U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2014, 11:32 PM

11,365 posts, read 46,972,182 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by doodlemagic View Post
If its his first property he could buy it and say its a primary residence. As long as he moves in he's not lying, now if he moves out after a week and rents it after that he did his part he bought it to live in and he did live in it. He could get a property for 3% down.
Not true, most lenders would see a one week residency/occupancy as a sham. The lender guidelines I've seen and bought houses under all required at least a six month occupancy or it was considered an intent to defraud or misrepresent the loan.

In any event, it's still way more money than the OP slants to put into his sideline work.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2014, 02:57 PM

26,030 posts, read 34,400,105 times
I had a sewer rooter guy out to do all the drains. $225 for the entire house. He has a big electric snake, probably $500. He also used a smaller hand snake, that would be about $50. Took him less than an hour.

It takes a vehicle and you have to be able to answer a phone to make appointments. A box of latex gloves, a couple of old terry towels, and you don't need much more than that.

Advertise "Weekend only emergency drain cleaning"

Old 10-25-2014, 05:09 PM

3,413 posts, read 4,423,980 times
When I was in my early thirties, married with no rug rats and wife going to college I started a very small painting business. I worked swing shift and employed a few buddies I worked with as things grew.

It soon (5 years) got out of control as I had more work than I could handle and was scheduling a few months out.

Landscaping, handyman, painting or whatever.............if you are personable, smart, do really good work and return phone calls you will make money.

If there is one thing I learned.......people want to be treated right. I always returned phone calls, showed up on time for appointments and spent time with the customer. I can't tell you how many times I heard I was the only one who returned their calls or showed up.

Once you do a few jobs word spreads, paint a teachers house and your work spreads like wildfire.

I really enjoyed it but I didn't want to give up my great full time job. Whatever you chose, do it well and you will reap the rewards.

Good luck

Old 10-25-2014, 07:24 PM

3,602 posts, read 4,514,009 times
Quote:
If you think about it ANYTHING that is a PITA for a homeowner might be a good opportunity.
That's right. How about gutter cleaning? I absolutley hate cleaning the gutters, and I think most other people do to. Window cleaning is a good one. How about lawn mower and yard equipment repair? Theres a few shops around here that do it, and they all always have a fairly long waiting time. Last time I put my mower in it was almost two weeks just to replace the pull cord and sharpen the blade.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business