U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-14-2008, 11:57 AM

4,739 posts, read 7,752,875 times

Advertisements

On top of our retail store and online store this year we have added about 400 auctions a week on ebay, one auction that was put up somehow had an email address added as a Paypal pay to that has not been used in about 4 years, don't ask me how because it was to an email account that doesn't even exist anymore. When the auction ended the winning bidder payed immediatly and although I knew I wasn't going to be able to claim the funds I sent an email and shipped the item out because they had paid and it sure wasn't their fault.
This person now has the item they won and they cancelled their payment to me at that address so they have their money back also. I figured that was that but when I check Paypal not only has this person paid me at the right email address they added more to include some extra postage which was above what I had asked for in the auction.
I can't even begin to explain how refreshing it is to deal with someone that is beyond honest. You meet some very nice people on the net!

I love being wrong sometimes, i'm sending them a gift because good people should be rewarded I think.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2008, 01:04 PM

17,835 posts, read 30,692,044 times
wow rcm
see people do surprising things everyday

How nice of you to send them a gift I bet they "pay the kindness forward"

p.s. what kind of stuffs do you sell

dm me if you think they won't let you tell me here

Old 01-14-2008, 01:38 PM

1,969 posts, read 5,521,830 times
Wow....that is really refreshing to hear!

Old 01-15-2008, 01:34 AM

15,599 posts, read 36,242,461 times
Sounds like model T parts! So many of the model T guys that shop on EBAY do things like that. Most are older folks that are dismayed at the dishonesty across America anymore. And they go out of their way to promote old values and treating fellow man with dignity and respect. Congrats!

Old 01-15-2008, 04:06 AM

2,178 posts, read 8,417,185 times
I bought an item off ebay from a guy in New Orleans just before Katrina hit. I sent the money (money order) and he didn't get it because the mail delivery was all screwed up from the hurricane. I didn't get the item because he didn't know if I had sent the payment and he couldn't ship it anyway. His house was one that had to be evacuated and I found out later the house was lost. Later on he contacted me and told me about his situation. I told him I had sent a money order and he believed me and sent the item. About a week after I got the item, I got the original money order back as not able to deliver. By then I had a new address for him in another town. I sent the same money order to him and he got it. I haven't forgot that he trusted me enough to send an item he hadn't yet received the money for. There is still some honesty in this world on both sides of the deal. Kind of gives ya faith again in people.

Old 01-15-2008, 07:39 AM

2,952 posts, read 12,488,962 times
It is so refreshing to read these posts. I tend to really get "down" about lack of payment issues in business, etc. and this gives one hope.

Old 01-15-2008, 09:41 AM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,293 posts, read 15,154,403 times
Those are nice stories Rcm and Robhu.

I do wish all the sellers and buyers were like this.

About a year ago I bought a men's Nautica watch on e-bay. It was supposed to be the two-tone, rolex looking one with the old bezel. It took the guy forever to send me the watch and then it was not two-tone and it came in a dingy nautica box. I wrote to him and said he did not send what he advertised and that I was returning it and wanted my $$ back in my account. I did not hear from him until a week later that I wrote again and threatened to take him through the e-bay appeals process (I forget if that is the right term). I also told him I wanted my shipping costs back too! I was pissed.
He did then refund right away.

My son and I buy and sell stuff on e-bay all the time (my son does A LOT) and he loves his positive feedback and 100% rating. I am leary of anything much less.

Old 01-16-2008, 04:56 PM

16,248 posts, read 22,240,232 times
I had a similar experience with Ebay. I bought a CD on it (among many other things) and after I did not get it for 3 weeks, I sent an email to the seller who refunded my account with no questions asked. Well one day later the CD showed up! It had been addressed to me right but the seller had left the word "Drive" off the end of my street which means it went to "Street" instead of "Drive" (in Atlanta it is common for 4 or more streets to have the same name only differentiated by Dr, Ln, St, Pkwy and NE, SW, NW and SE). I emailed him and resent the money- not because I had to but because it was right.

Old 01-17-2008, 09:28 AM

8,321 posts, read 13,960,713 times
Something similiar happened to me back in December.

I bought an item, but the e-mail for paypal they had was incorrect. So I sent this person an e-mail - and they gave me the right e-mail address and made an invoice. But because they had made a mistake, they gave me shipping for free.

It was soo nice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business