Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2014, 03:53 PM

4,003 posts, read 6,098,331 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahsez View Post
Chick-fil-a usually has long lines around here. It's considered a healthier food. Some of the schools bring it in for their extracurricular activities when they need to feed the kids. I know people who absolutely love the food. Their political stance probably makes them more popular. I think a lot of people eat there during the week since they can't eat there on Sunday.
I dont know I'd call chick filet healthy by any means but I do think they have a superior quality of ingredients than most other fast food places.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2014, 04:49 PM

26,191 posts, read 21,579,426 times
Just because you are open one more day a week and have higher revenue doesn't mean your company will make more money. Profitability can be damaged by turnover and declining morale. Even if those two didn't offset the additional revenue it could diminish the value of the added revenue/profit

Old 12-13-2014, 02:47 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,342,958 times
Several thoughts.

1. They may not make any money on Sunday but they also don't have to pay anyone to be at work.

2. Many families that I know like to get together at their homes for Sunday dinner or spend time with other family members on Sunday. Other people that I know just want to relax and spend time at home. I look up and down my street on a Sunday and even for those that don't go to Church they seem to stay home.

3. It is there business and it seems to work for them. They don't seem to mind if they are making more money or not. As far as I can tell they are never going to miss the money because they never had money rolling in on a Sunday anyway.

Old 12-13-2014, 03:09 PM

7,080 posts, read 8,943,199 times
$500 million a year.

When Mike Huckabee had his "Chick-Fil-A Day" there were long lines at every location and they ran out of food before the day was over.

Chick-Fil-A expects their franchisees to be church goers, but let's say I was a Seventh Day Adventist and wanted to close on Saturday instead, not sure how that would play out.

Old 12-15-2014, 03:53 PM

17,400 posts, read 11,972,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by woxyroxme View Post
$500 million a year.

When Mike Huckabee had his "Chick-Fil-A Day" there were long lines at every location and they ran out of food before the day was over.

Chick-Fil-A expects their franchisees to be church goers, but let's say I was a Seventh Day Adventist and wanted to close on Saturday instead, not sure how that would play out.
Franchisees are not employees. Again, I seriously doubt they EXPECT employees to go to church.

And no, you can't close on Saturday. But you don't have to buy a Chik-fil-a either.

Old 12-18-2014, 04:51 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,605,154 times
They miss out on my money. There is no Chick-Fil-A in my town, but there is one in the town where I do most of my weekend shopping (often on Sundays). Many times I have started to stop there, then remember they're closed. I usually end up going to the Wendy's next door to it.

Same thing with Hobby Lobby, I was doing Christmas shopping last weekend, on a Sunday, and they were closed. Ended up going to Michaels.

Old 12-23-2014, 07:28 AM

3,503 posts, read 7,497,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
Several thoughts.

1. They may not make any money on Sunday but they also don't have to pay anyone to be at work.

2. Many families that I know like to get together at their homes for Sunday dinner or spend time with other family members on Sunday. Other people that I know just want to relax and spend time at home. I look up and down my street on a Sunday and even for those that don't go to Church they seem to stay home.

3. It is there business and it seems to work for them. They don't seem to mind if they are making more money or not. As far as I can tell they are never going to miss the money because they never had money rolling in on a Sunday anyway.
1. That matters a lot. I expect Sunday to be a pretty slow day after lunch time, so not paying out labor costs is a big deal. In a past lifetime, I was a graveyard manager at Whataburger. Things were definitely slower until midweek and that applied to my business even further back as well. So much, in fact, that it wasn't worth it to be open Sunday or Monday. Lights, employees, and electrical still cost me money when I can hear myself think.

2. I may pass by CFA on a Sunday or give it some thought, but I usually don't get out too far on Sunday. If I'm working a project, I'm resting up for the next round of 4-10s.

Old 12-23-2014, 04:02 PM

659 posts, read 940,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post

Uh, I think someone is telling you stories.

22 People Share Their Unethical (But Extremely Effective) Life Hacks | Thought Catalog

It's on Reddit too, a lot of previous Chik-fil-A employees also acknowledged it as true. FFS, it's even on their website!

http://www.chick-fil-a.com/Story/Detail/5867

Why don't you do research before assuming that I'm making something up?

Old 12-24-2014, 11:59 AM

14,611 posts, read 17,551,696 times
Quote:
Your point is slightly obvious. You might as well mention that they don't have to buy the chicken they don't sell, or to pay for electricity beyond what is needed for security.

Operational income is the revenue minus the transitory expenses like salaries, power, and other cost of items you are selling. Most businesses have a positive operational income even on their slow days.

Your point applies to KFC as well, but since each location makes a tiny fraction per year compared to Chick-Fil-A they need to stay open on Sundays to make back their fixed expenses like lease cost for the building, general and administrative, insurance, etc.

Brand loyalty matters a lot. Some people don't say I'm hungry, what is open? They say I like Chick-Fil-A once a week, and they go when it is open. For every person turned off by their political/religious stance, there are sometimes two that go out of their way to give them business.

Since they return the highest revenue per location of any of the top 50 quick service chains I must assume that brand loyalty takes good care of them. If they have enough "old time religion" clients, it is possible their revenue would go down if they opened on Sunday, as some people would be disappointed at their change in ethical stance.

I was in Munich once (decades ago) on a Sunday and nothing was open. I couldn't find a sandwich. I commented that in the USA they would legally allow people to open, and the most ambitious places (often run by immigrants) would serve food. My friend commented that would start a flood of competition and soon everyone's Sunday would be ruined. Sort of like the competition to get people to shop on Thanksgiving in recent years.

Just as some people won't shop on Thanksgiving out of principal, I think many of Chick-Fil-A's customers go there because they like the fact that the company respects the sabbath.

Old 12-24-2014, 12:31 PM

9,614 posts, read 21,267,886 times
Quote:
I agree with this, and think that many people who do go out to eat on Sunday (the "After Church Crowd") are more inclined to go for a traditional sit-down restaurant rather than fast food.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business