Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-19-2015, 08:57 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,443,353 times

Advertisements

I was in a bank recently taking care of something and I asked a business broker about SBA loans. He mentioned that SBA would likely require 50% down . He used the example of a subway franchise. 50% down seems pretty insane ..especially for something like a franchise business.

I am considering purchasing an existing business.

Has anyone here gotten an SBA loan before? What kind of down payment did you put down and what did the SBA look for? Did you have an existing business? Where you starting a new business or did you purchase an existing one?

What was the process like?

If SBA often requires 50% down then it's probably better just to try and get owner financing from the seller I would think.

Is it better to try and get a business loan from a non nationwide type bank?

I know that for real estate loans many investors recommend going with smaller banks rather than the big ones like Chase, Wells Fargo, Bank of America ,etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2015, 05:38 PM

29,797 posts, read 24,880,628 times
Seems generous, considering the commonly cited failure rates of new franchises.

Old 05-25-2015, 10:39 PM

5,667 posts, read 6,590,852 times
I can't add much, except I did look into getting a loan for commercial property (not a business) 3 years ago. Best deal I found from a bank was 50% down and 6.5% interest. This was when home loans were ~3%, and the bank was *paying* ~0%. The economy wasn't that bad here either, and the price was about 75% of it's assessed value. I definitely had a WTF moment.

It's interesting to hear that it is still so hard to get loans. I'd look into other options.

Old 05-26-2015, 05:08 AM

4,639 posts, read 6,376,202 times
There is no set standard for the amount of "down payment" for an SBA 7(a) loan. 10% is the minimum, but it will depend entirely on your business plan, current revenues and earnings (if an existing business, etc.). The bank makes the loan, the SBA provides a loan guarantee to the bank. I'd say you need to talk to another banker, preferably one who is very active with making SBA loans.

Old 05-27-2015, 06:49 AM

4,103 posts, read 5,422,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
Seems generous, considering the commonly cited failure rates of new franchises.
Exactly, youre covering for the losses of all the failed businesses in the banks portfolio...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business