Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2015, 07:46 PM

1,168 posts, read 2,397,968 times

Advertisements

Moderator cut: personal - off topic

It is foolish in any way to chance alienating a good part of your potential customer base, unless you have so much money already that you can allow political or religious views to trump making a profit.

Last edited by Marka; 04-07-2015 at 03:34 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2015, 07:46 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,340,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimdc58 View Post
It's pretty obvious that those posting to this thread don't run their own businesses, or else they are really poor businessmen/women.

It is foolish in any way to chance alienating a good part of your potential customer base, unless you have so much money already that you can allow political or religious views to trump making a profit.
I in fact DO run my own business.

Old 04-04-2015, 08:30 AM

23,862 posts, read 24,108,334 times
Quote:
Why would you want to do something that you know could lose you customers?
If the news channel that's put on to keep you from being bored while waiting (you're welcome, by the way) actually makes you want to go somewhere else, DON'T LET THE DOOR HIT YOU ON THE WAY OUT.

Not every sale or customer is worth the effort, and if someone's so tightly wound that the choice of cable news shown in the office could make them chose another business, well, there's an extremely high chance that they're one of the customers I wouldn't want to have anyway. And yes, I have actually told people that I wouldn't do business with them anymore, and yes, my business is still thriving.

Your rants really only demonstrate one thing - that you would actually base your decision to use a business on what channel is on their TV. That's about the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard when talking about the pros and cons of how someone does business. I guess the quality of their work, their pricing, customer service, efficiency and all the other aspects of how well they do their job are only considered after you find out what channel their TV is on...

I'll bet you're a one issue voter, too.

Old 04-04-2015, 08:32 AM

10,420 posts, read 10,827,692 times
Quote:
I have to wonder, from a business point of view, why any business (coffee shop, pizza parlor, auto repair center) would choose to turn Fox News on the televisions in their waiting rooms/dining areas. Alienating a percentage of your potential customer base seems like a foolish move for a business. Regardless of your views, wouldn't it make far more sense to put on ESPN or the Weather Channel? Even CNN, which is middle-of-the-road, would make more sense.

I would say the same for anyone who displayed MSNBC.....but I have never seen anyone do that.
Because they are fair and balanced.

Old 04-04-2015, 11:43 AM

1,899 posts, read 3,958,042 times
I ate dinner at a restaurant yesterday, and they had a soap opera on a 60" TV in the dining area. It made no sense whatsoever.

I would welcome Fox News on a TV while I'm at a business because at least it would be informative on current events and change the subject occasionally. I love that Liberals are outraged at Fox News and like to pretend that it isn't real news, but as a Conservative, I can often pick up on Liberal themes and agendas on MSNBC and other stations. The only difference is, I'm not looking for ways to be outraged. If I don't like what they're saying, I turn it off at my house or ignore it in public places.

Old 04-04-2015, 03:53 PM

1,168 posts, read 2,397,968 times
Unbelievable. So many of you guys are so blinded by your love of Fox News, that you can't see the big picture. I wouldn't put MSNBC on a TV in a waiting room either. Why would I want to alienate the conservatives who come in and might be prospective customers? It's just DUMB business.

Politics and religion don't belong in the workplace. Period.

But thanks guys.....I guess I got an answer to my original question. Why do some businesses do it? They aren't very smart business-wise, and don't realize that they are losing customers.....or are just to stubborn to care.

Old 04-04-2015, 04:52 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,342,958 times
I guess I don't even get the question. I don't see why it is such a big deal as to what is on the TV. I just want the best deal and find a place that gives me the best value for my money. If that place has Fox news or CNN on I don't care. I don't go to a business to watch TV, I go there to get something accomplished.

The question of what to put on the TV has not been answered by anyone. If someone is going toward the "you will offend someone" then no TV is better. If you are afraid of offending someone then maybe you should not be in business. It is not my job to keep 100% of the people happy. That will never happen. It is my job to keep my customer base happy. I have never heard of anyone say, "this guy is the best at what he does in town, but you may not want to use him because he has Fox News on."

Coke, Pepsi, Doctor Pepper are all in business selling sugar water and they seem to all be making a profit at it. Plenty of people to keep them in business. They don't have to sell to everyone. They just need to capture a percentage of the market.

Ford, GM, Toyota, and many other brands do the same thing. They will never capture the entire market. They will capture some of the market.

Your local business owner will do the same thing.

Old 04-05-2015, 01:22 AM

3,244 posts, read 6,299,863 times
Quote:
I wouldn't put MSNBC on a TV in a waiting room either. Why would I want to alienate the conservatives who come in and might be prospective customers?
Who cares about what is on the tv? Why would a conservative be alienated by MSNBC? I am a conservative and I watch Chris Hayes and Rachel Maddow sometimes to find out what the bad guys are up to. The only thing that would bother me in a waiting room is the obnoxious Maury Povich show and I wouldn't hold that against the business.

Using your weird theory any business could not have a tv in their waiting room. Fox upsets whiny liberals. MSNBC and CNN upset conservatives. CNBC might upset the occupy Wall Street crowd. Any sports channel upsets women who are sick of their husbands watching too much sports. Weekday soap operas are probably objectional to some people. The weather channel upsets midwestern customers in winter when they see 70 degrees in LA in January. Of course not having any tv will upset people who will think the business is too cheap to get a tv in their waiting room.

You Can't Please Everyone

Old 04-05-2015, 01:29 AM

30,897 posts, read 36,954,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
I guess in a fast food place, the idea is that Fox News won't offend anybody except those who are too intelligent to eat in a fast food restaurant in the first place.
Oh, that's right, only people who watch Fox News eat in fast food places. And they say conservatives are prejudiced.

Old 04-05-2015, 01:20 PM

3,702 posts, read 4,850,376 times
I can't believe this actually bothers someone. It's a news station for cryin out loud! And for those who feel everything has to be a political divide as in right (FOX) and left (CNN) perhaps the majority of the country doesn't care. And for the liberal who feel that the entire US leans the same way as them, perhaps they would be surprised that a a very large percentage doesn't.

I guess the OP and others like him would not like where I am. I watch it at the gym and that gym can be right full at times. Practically every bar and bar/restaurant has it on at least one of it's screens. FOX is on in the local hospital waiting rooms. The local regional airport as well has FOX on. Come to think of it, in the area I live practically every establishment that has a multitude of TV's have at least one set to FOX news and the rest to assorted sports channels.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business