Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2014, 03:09 PM

54 posts, read 89,632 times

Advertisements

When I worked low wage jobs in college and high school, I always wanted to work on Sundays. Weekends are the perfect time for a student to work, and If I ever wanted Sunday off, I would just have to request it. Low wage jobs have very flexible scheduling. This giving employees 'rest' on Sundays is a joke. Chick Fil A closes on Sunday as some sort of attention seeking principle. Chick Fil A fries are soggy, the chicken is good but it's not that good. I don't get what the big deal about that place is. It's just fast food.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2014, 03:17 PM

54 posts, read 89,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabiya View Post
22 People Share Their Unethical (But Extremely Effective) Life Hacks | Thought Catalog

It's on Reddit too, a lot of previous Chik-fil-A employees also acknowledged it as true. FFS, it's even on their website!

Forgot My Wallet | Chick fil A

Why don't you do research before assuming that I'm making something up?
It is made up. I never heard of this policy, but about two years ago I went to a Chick Fil A drive through and forgot my wallet at home. I was already in the drive through line, ordered, and couldn't get out with cars lined up behind me. I went to the window embarrassed, telling them I lived right around the corner and I would be right back with the money. I came back 10 minutes later and paid for my food.

Old 12-26-2014, 10:36 PM

5,511 posts, read 4,476,539 times
Was it this thread? Someone mentioned you can put in an order at Chick-Fil-A, cancel it 10s later, and they'll give it to you for free since they hate wasting food. Very noble of them, but it seems to rife for abuse.

I once went to Meatheads, wanted to use up the last $3.60 something on my gift receipt. I asked if they could confirm the amount first. They responded I need to put in an order first. I did, and then told me they couldn't make the gift receipt go through. I told them the whole point of me ordering was to use up that last amount of credit, and to please cancel the order. Ditto here... they already started making it, and would rather not throw it away. They can afford to lose $$ on a hamburger here, and said they'll just give it to me, free of charge.

Old 12-26-2014, 10:48 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drazda View Post
When I worked low wage jobs in college and high school, I always wanted to work on Sundays. Weekends are the perfect time for a student to work, and If I ever wanted Sunday off, I would just have to request it. Low wage jobs have very flexible scheduling. This giving employees 'rest' on Sundays is a joke. Chick Fil A closes on Sunday as some sort of attention seeking principle. Chick Fil A fries are soggy, the chicken is good but it's not that good. I don't get what the big deal about that place is. It's just fast food.
It really doesn't matter if you think its a joke or attention getting; they decide. Its apparently very successfully run. People like it and is all that matters.

Old 12-26-2014, 11:35 PM

14,611 posts, read 17,562,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
Anecdotal, but every time I want Chick-Fil-A they are closed. Subway gets my business instead.
There is a survey every year that shows how much the average location makes for the top 50 quick service chains. It is not anecdotal.

Old 12-28-2014, 07:54 PM

181 posts, read 140,314 times
Quote:
This giving employees 'rest' on Sundays is a joke. Chick Fil A closes on Sunday as some sort of attention seeking principle.
I vaguely remember back in the early 1990's (approximately 20,000 years ago), smaller businesses (e.g. Ace Hardware, boutique stores) were closed on Sundays and larger businesses (e.g. Home Depot, BB, yes Circuit City, The Good Guys (like BB and CC), Target, etc) opened only up to noon or 1. Grocery stores remained opened--most families shopped for grocery on this day.
Stores made the news when they started to remain opened on Sun. in late '90s?

This was in northern CA.

(If it wasn't for college football, I wouldn't have heard of Chick-Fil-A).

Last edited by R2max; 12-28-2014 at 07:58 PM.. Reason: PAC-12 Country

Old 12-31-2014, 02:08 PM

600 posts, read 754,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabiya View Post
22 People Share Their Unethical (But Extremely Effective) Life Hacks | Thought Catalog

It's on Reddit too, a lot of previous Chik-fil-A employees also acknowledged it as true. FFS, it's even on their website!

Forgot My Wallet | Chick fil A

Why don't you do research before assuming that I'm making something up?
That last link is about a one time occurrence, not an actual policy that they have so it looks like their so called "generosity" has been hyper-inflated.

Old 12-31-2014, 02:12 PM

600 posts, read 754,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ackmondual View Post
Was it this thread? Someone mentioned you can put in an order at Chick-Fil-A, cancel it 10s later, and they'll give it to you for free since they hate wasting food. Very noble of them, but it seems to rife for abuse.

I once went to Meatheads, wanted to use up the last $3.60 something on my gift receipt. I asked if they could confirm the amount first. They responded I need to put in an order first. I did, and then told me they couldn't make the gift receipt go through. I told them the whole point of me ordering was to use up that last amount of credit, and to please cancel the order. Ditto here... they already started making it, and would rather not throw it away. They can afford to lose $$ on a hamburger here, and said they'll just give it to me, free of charge.
Chick-Fil-A does not have that policy.

Old 01-30-2015, 09:31 AM

30 posts, read 89,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
All they're losing out on is more gross.
The net return on that business is all that counts. Think it through.

They probably lose out on far more sales with their social policies.
That's like saying, I shouldn't work any more because I am just going to pay more taxes????

Old 01-30-2015, 10:19 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,157,635 times
Quote:
This is a bizarre statement. There are much less expensive ways to get attention than being closed one-seventh of the week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business