Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2014, 05:13 PM

1,267 posts, read 3,073,199 times

Advertisements

I am not looking to make the big bucks or anything. Just want to have something to work on the weekends and make some money. Something that has a low start up cost and does not require too much experience in order to get in.

I am healthy, strong, have a car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2014, 07:10 AM

4,003 posts, read 6,094,746 times
What would you like to do? Are you looking to make something to sell, buy items to resell, do some type of physical labor? COuld be anything from buying items from China to resellon ebay or amazon. You could go to storage auctions and buy units to resell the merchandise. If you have a car you could do a delivery service. IF your handy you could have a handyman honey do list service. Give us an idea of what you want to do as well as some skills you have any we could provide you more info. I really like the storage auction route. You can find free auctions at Your Source For Free Lists Of Storage Unit Auctions In Your Area or Find Live & Online Auctions for Antiques, Art, Cars & More at AuctionZip.com. YOu can get started with as little as $50 depending on how much acutions go for. Go resell that stuff at resale shops, on craigslist, ebay, garage sales, flea markets, etc.

Old 10-15-2014, 04:28 PM

795 posts, read 1,267,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Almeida93 View Post
I am not looking to make the big bucks or anything. Just want to have something to work on the weekends and make some money. Something that has a low start up cost and does not require too much experience in order to get in.

I am healthy, strong, have a car.
You could deliver pizzas...

Okay, just kidding... sorta.

I agree with doodlemagic... depends on what you want to do. Sometimes the best option is to work for someone else.

Think I'm going to scream if another one of my friends say "I want to get into real estate" or "I want to flip houses". I'm thinking, be original!!!!

Old 10-16-2014, 06:22 AM

8,048 posts, read 12,758,913 times
Dog poop cleanup service. All you would need is a portable shop vac and some advertising. A lot of people with multiple dogs would gladly pay to have the poop removed from their yard on a regular basis. There are even dog poop franchises believe it or not. I would not suggest buying a franchise but the business model would work for you.

Old 10-16-2014, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by King_of_DC View Post
You could deliver pizzas...

Okay, just kidding... sorta.

I agree with doodlemagic... depends on what you want to do. Sometimes the best option is to work for someone else.

Think I'm going to scream if another one of my friends say "I want to get into real estate" or "I want to flip houses". I'm thinking, be original!!!!
I think alot of people want a passive income. THey see these tv shows like buy a house hire a couple people and flip it a week later for 50k profit. Things aren't that easy, truly passive incomes are rare, its hard to find a legit business that requires little startup.

After having tried a number ofthings I'm thinkin real estate is good but as a landlord not a flipper. You can get killed flipping if a place doesn't sell and your paying mortgage, taxes, etc there goes all your profit. Renting rents are high, if you buy in an area iwth demand you'll always have renters with little downtime and they are building equity for you as well as putting some money in your pocket every month. I know houses aren't cheap but if you buy FHA 3% down so not a ton out of pcoket. Once you aqcuire a few properties use the equity in one which was paid by someone else to buy another.

Old 10-16-2014, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartrace View Post
Dog poop cleanup service. All you would need is a portable shop vac and some advertising. A lot of people with multiple dogs would gladly pay to have the poop removed from their yard on a regular basis. There are even dog poop franchises believe it or not. I would not suggest buying a franchise but the business model would work for you.
Why a shop vac? Wouldn't you just pick the poop up?

Old 10-16-2014, 02:50 PM

32,632 posts, read 47,964,911 times
Weekends only and little start-up, you are talking about some sort of service industry. Rent-a-husband (handyman), gardener, weekend nanny, pet sitting, relief elder care, yard waste hauling, or free metal pick-up.

Old 10-16-2014, 02:55 PM

9,846 posts, read 7,709,490 times
Ask your friends who own businesses if they need any help. They might need extra help but don't want to go to the expense of hiring a regular employee - cleaning the office, counting inventory, paperwork, working on their website, etc.

Old 10-16-2014, 03:37 PM

8,048 posts, read 12,758,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doodlemagic View Post
Why a shop vac? Wouldn't you just pick the poop up?
Lot of bending and stooping plus if it is "fresh" it tends to stick to the grass whereas if it is sucked up it tends to be removed in its entirety. Also the cost of plastic gloves vs charging the portable shop vac in your vehicle (cigar lighter adaptor) is a savings.

Old 10-16-2014, 03:49 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,921,623 times
You can be a part time caterer. Like if someone throwing down a huge bash on the weekends, you can cook all the food for them. Of course you have to keep this on the hush hush or else the FDA, or Municipal Health Dept will require you get a commercial license for your kitchen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business