Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2014, 11:59 AM

265 posts, read 402,238 times

Advertisements

I've been interested in starting a small farm of my own for quite some time now. But I always get so overwhelmed every time I try actually getting started in the planning stages. I've tried writing a business plan but I get discouraged when I can't estimate prices and logistics. I don't know if there are resources more specific to planning an agriculture type business, or if I should consult someone? Does anyone have any advice on starting up a farm or retail-nursery type of business?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2014, 03:07 PM

698 posts, read 797,942 times
I would say to specialize in something. We live adjacent a Highway which is busier than the Interstate. A lady sells Strawberrys here each year. She;s had to make the fence higher and higher to prevent deer jumping in. I noticed last time she had other vegetables available also. Since we are on irrigation water, and right in front of the business (Highway) it makes sense.

To the right of us is a pumpkin patch I will be working at and after that, it turns into a Xmas Tree farm

Old 09-23-2014, 08:00 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,692,234 times
Yeah work in that industry first.

Old 09-23-2014, 08:41 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,570 posts, read 81,147,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
Yeah work in that industry first.
Agreed, but also look into the cost of water, fertilizer and insurance before doing farming of crops. Selling anything that people eat means a huge risk of financial ruin if your product causes a widespread illness. For a small start-up operation you might do best with a specialty, otherwise you are competing with big box stores like Lowe's, Home Depot and even Wal-Mart garden centers, not to mention the big nurseries. Something like Azaleas/Rhodies, houseplants, or bonsai. Whatever you do, it will require knowledge. You might look into your county master gardener program. Here it costs $135 plus 90 hours of volunteer work after completion, and requires a state patrol background check.

I do bonsai, currently have almost 100 trees, and for a few years did some consulting/wiring/pruning/repotting work on the side through a website, but it cut too much into my free time so I gave it up. I was charging $50/hour and that was back in 2000-2003. At that time I already had 15 years experience. Before that, in the mid-1980s I did grafting on the side, mostly fruit trees when people wanted multiple varieties on one tree or something unusual like pears on an apple tree. For that I was getting $25/hour. That was mostly word-of-mouth, and I also did a lot of freebies for extended family.

Old 09-23-2014, 08:52 AM

3,863 posts, read 6,295,535 times
OP, you've received some great advice above. Also, look into things like companion planting and what plants grow native in your area. It will save you some work and time. I agree with the idea of sticking to ornamentals as opposed to edibles.

Old 09-23-2014, 09:02 AM

265 posts, read 402,238 times
Hemlock, that is a very helpful reply right there! Thank you. Yes, I do plan on taking the master gardener course just so that I'll have the proverbial "piece of paper" that some people (investors, clients) like to see. I have been gardening my entire life, and I have worked on small farms too. I don't have too many skills, I'll admit, but when it comes to plants I am an expert. I've learned over the years that I have a predisposition toward aquatic plants, and bog plants, but I have also enjoyed collecting various African violets and other gesneriads. I definitely plan on finding a niche and sticking to it, I just haven't fully completed any market research to know which niche I would fit me best. I also recently learned I have a fondness for carnivorous plants, so that's another niche I might look into. I've considered the bonsai market, but I think I'll always be too much of a newcomer to that market, with it having been an established market for so many decades now. I've also considered picking one plant and sticking to it, like, say, garlic or something like that. I like the idea of being able to harvest something and not have to immediately rush it to market before it spoils, like many fruits and mushrooms.

I really like that idea of specializing in a service, like grafting. That's very clever. I might have to think along the lines of a service like that.

This is good stuff, thank you all. Please keep it coming!

Old 09-24-2014, 08:30 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,570 posts, read 81,147,605 times
With your predisposition toward aquatic plants and bog plants, you might go into home ponds. We have 3 different pond supply/construction companies in our area, and they all do a great business. You just have to be in an upscale area with large yards where people can afford to pay for them. I did my own 3'x5' pond and it's been going now for about 10 years with goldfish reaching about 8". It's something you could do from home as long as you have a vehicle for transporting the tools and supplies.

Old 09-24-2014, 09:04 AM

4,103 posts, read 5,425,047 times
From what I gather farming has been ruined by corporate farms. It comes down to scale of economies and who has the deepest pockets. When I went to S.D. last year almost everyone I talked to (used) to live on a farm, but they had to sell because they were going broke. Plus Monsanto has taken to testing the crop in farmers fields and claiming theft of intellectual property if some of their seeds blow into or cross fertilize with your crop. That's one reason theyre the brunt of so much hate.

Old 09-24-2014, 04:18 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,213,440 times
design water fountains and install

Old 09-26-2014, 06:25 PM

698 posts, read 797,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hush.bereel View Post
Hemlock, that is a very helpful reply right there! Thank you. Yes, I do plan on taking the master gardener course just so that I'll have the proverbial "piece of paper" that some people (investors, clients) like to see. I have been gardening my entire life, and I have worked on small farms too. I don't have too many skills, I'll admit, but when it comes to plants I am an expert. I've learned over the years that I have a predisposition toward aquatic plants, and bog plants, but I have also enjoyed collecting various African violets and other gesneriads. I definitely plan on finding a niche and sticking to it, I just haven't fully completed any market research to know which niche I would fit me best. I also recently learned I have a fondness for carnivorous plants, so that's another niche I might look into. I've considered the bonsai market, but I think I'll always be too much of a newcomer to that market, with it having been an established market for so many decades now. I've also considered picking one plant and sticking to it, like, say, garlic or something like that. I like the idea of being able to harvest something and not have to immediately rush it to market before it spoils, like many fruits and mushrooms.

I really like that idea of specializing in a service, like grafting. That's very clever. I might have to think along the lines of a service like that.

This is good stuff, thank you all. Please keep it coming!
For the record, the Master Gardener program here has a 2 year wait. Maybe enroll first even before having a business plan. You can always back out later
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business