Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-09-2015, 04:48 PM

55 posts, read 52,719 times

Advertisements

At least once a week I have a solicitor on my property trying to sell me garbage I don't want or need. They ignore my clearly posted "No Soliciting" sign and get very argumentative when pointed out.

The police have been less than helpful and it's getting quite old.

And I can't just refuse to answer the door for 2 reasons:

1. It will just cause them to mark me down as not home and they keep coming back at later dates until they talk to someone.

2. Many burglars case homes by knocking on doors, then when no one answers, assume no one is home and break in. And if someone does answer they use a sales pitch as a cover. So if I don't answer the door it could lead to an attempted break in.

So here's what I do: I amend the sign to say "No Soliciting. Violators will be assumed to be burglars casing homes, and so if you ignore this sign and knock anyway, I will be following you on your rounds to monitor your activity."

Then if a solicitor is dumb enough to ignore THAT sign and knock anyway, I come out and say:

"Alrighty then, you saw the sign. Lead the way, which house are we going to next?"

So now they've got a partner. And I'll be going to every doorstep with them and telling every homeowner why I am there and what my suspicions are and therefore encouraging them NOT to give the solicitor any money.

So now the solicitor has no choice but to call their boss, explain the situation and leave the area for the day, as obviously they won't be making any sales that day with me around.

The solicitor has no restraining order saying I can't monitor them in my own neighborhood, and the Supreme Court has ruled multiple times that you have no expectation of privacy in public.

So could I do this?
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2015, 05:05 PM

50,388 posts, read 64,050,629 times
Do you have a peep hole? If you do not, get one. You are under no obligation to open your door to uninvited callers. Your argument about burglars casing the joint is bogus. Take down the signs. They are tacky. It really sounds like you get off on confronting these people.

Does your city require solicitors to register? Maybe you could work on this requirement.

I do not know where you live that this happens so often. I thought door to door solicitors went out with the Fuller Brush man in the 1960s. All we get is the occasional Jehovah's Witnesses.

Old 10-09-2015, 05:12 PM

2,869 posts, read 4,455,624 times
Install an outside intercom system. The person pushes the button and you answer from inside the house.

Listen, then decide if YOU want to talk to them. If not, say goodbye.

Jim B.

Old 10-09-2015, 09:44 PM

17,714 posts, read 29,849,261 times
Move to Colorado.
What is the

Old 10-09-2015, 10:11 PM

2,993 posts, read 4,309,970 times
While not solicitors per say, I have honest to god opened the door on several occasions stark naked when the Jehovah witnesses come around. They never came back. Maybe this would also work for salesmen?

Old 10-10-2015, 05:45 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,593 posts, read 81,279,384 times
Our city has solved this problem. I don't think your idea would be illegal in any way, but it could earn you a reputation as the neighborhood nut. Our police have little else to do and will respond, and in fact arrest violators. Here is how we handle them:
Attached Thumbnails
Could I legally do this to a door to door solicitor-nosol.png  

Old 10-10-2015, 05:52 AM

10,075 posts, read 7,550,672 times
just answer door with a shotgun, a few times and they won't come by

Old 10-10-2015, 05:58 AM

45,444 posts, read 60,653,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Our city has solved this problem. I don't think your idea would be illegal in any way, but it could earn you a reputation as the neighborhood nut. Our police have little else to do and will respond, and in fact arrest violators. Here is how we handle them:
That's a real typical ordinance. The only thing, and I see there's an exempt category, is Girl Scouts (although cookie sales aren't door to door so much anymore. The parents have taken it over like so many other things), Boy Scouts, etc. will have a harder time.

Having said that, if all someone has to get pissed off about is a solicitor (for whatever) a couple times a month I'd say your life is going pretty well.

Old 10-10-2015, 07:46 AM

8,005 posts, read 7,234,235 times
What kind of solicitors? What do they get angry about? Tell us the whole story.

Old 10-10-2015, 07:51 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,294,526 times
A fence and an electronic gate with an intercom are your only real option. There's a reason why truly rich people live in fortress enclaves. The upper middle class equivalent is the gated community.

I live on a short private lane. My house is invisible from the street. It's really unusual for a solicitor to knock on my door. I telecommute so I'm home most of the time. I might get 2 or 3 knocks on my door per year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business