Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2014, 09:05 AM

4,792 posts, read 8,188,709 times

Advertisements

We had a Papa John's franchise in the area years ago and I thought it was good. They disappeared. Now we have a new Papa John's franchise in the area. The sauce is no where as good as I remembered it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2014, 11:30 AM

3,201 posts, read 4,409,928 times
i used to eat papa johns years ago

i liked the garlic butter sauce

it's pizza, i'll eat most pizza and so will most everyone else, why wouldnt they be in business?

pizza is cheap to produce so i'm sure there is good margin and papa johns is very profitable

Old 11-09-2014, 12:11 PM

4,003 posts, read 6,099,271 times
I actually like Papa Johns though like you said I realize it's the further thing from a legit pie but for some reason i like it, I think its the garlic sauce, I'd eat a shoe soul with that garlic sauce. THere's plenty of other options ie pizza hut, dominoes, etc not sure why you'd order papa johns if you know you hate it. I worked there for a year during high school. I notice not many of them around anymore.

Old 11-09-2014, 05:12 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,473,841 times
They have a product that appeals to the masses. Bland wins the masses

The best selling car is the Camry, not Mustang or Charger.

Old 11-09-2014, 05:37 PM

14,375 posts, read 18,372,221 times
My hometown in Jersey could support precisely one chain pizza restaurant. There was one Pizza Hut, and it was still limping along when I left. And there was a Domino's one town over. Keep in mind there were also about 30 local pizza places in my town (not even exaggerating). I tried to count them all and stopped somewhere in the 20s.

Domino's and Pizza Hut were just not considered "pizza," just like Olive Garden was acceptable but not considered "real" Italian food. The fast food versions of these local specialties were just not evaluated along the same lines, the same way you wouldn't compare Taco Bell to actual Mexican food.

A Papa John's came into the area several years before I moved away. The local reaction after a few weeks of novelty was "meh." Business dropped off quickly and it closed within a year. There just wasn't that much room in the market for more of what was locally viewed a sort of "alternative pizza."

For someone who just wants a crust, sauce and cheese concoction without too much experience with regard to high-quality versions, Papa John's seems just fine. But I grew up in an area where everyone made their own dough and sauce and spun the crust thin. You can't put that in the same class as chain pizza.

Old 11-09-2014, 05:53 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,983,881 times
I can tell you this; the marketing on Papa Johns boxes is misleading and someday they will get sued into Oblivian. Their ingredients arent high quality and in fact the grade "cheese" they buy from Sorrento is the lowest available (in fact Sorrento had to lower their standards to meet what Papa Johns wanted!). It's sad but a typical trend; the company started out as high quality and then over the last few years massively cut corners to get their costs as low as possible. Many large corporations have done this. Pizza Hut, Dominos, Papa Johns are just a few of the pizza chains... Their garlic sauce, pizza sauce, bread and cheese is mostly cheap industrial chemicals. *sigh* only in the US can companies get away with this nonsense.

Old 11-09-2014, 06:05 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,258,906 times
Some people, probably pretty many, like Papa John's, even though you have the opinion that its disgusting.

I've tasted better, but I seen worse as well.

The fact that you have the same level of disgust for different PJ franchisees in different cities is actually a feather in the company's cap. Chains strive for uniformity, travelers and others know what to expect if they've had the product before.

Old 11-09-2014, 06:06 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,233,609 times
I like Papa Johns. Like Dominos too, and Pizza Hut, and Papa Murphy's. I guess I'm a hick. I don't care much for Godfathers, however.

I used to be a huge Shakey's fan. We searched them out while traveling. We didn't have one in (or near) the town we lived in for years, so we'd travel 300+ miles (round trip) some nights just for a Shakey's pizza. Finally one opened up in town and we were able to enjoy it just across the street from where I worked... until it burned to the ground one night.

Old 11-09-2014, 06:28 PM

12,108 posts, read 23,278,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
I'm amused by pizza snobs

You and me both.

Old 11-09-2014, 06:35 PM

293 posts, read 909,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbuszu View Post
I can tell you this; the marketing on Papa Johns boxes is misleading and someday they will get sued into Oblivian. Their ingredients arent high quality and in fact the grade "cheese" they buy from Sorrento is the lowest available (in fact Sorrento had to lower their standards to meet what Papa Johns wanted!). It's sad but a typical trend; the company started out as high quality and then over the last few years massively cut corners to get their costs as low as possible. Many large corporations have done this. Pizza Hut, Dominos, Papa Johns are just a few of the pizza chains... Their garlic sauce, pizza sauce, bread and cheese is mostly cheap industrial chemicals. *sigh* only in the US can companies get away with this nonsense.
That's probably the reason they are so popular. If it's mostly cheap industrial chemicals, it probably has very few calories. Dieter's Heaven!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business