U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2015, 06:50 PM

8,226 posts, read 9,949,938 times

Advertisements

Let me know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2015, 04:51 AM

1,850 posts, read 2,579,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Bricks View Post
Let me know.
When you say business mentor, what are you specifically trying to accomplish?

Old 05-03-2015, 12:12 PM

24,753 posts, read 32,481,403 times
Generally, you don't find a mentor, they find you.

You could pay somebody but in lot of that type of deal you won't get what you've paid for.

Old 05-03-2015, 12:39 PM

Okay, after reading the post above, I have to say something....I've met my business mentors by way of happenstance. I never looked for one nor did they "find me".

It was a matter of mutual interests. I have a very successful mentor that I've known for years by way of reading his blog. We initially met by way of me emailing him and making comments about his insightful writing about a specific business topic.

Long story short after a few years of talking to each other, he's officially taken me under his wing so I can accomplish a similar level of success as he has.

He did not find me nor did I look for him. It was happenstance. I happen to stumble upon his blog. Mentoring was not the intended purpose of any prior interaction with him.

That's generally how it works.

Let serendipity work for you. It will.

I've had the fortune of having many mentors over the years. Not one did I seek out and not one "found me".

As it relates to paying someone, I've done that also.....I've had various business ventures that I've been involved in that I hired someone as a consultant. After the client/consultant relationship was complete.....the person "stayed around" an acted as a mentor( non-paid adviser of sorts).

Old 05-04-2015, 09:04 AM

8,226 posts, read 9,949,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocco Barbosa View Post
When you say business mentor, what are you specifically trying to accomplish?
Just somebody I can talk to and get advice and pick their brain. One in Real Estate Development and one in Publishing.

Old 05-04-2015, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Bricks View Post
Just somebody I can talk to and get advice and pick their brain. One in Real Estate Development and one in Publishing.
I would change the way you look at this person. Please, please stay away from using the term--"pick your brain". I know what you mean, but PLEASE stay away from those words.

Successful people don't want their brains picked. It comes across as if you're "using" them. All of which you're not and I understand what you're saying, be trust me, do not use those words.

Having said that, seek people out on LinkedIn and in your case, someone that will not see you as future competition. 100% of my mentors are out of state. DO NOT become a groupie. Successful people get approached all of the time. You have to come up with a way that says--"I'm different from the rest of the ass kissing groupies you generally meet".

Contact your local SCORE office. Most of the folks are retired business owners executives and are willing to help you. They volunteer as a way to pay it forward.

Remember, people have worked hard to get to where they are. Place high value of their time. Do not waste it nor become a pest.

Old 05-04-2015, 09:08 PM

In addition, when someone does something for you or helps you.....say "thank you". ;0)

Old 05-06-2015, 08:13 AM

For anyone needing direction for finding a mentor. Here is a decent article that was posted yesterday on Fiverr.com

How to Find a Mentor

Old 05-08-2015, 10:01 AM

4,639 posts, read 5,188,137 times
See is there is a SCORE chapter near you. Service Corp of Retired Executives.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business