Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2016, 08:42 AM

32,647 posts, read 48,040,180 times

Advertisements

I have never eaten there, so can't comment on the the food. However, some of it is price related. A delivery from the good pizza place in town is in the $30 range. You get a mighty fine pizza for $30. Many families are happy to get a less fine pizza for 1/3 the price. Their kids eat it and don't complain, no one has to cook, and it fits into the budget better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2016, 12:38 PM

2,691 posts, read 1,667,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maf763 View Post
I've never eaten that stuff (or other chain pizza) because the ads look disgusting, but their success is based on what you said - it is familiar. Plenty of people are afraid to try something new or bother to do even the slightest research about alternatives. With so many online review of even local pizza joints, it's not that hard to find an alternative, but I guess for some, that's too much work. I don't think it's about perception - you knew yourself it would be disgusting - it's about familiarity and convenience.
Having read th online reviews of good pizzas from Yelp and other sites and ordering from them has landed me with thick pizzas loaded with crummy fat layer of cheese and terrible veggies. Just because one has a Italian name and speaks with a Italian accent does not mean that he can make great pizzas. I prefer Papa Johns to all these so called authentic Italian Pizzas.

Old 08-31-2016, 05:49 AM

2,157 posts, read 1,443,972 times
Although I've been eating pizza for decades, I must not be a connoisseur because I really enjoy papa john's pizza...especially pep/mush

Old 08-31-2016, 05:47 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,157,635 times
A lot really has to do with the competence of the local franchise owner. That being said, Papa John's isn't notable for enforcing brand standards.

Say what you will about McDonalds, but you can travel almost anywhere and a McDonald's hamburger will taste pretty much the same as the McDonald's close to where you live. The only exception I can think of was the time I went to a McDonald's in New Zealand, took one bite, and discovered that they had put beets, BEETS, on their burger.

Old 09-03-2016, 07:38 PM

193 posts, read 183,335 times
Our local papa John's has gone downhill. Last town I lived in had an amazing pizza hut. I think it was well managed and the staff good. Pizza was always good and salad bar was always fresh. Plus the restaurant was spotless.

Old 09-05-2016, 12:57 AM

2,914 posts, read 2,688,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TravelingBluesBrother View Post
I ordered some Papa John's last week, and it was literally the most disgusting thing I've ever put in my mouth.
I say the same thing about Domino's. I heard about the "new recipe" and finally got around to trying it. It was horrible even considering that I hadn't eaten all day and was starving. It was really dry and just all around lame. Fortunately there's a mom and pop pizza place down the street from me that makes their pizza's fresh -- not from frozen pre-fab dough.

Tom Leykis always jokes that when you have kids you have to eat at Pappa Johns. No kids and you get to eat the good fresh stuff.

Old 09-05-2016, 01:40 AM

9,891 posts, read 11,766,452 times
One thing about the Pizza business is different restaurants under the same franchise will be different tasting, etc.

This is changing. Domino's just announced is is just opening the first of their restaurants in the Silicon Valley, where machines make the Pizza. You will be able to place your order and pay your money at a computer screen order kiosk, and the machine will make that exact pizza every time. Someone to keep putting big amounts of ingredients into the machine, which will then use those ingredients as requested to make and bake the pizza. Someone to pass out the pizzas, and some one to keep the restaurant area clean, instead of lots of employees. Due to the far lower cost to operate the restaurant they can improve the pizza and keep the current prices.

The demand for $15 an hour jobs at fast food restaurants is being met by automation. The great thing is, your pizza or hamburger will be the same no matter where you go, due to the automated machines. Both are just going into the first restaurants, and will spread fast to keep down the cost of operations for the restaurants. The first automated hamburger making equipment was developed 50 years ago, but as labor was cheap it was cheaper to use human help. Now that the cost of human help is more expensive than using automated equipment, they are not starting to automate, and over the next 5 years or so, it will become standard.

Old 09-05-2016, 03:03 AM

4,490 posts, read 3,930,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
One thing about the Pizza business is different restaurants under the same franchise will be different tasting, etc.

This is changing. Domino's just announced is is just opening the first of their restaurants in the Silicon Valley, where machines make the Pizza. You will be able to place your order and pay your money at a computer screen order kiosk, and the machine will make that exact pizza every time. Someone to keep putting big amounts of ingredients into the machine, which will then use those ingredients as requested to make and bake the pizza. Someone to pass out the pizzas, and some one to keep the restaurant area clean, instead of lots of employees. Due to the far lower cost to operate the restaurant they can improve the pizza and keep the current prices.

The demand for $15 an hour jobs at fast food restaurants is being met by automation. The great thing is, your pizza or hamburger will be the same no matter where you go, due to the automated machines. Both are just going into the first restaurants, and will spread fast to keep down the cost of operations for the restaurants. The first automated hamburger making equipment was developed 50 years ago, but as labor was cheap it was cheaper to use human help. Now that the cost of human help is more expensive than using automated equipment, they are not starting to automate, and over the next 5 years or so, it will become standard.
I wonder what it would cost to get an In-N-Out Double Double machine for my house.

Old 09-05-2016, 07:35 AM

3,639 posts, read 3,340,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post

The demand for $15 an hour jobs at fast food restaurants is being met by automation.
The moving forward of technology and production costs of said technology are what's bringing forth automation. Has nothing to do with the $15 an hour crowd. Automation would come regardless of whether or not there is a demand for higher wages.

Self Checkouts have been around long before these wage demands
ATMs
Factories have been using machines and robots to create things for decades now
Computers automate trivial tasks in most every profession -- yet you still need people to operate them!

We could even go as far back as the Industrial Revolution to see history repeating here. New "scary" technology comes out, and everyone freaks out and points fingers.

Automation comes regardless of labor costs. It is more efficient than any human, can work 24/7, and never asks for anything in return. That being said, SOMEONE will need to program it, SOMEONE will need to maintain it, SOMEONE will need to build it, SOMEONE will need to design it. The list goes on.

What I see here is an evolution of the workplace, not just some people asking for higher wages being the cause.

Old 10-05-2016, 01:58 PM

2,201 posts, read 1,876,287 times
Fair prices, adequate pizza, advertising, jobs, fast delivery, good demographic placement customer, friendly
service.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business