Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2015, 02:40 AM

32,497 posts, read 47,458,225 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icemodeled View Post
...... Costs maybe minimal, except utilities.........
Utilities are going to be high; water, sewer, lots of electricity to run the machery and the lights. Rent is going to be high because it takes a fairly large lot in a high visibility location that has to be 100% paved. There will be a high mortgage for the custom build-out. That's a specialty building that you are unlikely to find one already done and ready to take over.

Employee theft will very likely be an issue. My father had coin laundries and the hired help stole an unbelievable amount of stuff: toilet paper, paper towels, laundry soap, hand soap, cleaning supplies..... Plus, they discovered that no one was checking to see that they actually cleaned three times a day, so they cut back on the times they cleaned.

Not to mention, you will have to be there every day to empty the coin boxes and service the dollar bill changer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2015, 10:07 AM

4,003 posts, read 6,057,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeSpell View Post
The water bill must be killer.
I think htey use the same water over and over for much of the processes so its probably more electic bill from the pumps and machinery

Old 04-26-2015, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icemodeled View Post
self storage units would be better I think. We have car washes around here go out of business. I'm not sure profit wise how great it is, but not something I would choose. I'm sure you will need an employee or two to keep it maintained unless you can yourself. Costs maybe minimal, except utilities. I think finding the right location will be tough to. Here in my town of 27k pop we have 5 or 6 car washes. One of them is always busy, it's right in town, busy street. They off self serve and non self serve and it seems that non self serve is busier. I think more people rather pay the extra and not get out of the car. My husband and I always use self serve. If you locate an area with a need for it.. It might do good.
Self Storage is actually a pretty expensive business to get into. Public storage and the large companies have gobbled up most of the smaller independent places and if they havn't that is who you are competing with to purchase a self storage place.

Old 10-07-2017, 11:01 AM

4,190 posts, read 4,693,436 times
I'm no investor but immediate thought RE: self storage units = what are the insurance costs?

You have to have all that stuff covered in the event people's belongings get damaged, correct (i.e. natural disaster)?

Old 10-07-2017, 12:05 PM

26,121 posts, read 48,732,001 times
When I used a storage locker recently (Uncle Bob's) it was required that I pay for insurance on my goods....
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 10-09-2017, 05:16 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,227,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southkakkatlantan View Post
I'm no investor but immediate thought RE: self storage units = what are the insurance costs?

You have to have all that stuff covered in the event people's belongings get damaged, correct (i.e. natural disaster)?
Nope. No different than a rental. You're simply renting them space. While there are reasonable theft prevention like locks and gates there us no guarantees. When I had my best in storage they had no insurance if it was stolen or broken into. The lease specifically stated they are not liable for any theft or damage

Old 10-10-2017, 02:23 PM

I don't think it's as easy or as profitable as you think. Even the self service wash by me typically has a worker there most days I go either repairing stuff, refilling the vending machines, etc. As far as buying an established one because it's a cash business people probably pocket a lot of money so it's hard to get an idea of the true revenue, I would imagine higher than what you are shown on paper though. Also while it is less work than other businesses your gonna have someone run into your washing arm and need to get it repaired, back into a garage door, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business