Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-22-2014, 07:25 AM

194 posts, read 148,796 times

Advertisements

Is there any money in E-Books, and how are they usually marketed? Also too, if you were writing about one of the more polarizing topics in America and wanted to write your book anonymously (as to avoid death threats), could that possibly adversely affect sales? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2014, 08:13 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,570 posts, read 81,167,557 times
I have two friends that have done it. Both used a publisher that does the marketing, without having to pay a percentage, and at $4.99 per sale they make enough for a few extra dinners out and that's about it. Another friend self published a real book, and sold them at $49.95, the sales barely covered the cost.

Old 12-22-2014, 09:59 AM

4,003 posts, read 6,099,271 times
I have published some ebooks. I like ebooks as a money maker better than blogging. AN ebook you write it and its up forever, sure you'll do more sales if you continue to promote it and maybe have a blog in the same niche but really you can leave it up on amazon forever passively making sales.

I don't do a lot of promotion of mine but pretty passively make $100 to $150 a month off my books. The key is really finding a niche which hasn't been exploited. I think people think they will write a book and people will just buy it but it just doesn't work that way. You have to find an underserved niche where maybe there's not a huge audience but anyone who is interested basically only has the option of your book or maybe a handful of others on the topic. You can also run free giveaways of your book on amazon to try to get some downloads and reviews to hopefully spur paid sales, you can blog and promote your book, etc.

As far as pen names yes you can write anonymously and put a fake name as the author, however really if your going to write something I think have the guts to stand behind what you say and your views. Also whether its blogging or writing or youtube vids you'll always do better being a real person and connecting with your readers or viewers as opposed to being some anonymous person.

Honestly I don't think anyone cares to read your political views unless your someone of note. I think the best books are how to or informational books on underserved subjects. Something like how to blog or SEO is too much out there. You'd want something like how to fix a dryer belt on a GE4215 washer. Now that may be too specific but you basically want to find a niche and then dig like 3-5 more layers deep into that niche. For example on a blog dont write about motorcycles, dont write about motorcycle seats, write about motorcycle seats for suzuki motorcycles years 2002-2005.

Old 12-22-2014, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
I have two friends that have done it. Both used a publisher that does the marketing, without having to pay a percentage, and at $4.99 per sale they make enough for a few extra dinners out and that's about it. Another friend self published a real book, and sold them at $49.95, the sales barely covered the cost.
I think even for big authors and publishers the physical book industry is dying if it isn't already dead. Ebook publishing is kinda awesome you dont have to pay hundreds of dollars for an ISBN number, dont need to layout money to get books printed, plus most people are reading on kindles and tablets anyway these days.

I think the only way anyone is going to make big money is if your book gets picked up by like oprah or some top known blogger starts pushing your book. Unless your a master internet marketer expect to be lucky to make a few hundred a month.

Old 12-22-2014, 07:50 PM

820 posts, read 1,209,220 times
If people value what you have to say or write about then yes.

Old 12-22-2014, 09:41 PM

748 posts, read 820,343 times
Writing / publishing non fiction informational products has always been a lucrative industry. Just look at the magazine industry, newspaper industry, periodicals, etc throughout history.

The internet didn't change that; you just need to find a niche as others mentioned.

Old 12-22-2014, 11:29 PM

2,914 posts, read 2,688,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AGoodWayOfDoingThat View Post
Is there any money in E-Books, and how are they usually marketed? Also too, if you were writing about one of the more polarizing topics in America and wanted to write your book anonymously (as to avoid death threats), could that possibly adversely affect sales? Thanks!
Seems like a case of over supply and only so much demand. I know someone who has released several ebooks but doesn't seem to be making much.

Old 12-23-2014, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big-Bucks View Post
Seems like a case of over supply and only so much demand. I know someone who has released several ebooks but doesn't seem to be making much.
Then they are writing onthewrong topics that people aren't interested in or they are writing in niches that are oversaturated. You cant just decide I'm going to write a book about how to hit a baseball nobody cares nor doesanyone want to learn that from a book.

You have to actually do keyword research and find what people are searching for and also find nichesthat dont have a lot of info out there about them either.

If you try to write an ebook about SEO your going to get lost in the mix there's too much.

Oddly enough erotica is one of hte hottest selling niches on amazon as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business