Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-28-2014, 05:46 AM

2,173 posts, read 2,581,312 times

Advertisements

Take a look at this, just mad!:

BBC News - 'Black Friday': Police called to supermarket crowds

Don't really understand it. I mean, I believe that businesses should be free to do this and people can do what they want... More Profit for businesses and so on. But I also personally think this shows how rude and desperate many people are! Think I'd rather spend more on stuff than be anyone of these sad, sad people! The things people do for technology and expensive stuff in this country is the kinda stuff people will do for water and shelter in others! The first world just needs to grow up really!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2014, 07:05 AM

5,652 posts, read 6,986,182 times
Well, our other foreign policy initiatives to promote democracy haven't amounted to snuff, so might as well try to take over the world by exporting our maniacal greed, envy and gluttony!

Old 11-29-2014, 11:25 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,451,703 times
It looks like it's not just the Americans then that are into this stuff!

I didn't realize Black Friday was a thing in the UK too!

Old 11-29-2014, 12:29 PM

2,173 posts, read 2,581,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
It looks like it's not just the Americans then that are into this stuff!

I didn't realize Black Friday was a thing in the UK too!
This is the first year it's happened, meaning 2 countries outside America have really taken to it - The UK, and China (you know that "communist" country that is more like a capitalist one...)
I've heard of it before mind, it was on South Park last year, maybe that's why it took off here? LOL

America... Thanks for giving Britain Rock n' Roll, Malls and budweiser... But you can stick Black Friday up your hairy...! No offense though

Old 11-29-2014, 06:21 PM

3,766 posts, read 4,102,538 times
Black Friday has always been ridiculously stupid in the US. It is unfortunate that the UK has picked up on it.

You are thanking us for giving you shopping malls and Budweiser?? You must be kidding. Well, thank you for giving us small shops, brewpubs, and craft beers.

Old 11-29-2014, 06:35 PM

102,203 posts, read 107,859,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by james777 View Post
Black Friday has always been ridiculously stupid in the US.
No, it hasn't. It's a relatively recent phenomenon. The photos people have been posting aren't believable. Most, if not all of them, are taken from films that are spoofs on the whole concept of bargain shopping. The events in those photos never happened except on a film set.

Old 11-30-2014, 01:15 PM

2,420 posts, read 3,848,705 times
Somethings people do on Black Friday just makes me speechless. In Los Angeles two adults, a lady and a man, fought over a $5 Barbie doll. The lady socked the man in the face. The man was eventually arrested by the police. I also saw on the news someone trying to grab away a large TV set from a person walking to the register with it. I saw news clips of people being trampled as they laid on the ground at store entrances by herds of people rushing to get inside. How about all those people that are first to get inside the store? They are celebrating as if they just finished running the Boston Marathon. They act like what they did was such a gigantic feat. SMH.

-Cheers.

Old 11-30-2014, 01:28 PM

260 posts, read 326,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jas182 View Post
Take a look at this, just mad!:

BBC News - 'Black Friday': Police called to supermarket crowds

Don't really understand it. I mean, I believe that businesses should be free to do this and people can do what they want... More Profit for businesses and so on. But I also personally think this shows how rude and desperate many people are! Think I'd rather spend more on stuff than be anyone of these sad, sad people! The things people do for technology and expensive stuff in this country is the kinda stuff people will do for water and shelter in others! The first world just needs to grow up really!

It's a tribute to modern day consumerism. People get into fist fights over $20 dollar savings on a $300 purchase that they don't really need.

Old 12-06-2014, 12:12 AM

6,502 posts, read 7,531,718 times
In Mexico there is something similar called Buen Fin or Good End AKA Good Weekend. This event is a copy cat of the Black Friday in the US.

El Buen Fin - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

How can you have Black Friday in the UK if there is no "Day after Thanksgiving." When do Brits do Black Friday?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business