Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2014, 03:37 PM

3,452 posts, read 4,617,882 times

Advertisements

Just finished a five year stint in New York. Was introduced to jazz by a friend and absolutely fell in love with the music and the jazz clubs in NYC.

I want to begin the process of planning to open my own in the next 5 years. Does anyone have any idea on where I can start.

I envision a nice hole in the wall, comfy, super relaxed spot where people can come..have a drink....and enjoy some good music.

Don't really expect to get rich from this. Would be very happy to pay myself $50 or $60k a year.
I think a jazz spot is the only job that I could legitimately go to and not feel like I am working.

Any advice/insight would be extremely helpful.

Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2014, 03:57 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,953,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usamathman View Post
I want to open a jazz/blues club...
Where do I start??
Start with a job bartending ...then managing ...then booking acts.
After you've proven you can actually succeed... see if you still want to do it.

Old 12-31-2014, 04:49 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,257,754 times
Its a tough racket, get a job in an existing joint and see all what there is to it.

Jazz is a particular hard choice, it appeals to an older crowd which doesn't like to go out to bars that often. Getting enough of them to come out to make it profitable is one thing in New York with 15 million people, in a smaller city, its a lot harder.

I think you'd do better to open a punk rock club or a strip joint. Dames taking their clothes off is always popular.

Old 12-31-2014, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Start with a job bartending ...then managing ...then booking acts.
After you've proven you can actually succeed... see if you still want to do it.
Thanks for commenting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Spam View Post
Its a tough racket, get a job in an existing joint and see all what there is to it.

Jazz is a particular hard choice, it appeals to an older crowd which doesn't like to go out to bars that often. Getting enough of them to come out to make it profitable is one thing in New York with 15 million people, in a smaller city, its a lot harder.

I think you'd do better to open a punk rock club or a strip joint. Dames taking their clothes off is always popular.
Strip joint.... hahahaha. Thanks for suggestion.

Totally agree with comment about location. Still not sure where I would like to open the club.
Funny that you mention the age gap.

I wonder what would happen if I actually dude a jazz/rock fusion type of setup. Maybe do jazz during the week and open up to other types of music on weekends??

Old 01-02-2015, 09:48 PM

4,120 posts, read 6,607,512 times
Partner with a upscale bistro restaurant where jazz is played at a low key during dinner but around 9:30 it switches over to bar/club full time. This way you can maximize building costs. The ambiance of the live music adds to the prestige of the place.

The biggest thing is to learn the bar business inside and out. Manage a few bars before you open your own so you can fail on someone else's dime, also spend some time working at both a small bar and then huge club. This way you learn the business, running a small neighbor bar will teach you some things, but you need to learn the whole business.

Old 01-02-2015, 10:50 PM

2,914 posts, read 2,687,743 times
Watch the TV show Bar Rescue for ideas on how to fix up a bar that attracts customers. Just a thought.

Old 01-03-2015, 01:15 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,147,443 times
A liquor license.

Old 01-03-2015, 09:35 PM

Thanks all for the comments. Very helpful.

I think I am going to go ahead and look into getting my bartenders certification.

Will possibly open the door for me to obtain a gig at an already established club.

As you all said earlier...would be awesome to have the opportunity to practice at another establishment before

I open my own.

Old 01-04-2015, 02:48 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,953,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usamathman View Post
I think I am going to go ahead and look into getting my bartenders certification.
Will possibly open the door for me to obtain a gig at an already established club.
Save your money.

Get an actual JOB in a busy place.
Barback is the usual first step

Old 01-04-2015, 03:07 PM

4,003 posts, read 6,098,331 times
I think too often people want to turn their hobbies into a business. I get the whole argment about do something your passionat about however running a jazzz club is not sitting around listening to jazz music, its running a hospitality business. Are you passionate about managing food service employees, running a payroll, keeping an eye on your cash business to make sure people aren't stealing. The business has very little to do with jazz and very much to do with managing a restaurant/bar. If you don't have a background in the industry chance are very high you will fail. LIke other posters have suggested go work in a bar for a year before even attempting to do this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business