Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-12-2015, 12:31 PM

8,087 posts, read 9,841,048 times

Advertisements

junk, I mean vintage, items on Ebay.

Seriously, sales have really climbed lately. Amazon as well.

You folks see the same?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2015, 01:11 PM

2,282 posts, read 3,079,872 times
My wife has two Etsy shops and her sales definitely picked up in the past year over years previous. That's even with her devoting less time to marketing her shops since we had a baby and moved out of state last year. So yeah, it does seem like there's been an uptick.

Old 02-13-2015, 10:49 AM

4,003 posts, read 6,101,240 times
For ebay stuff I don't know that buying used is a sign of a better economy so much as people shopping for discounts, I guess it depends on the item though, some items second hand are discounted while others if marketed as "vintage" actually sell for a premium price.

Old 02-17-2015, 01:00 AM

4,582 posts, read 3,409,523 times
I've been able to stop selling in ebay because potential buyers from there are reaching out directly before I can even list the stuff.

I am armourereric there as well, I make all my own stuff.

Old 02-18-2015, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by armourereric View Post
I've been able to stop selling in ebay because potential buyers from there are reaching out directly before I can even list the stuff.

I am armourereric there as well, I make all my own stuff.
This is what you want to do, why give ebay and paypal something like 10% - 13% if you can get buyers off ebay. That said you must have unique items and people are seeking stuff out, if you have run of the mill stuff most ebayers prefer to stay on ebay and most of my site buyers prefer to by off the site. I do get some crossover but its tough to get people off ebay even if you still accept paypal as a payment method

Old 02-19-2015, 02:14 AM

I have been making hand made medieval armour for actual combat use for 31 years. Was the first in my "industry" to be an organized seller on ebay back in 1999. I have just started using my account to sell the product of my new business, the one I will gradually retire into, duck eggs.

If you ever saw the SCI-FI channel production of Tin-Man, I made all the armour for the Longcoats (bad guys) and those big bras shoulders that Kathleen Robertson wore. And then came the recession.........

Old 02-19-2015, 08:45 AM

Quote:
I have been making hand made medieval armour for actual combat use for 31 years. Was the first in my "industry" to be an organized seller on ebay back in 1999. I have just started using my account to sell the product of my new business, the one I will gradually retire into, duck eggs.

If you ever saw the SCI-FI channel production of Tin-Man, I made all the armour for the Longcoats (bad guys) and those big bras shoulders that Kathleen Robertson wore. And then came the recession.........
You may want to check out etsy as well, people have an apreciation of handmade craftsmanship over cheap chinese bought stuff which I imagine is majority of who your competing against on ebay even though you have a superior product probably hard to compete pricewise.

Old 02-19-2015, 12:12 PM

Went to Etsy about 15 months ago, pleased with the results. Recently had ebay CS call me up to discuss my diminished activity there, they outright stated that visits to the category are down 15% due to my absence. They suggested I cut all my prices in half as if that would solve everything, I explained to them that my biggest selling item, only managed 30 page views and 1 sale for $100 on ebay, yet the same item had 375 page views and 5 sales for $150 at Etsy during the same period. The CS did not have a script option for that one. As long as the Bain cabal run ebay they are dead in the water, thank god nobody from that click ever tried to run for public office touting their business acumen, oh wait.............

Old 02-19-2015, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Went to Etsy about 15 months ago, pleased with the results. Recently had ebay CS call me up to discuss my diminished activity there, they outright stated that visits to the category are down 15% due to my absence. They suggested I cut all my prices in half as if that would solve everything, I explained to them that my biggest selling item, only managed 30 page views and 1 sale for $100 on ebay, yet the same item had 375 page views and 5 sales for $150 at Etsy during the same period. The CS did not have a script option for that one. As long as the Bain cabal run ebay they are dead in the water, thank god nobody from that click ever tried to run for public office touting their business acumen, oh wait.............
I'm surprised how on top of that stuff ebay is. I actually had ebay contact me recently as well saying a particular category had done over a million in a week and I should start listing my stuff again.

Do you use Terapeak at all? I love the data you can pull there can figure out better keywrods, what days and times auctions are best to start and end at, what competitiors are doing. They have a tab for amazon but it sucks doesn't really give data like terapeak for ebay does. I think there's some similar services for etsy you may want to checkout where you can pull analytics data on categories and other sellers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business