Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2014, 12:20 PM

3,148 posts, read 2,729,508 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartrace View Post
The OP wanted a business with a LOW start up cost (he did capitalize the "low".... )

You would need a pickup truck - 8,000 dollars used (low end)
You would need a trailer - 2,500 dollars.
You would need a commercial grade lawnmower - 5,000+ (used)
You would need weedeaters, blowers and other small equipment- 3,000 +/-

You are looking at 18 to 20 thousand dollars to do it right. I suppose you could try to use a low end mower and knock it down to 12,000 dollars start up cost.
18-20k to do a "part-time weekend" gig "right"?

Let's look at MY numbers:

PU truck - $800 (used)
Trailer? What for? - $0
Commercial Grade mower? Nah. - used CL unit $75
Optional weedeater - used CL unit $75

this stuff will work fine if the OP works 45 weeks per year @ 3-5 hrs per weekend.

$950 total, assuming the OP doesn't already have some of this stuff.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2014, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almeida93 View Post
I am not looking to make the big bucks or anything. Just want to have something to work on the weekends and make some money. Something that has a low start up cost and does not require too much experience in order to get in.

I am healthy, strong, have a car.
I know a guy who started selling railroad ties out of the back on his pickup truck when he was in high school, and it all grew into a multi-million dollar landscaping supply business.

Old 10-19-2014, 12:26 PM

2,971 posts, read 3,416,430 times
I do some general transcription work. It does, however, require some pretty fast typing. And you will work for some really crappy pay until you prove yourself.

I use a special (old IBM Model M, there's nothing like it) keyboard.

You can do this from home; there are many ebooks on Kindle about it.

Old 10-19-2014, 04:13 PM

8,050 posts, read 12,761,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy64 View Post
18-20k to do a "part-time weekend" gig "right"?

Let's look at MY numbers:

PU truck - $800 (used)
Trailer? What for? - $0
Commercial Grade mower? Nah. - used CL unit $75
Optional weedeater - used CL unit $75

this stuff will work fine if the OP works 45 weeks per year @ 3-5 hrs per weekend.

$950 total, assuming the OP doesn't already have some of this stuff.
950 bucks is still not "low startup cost" as the OP asked for. I can only imagine the headaches of trying to service customers with an 800 dollar pickup truck and 75 dollar commercial mower. Hard to keep a regular customer service schedule when you drive a wreck of a truck and have a worn out commercial mower.

Old 10-19-2014, 09:09 PM

1,267 posts, read 3,073,412 times
Yeah i dont have a truck. My skills are pretty limited although i am a strong guy and a hardworker.

I could probably put a couple hundred bucks as the initial start up investment. I am fine with making 40-50 dollars a weekend. Anything helps.

I am only looking to start and stay small dont want to burn myself out in this project.

Old 10-20-2014, 01:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartrace View Post
950 bucks is still not "low startup cost" as the OP asked for. I can only imagine the headaches of trying to service customers with an 800 dollar pickup truck and 75 dollar commercial mower. Hard to keep a regular customer service schedule when you drive a wreck of a truck and have a worn out commercial mower.
Yeah, I guess you're right. It'll take at least 18k to mow lawns part-time on weekends.

Thanks for straightening me out, champ.

Old 10-20-2014, 04:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy64 View Post
Yeah, I guess you're right. It'll take at least 18k to mow lawns part-time on weekends.

Thanks for straightening me out, champ.

All I can say is we agree to disagree. Have a great day.

Old 10-20-2014, 04:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almeida93 View Post
Yeah i dont have a truck. My skills are pretty limited although i am a strong guy and a hardworker.

I could probably put a couple hundred bucks as the initial start up investment. I am fine with making 40-50 dollars a weekend. Anything helps.

I am only looking to start and stay small dont want to burn myself out in this project.
How about a window cleaning service? Startup costs would be low and the equipment would fit easily in a car. You could do commercial and residential.

If you think about it ANYTHING that is a PITA for a homeowner might be a good opportunity. If a guy is making big bucks at a corporate job and putting in long hours the last thing he wants to do on his time off is household chores. Window washing, pressure washing, weeding flower beds, detailing automobiles....... the list is only limited by your imagination.

Last edited by Wartrace; 10-20-2014 at 05:39 AM..

Old 10-20-2014, 02:53 PM

820 posts, read 1,208,832 times
I would suggest web design/development, but you need to have real skills, not just putting a logo in a WordPress template and calling it a day. I mean if you wanna sell little 5 page $600 websites it could work. But to get real projects developing a 100-1000+ user web based system for a medium sized business, takes a team and tons of effort. (UX/IU design, Databases, Development, Marketing/Sales, PM,) If you have the eye for it and a nice camera($700+) you could get into photography doing weddings and that sort of niche. The truth is you can start a small scale business for under 2-3k.

Old 10-21-2014, 04:23 PM

18,547 posts, read 15,572,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doodlemagic View Post
I think alot of people want a passive income. THey see these tv shows like buy a house hire a couple people and flip it a week later for 50k profit. Things aren't that easy, truly passive incomes are rare, its hard to find a legit business that requires little startup.

After having tried a number ofthings I'm thinkin real estate is good but as a landlord not a flipper. You can get killed flipping if a place doesn't sell and your paying mortgage, taxes, etc there goes all your profit. Renting rents are high, if you buy in an area iwth demand you'll always have renters with little downtime and they are building equity for you as well as putting some money in your pocket every month. I know houses aren't cheap but if you buy FHA 3% down so not a ton out of pcoket. Once you aqcuire a few properties use the equity in one which was paid by someone else to buy another.
In a lot of areas prices are so high you'd be better off just putting your money in the stock market and finding a job as a property manager
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business