Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2014, 07:59 AM

4,003 posts, read 6,097,725 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Hospitality View Post
I guess stick to the physical auction houses if they are cheaper. I doubt it though. Even with the .30 cents, eBay/PayPal is cheap. . You don't have to accept PayPal, however. Cash in person, just like a traditional auction, will work with eBay.
Physical auction houses are fun to go to but downside ebay is bringing an audience worldwide of thousands if not hundreds of thousands of people where as even a great local auction house you MAY get a few hundred.

As for allowing in person pickups if its cash thats fine but don't do it with Paypal. If the buyer opens a dispute later ebay will ask you if you have a tracking number and if not will give the buyer their item back so they keep your item and get the money back. This is a huge flaw in the ebay system which they themselves acknowledge. They force you to accept Paypal and then provide no means for you to verify delivery.

Don't Get Burned by Ebay's Flawed Policy on Local Pick-Up Auctions!!! ~ Rules For Rebels
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2014, 11:45 AM

21,863 posts, read 25,129,659 times
People gripe about anything that used to be free being taken away from them. Ebay back in the day used to be very cheap since the company wasn't really trying to be profitable as much as catch on. Now they're trying to make money. They have to pay for servers, starting salary is around $80k, median salary well into the six figures.

There's always Craiglist. eBay means you don't have to deal with people trying to get you to drive 20 miles out to meet them, showing up and trying and saying they only have $100 when you agreed on $120 but they had to drive all the way out here and spend gas, blah blah. Go use Craigslist if eBay's fees bother you.

Old 12-03-2014, 11:47 AM

8,087 posts, read 9,836,106 times
True. There is bonanza.com if I am not mistaken but traffic was light when I checked there.

Old 12-03-2014, 12:34 PM

17,400 posts, read 11,972,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doodlemagic View Post
Didn't say it should be simply commenting on how amazon is a better platform for certain items where as ebay is better for others. This should be considered by both buyers and sellers when deciding where to sell or where to look.

People are obviously making money on amazon otherwise it wouldn't be in business but i amazes me how a reseller can make any money when your paying 15% in fees. Figure if you're working off 20% margins which is actually pretty big after amazon fees your at 5%. Is it even worth selling at that cost? I imainge many people simply use amazon to try to drive traffic and buyers off amazon and to their personal website where they are maybe paying 3% on the high end in merchant fees.
They might be trying, but it's not allowed. Amazon won't let you put links, emails, etc on your Amazon page that might do that. They are very proactive about protecting that.

Old 12-03-2014, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
People gripe about anything that used to be free being taken away from them. Ebay back in the day used to be very cheap since the company wasn't really trying to be profitable as much as catch on. Now they're trying to make money. They have to pay for servers, starting salary is around $80k, median salary well into the six figures.

There's always Craiglist. eBay means you don't have to deal with people trying to get you to drive 20 miles out to meet them, showing up and trying and saying they only have $100 when you agreed on $120 but they had to drive all the way out here and spend gas, blah blah. Go use Craigslist if eBay's fees bother you.
Plenty of people gripe about the price, but I think a more legiimate gripe is about certain policies that favor buyers, not allowing sellers to leave neg feedback for buyers, etc things like that. That said like you said its ebays site htey make the rules if people don't like it they can seek other options.

Old 12-03-2014, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
They might be trying, but it's not allowed. Amazon won't let you put links, emails, etc on your Amazon page that might do that. They are very proactive about protecting that.
Ebay is the same way, its understandable they don't want you to use their service one time and then driver buyers off their site to our personal sites. You typically can't message people with email addresses or phone numbers or include them but when I ship items to my customers I can include business cards, couposn, etc and encourage them through stuff in my packaging to leave amazon and come to my site.

Old 12-03-2014, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
There are ways around it. Not to difficult if the seller and/or shopper is savvy.

Old 12-03-2014, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix C View Post
There are ways around it. Not to difficult if the seller and/or shopper is savvy.
Its not difficult neither amazon or ebay has filters that block email address formats like fiverr and some other sites do so sure its easy but is it worth risking getting your account shutdown to drive one sale to your site, probably not if you value you account at all. That said I purposely name my seller accounts the same name as my websites so people can easily find me without having to ask and me possibly getting booted from ebay or amazon

Old 12-03-2014, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doodlemagic View Post
Its not difficult neither amazon or ebay has filters that block email address formats like fiverr and some other sites do so sure its easy but is it worth risking getting your account shutdown to drive one sale to your site, probably not if you value you account at all. That said I purposely name my seller accounts the same name as my websites so people can easily find me without having to ask and me possibly getting booted from ebay or amazon
Exactly and another trick or two as well.

Old 12-03-2014, 06:36 PM

2,914 posts, read 2,687,497 times
Amazon takes 55% of CD list price AND often winds up taking even MORE because they can raise their sale price (small print term). Sometimes they pocket like 63%. But really it's the consumer's fault. I sell the same CD's for $5 less. I sell only 1 CD via my website for every 2 that Amazon sells. Amazon is apparently still not a profitable company so I guess I have no reason to complain.

The thing I hate about Ebay is they make it really DIFFICULT to view you monthly bill. You have to log in and click through many clicks. But ebay is THE go-to place where people look. Ebay is definitely a seller's market. You will get top dollar for whatever you are selling. I used to HATE the days of selling stuff out of the Recycler then having people come to my place (or go to their place) and then haggling. So overall I am happy as a seller. Not so much as a buyer. People seem to over pay for stuff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business