Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2014, 12:27 PM

4,366 posts, read 4,578,178 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbuszu View Post
I took the Dale Carnegie Sales course. A lot of the information is common sense, but putting it into practice (which you are forced to do) is awesome. I found that even as an experienced sales person and business owner, the items I learned were valuable (and even today, years later, knowing how to do a 15 and 30 second elevator pitch describing myself or my business, is something I refer to a lot).

The class I attended had a very broad spectrum of sales people, some with little to no experience to others like me that were looking for tips and hints to get better at what we do. Everyone benefited.
Do you think a course like that would help me present information to my students and get them to buy-in to what I tell them about the benefits of my subject?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2014, 01:42 PM

587 posts, read 915,429 times
I have gone to presentations given by Dale Carnegie teachers at business conferences and found that they were pretty engaging, enough so that I looked into taking a course. I was less interested when I found out they were 2k!

Toastmasters is much cheaper. If you look around, you may find other free or very reasonable workshops that teach similar skills. I think any in person course would be more valuable than an online course for this type of skill. Have you looked into your local SCORE or SBDC office?

Old 11-11-2014, 01:47 PM

8,087 posts, read 9,834,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmb501 View Post
Has anyone ever signed up for these? Were they effective in helping you reach your goal? If you've read any of my other threads, you know that I sometimes worry about my communication skills (I've even gotten tested for Asperger's, but I haven't gotten the results.) and frequently obsess over ways to become a more engaging and entertaining personality. I'm familiar with How to Win Friends and Influence People and I think it has a lot of good advice. I was wondering if these courses and seminars could really help me hone my skills.
I took the Public Speaking and Manager courses. My company insisted and the Owner was a disciple of Carnegie having gone through several course. Finest business leader I have ever met. Folks think I am fairly good at what I do. It is all part of training for situations as Harry Chickpea mentioned.

Old 11-13-2014, 09:48 AM

2,776 posts, read 3,982,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmb501 View Post
Do you think a course like that would help me present information to my students and get them to buy-in to what I tell them about the benefits of my subject?
The Sales Course definitely would be helpful to you as the teachings are relevant to all aspects of interpersonal relations. If they have something related to Leadership, that might be helpful as well.

Old 11-13-2014, 03:03 PM

4,366 posts, read 4,578,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harlowvart View Post

Toastmasters is much cheaper.

It is. In my area it's only about $60 per year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business