget" doesn't necessarily have to mean "fleabag".

Are Super 8s better than Motel 6?

Absolutely.

Better breakfast
Cleaner properties
Much better linens
More properties with internal entrances
Better TV selections
AARP discounts up to 20%

No game playing on the number of guests:

Typical Motel 6. $39.95 on sign - that price is for a "single", $55 for a double. Of course, by the time you find out, you have completed the registration cards.

I am glad you have had good experiences. Mine have all been pretty negative.

Old 09-03-2014, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inattentive View Post
Ruth you are very observant. I hate playing the blame game ,but the fire depatments,
city inspectors need to also be scrutinized and THAT good ol boy group needs to be replaced. I realize that running these facilities is difficult and many short stay customers abuse the motels. Weather,age ,use damage and lack of funds impact outcomes as a management oriented person maybe I' m too harsh, but i demand perfection within
my behavior box.

Let me address your points in both your posts. I have been in and around the hotel business for years.

When the economy tanks, you will find out that the occupancies of all properties from the Ritz Carlton to the lowly Motel 6 drop a minimum of about 15 points. In addition, rates drop pretty seriously. The big names can avoid some of that but they will offer more deals and make more rooms available to the opaque sites (at a much lower rate).

Few will admit it but when times are tough, maintenance is deferred as is the gradual refurbishing projects that a hotel at any level needs to do to appear fresh. The replacement of bedding, linens, furniture, etc. will be delayed a year or two.

Most markets in this country have not fully recovered from the recession despite what rosy predictions are coming out of Washington. I drove along a major thoroughfare in the NW Chicago suburbs and counted upwards of 300 vacant storefronts in upper class suburbs in a eight mile drive. In that area there are four or five major hotel closures. To me, it is not surprising that some properties are getting well worn. Areas that have recovered are in better shape.

What does the city fire and building inspections have to do with it? You can have perfectly functioning life safety equipment and meet all building codes and still have a facility that is not in good shape.

The real issue is why aren't the franchisors making sure that the standards of their brands being maintained? I think that many of the moderate to budget properties do not routinely make inspections to ensure that their properties are kept up to date.

Old 09-03-2014, 05:00 PM

17,849 posts, read 14,825,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inattentive View Post
In traveling numerous times thought especally the Southeast my wife
and I are amazed at how many chain motels have borderline incompetent
maintainance crews or generally one. Their given repair assignments often
when lacking even fundamental skills. The standard mess is the patching
of formerly removed towel brackets, hole patches, wall repairs, caulking,
painting few having the slightest idea or obvious care with workmanship.
I blame incompetent regionals and managers onsite for being equally clu-
less. So what to do? Intense walk throughs daily and if the repair person
resists show that person the door! Too many times showers are nor marked
hot and cold my desk lamp is missing a bulb, the curtains are unlached
laundry room locked and unmarked, The ice machine in a room with 90
degrees with a broken soda machine. Who are these people having the
audacity of charging $80 a night false advertizing lower rate on the outside
sign? Lastly, motels pose a long list of safety issues albeit electrical
outlet haphazard repairs, scalding water (children) bacterial ridden air
conditioning, improper food handling, missing exit signs, lack of first
responder training, loose second floor railings.
holy cow!

I mostly stay in Motel 6 or 8 or other cheap ones and NEVER had an issue. I am very sensitive to dirt, mold and dust and never got an allergic reaction.

The only one bad experience I ever had was when a place served rotten apples for breakfast.

I have been on the East Coast, South and West Coast, never experienced real ugly rooms, dirt or bugs.

Which hotel chains are you talking about? And how come you even notice all that stuff?

I just wonder why the cheap hotels have so ugly, flowery blankets on their beds.

Old 09-03-2014, 05:02 PM

86,849 posts, read 80,106,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
Are Super 8s better than Motel 6?

Absolutely.

Better breakfast
Cleaner properties
Much better linens
More properties with internal entrances
Better TV selections
AARP discounts up to 20%

No game playing on the number of guests:

Typical Motel 6. $39.95 on sign - that price is for a "single", $55 for a double. Of course, by the time you find out, you have completed the registration cards.

I am glad you have had good experiences. Mine have all been pretty negative.
Hey, thanks. I'll look for Super8's in the future.

We need a thread on the awful TV selections in motels! I thought it was because network AND cable programming had both gone downhill (I haven't owned a TV in years, so I'm out of the loop). But I guess it depends on what the franchise is willing to pay for?

Old 09-05-2014, 06:55 AM

1,545 posts, read 895,679 times
Quote:
Exactly. This is what got my attention. In my town, the Motel 6's are great, and only $40! When planning a drive out to CA, I was checking all the hotels in a certain price range (roughly $85 and under). Most had fairly consistently bad reviews, but not all. And I've made that drive before, I have some experience with the price range. What I don't understand is, why can Motel 6 in Santa Fe and Albuquerque operate nice, clean hotels for $40/night, while Motel 6, EconoLodge, etc. etc., and independently-owned motels, in parts of AZ and CA can't do a decent job even at twice that rate?

It means they're not trying. They're just using those facilities as a cash cow. There's no other conclusion to be drawn.
Very true in my experience too. although I give AZ a level up from CA when comparing the same chain. My experience in Amariillo, Texas (...Baymont..) has been worse than elsewhere. Dallas, Houston & Austin were fine though. Sometimes you just got to drive straight on through and avoid those headaches. Best Western and Comfort Inns have been pretty much the same each time.

Old 09-05-2014, 02:52 PM

Quote:
We need a thread on the awful TV selections in motels! I thought it was because network AND cable programming had both gone downhill (I haven't owned a TV in years, so I'm out of the loop). But I guess it depends on what the franchise is willing to pay for?
Yes.

What bothers me is this.

If I check into a Super 8, I get a full cable selection. I do NOT watch a lot of television, but I like networks like USA, TNT, Food TV, Animal Planet, NatGeo, and the like.

I go to a Marriott brand and all I get is HBO, five news channels, four sports channel, local programming and maybe five basic channels. I would have assumed that since Marriott's target market was business travelers with incomes over $100k, that they would offer an experience that was similar to what that business traveler would have at home.

Old 09-07-2014, 01:47 AM

336 posts, read 350,266 times
I want to thank followup posters many having business savy regarding this topic.
I stayed at a nice Best Western outside TIfton Ga. that had great clean rooms and
a breakfast that would knock your socks off. I frequently compliment staff especially
housekeeking. So there are pockets of great people great motels. Our favorites
Is Holliday Inn Express ,Best Westerns, LaQuinta (nice room but poor breakfast) and
Country Suites.

Old 09-07-2014, 02:18 PM

28,389 posts, read 31,007,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
When your clientele is NASCAR fans, football fans, drunks and meth heads, investing heavily in repairs might not be a good business model. After the recession hit, a lot of tourism related industries took a huge loss.
Exactly. I have a friend who manages a business oriented hotel. But they get a lot of trashy partiers on the weekends when the rates are lower (but still not at motel levels). I can only imagine what the clientele at motels must be like.

Old 09-07-2014, 02:22 PM

28,389 posts, read 31,007,674 times
Quote:
why can Motel 6 in Santa Fe and Albuquerque operate nice, clean hotels for $40/night, while Motel 6, EconoLodge, etc. etc., and independently-owned motels, in parts of AZ and CA can't do a decent job even at twice that rate?
I'm not sure why that's the case in AZ, but California's have higher operating costs for sure. Higher real estate costs, higher wages paid, more regulations to comply with that cost the business money, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or