Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2015, 10:52 AM

394 posts, read 435,178 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiredatwork View Post
Let's say that the initial capital investment is $100k for the store
Net income from the store is $40k a year
Opportunity cost for not investing the $100k in the stock market is $10k a year
Opportunity cost for leaving the current job to work at the store is $15k a year

With those assumption, the owner will break even after the 7th year of operating the store (instead of investing the 100k in the stock market and keeping his current job)
yea this is true,

The opportunity cost with the time it takes

But the one big win he will have is the store as his "asset", although we don't exactly know the EXACT details of the condition of the store
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2015, 12:25 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,730,963 times
imho it sounds like you're "buying a low paying job" with a lot of headaches. I saying low paying especially with all the extra responsibilities you'll have that the clock punchers won't. They'll get to clock out, you'll be working by the midnight oil.

Again, imho, keep thinking. Good luck

Old 08-02-2015, 12:58 PM

More thoughts,

You have something he wants, he has something you may want. Try to figure out why he wants to sell, not his version but the real reason. See if he wants what you have more than the other way around, there are many businesses you could start, it's not the end of the world if you walk, negotiate much harder.

You should be paid better.

Old 08-02-2015, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
More thoughts,

You have something he wants, he has something you may want. Try to figure out why he wants to sell, not his version but the real reason. See if he wants what you have more than the other way around, there are many businesses you could start, it's not the end of the world if you walk, negotiate much harder.

You should be paid better.
yea you bring up good points

I think the OP sees this as low risk, high reward

BUT... it could be high risk if it takes him 5-10 years to hit a break even point because there are other things he could do with that money

But at the end of the day, since it become his business/property/title/etc... it could be levied as an asset for himself as well

I personally wouldn't do it though lol

Old 08-02-2015, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Man74 View Post
yea you bring up good points

I think the OP sees this as low risk, high reward

BUT... it could be high risk if it takes him 5-10 years to hit a break even point because there are other things he could do with that money

But at the end of the day, since it become his business/property/title/etc... it could be levied as an asset for himself as well

I personally wouldn't do it though lol
Neither would I but at least he is thinking.

Another thought, what hourly wage are the employee's being paid? If minimum wage increases will he make enough to compensate for that increase? His numbers say no.

A lot of people make the mistake of buying a job rather than a business that yes, may start off as a job but can be built into a business. In other words, if the business can continue running without the owner being there for a long period of time and competent employees run it then you got a business. I know he said that the owner isn't around but he is selling for some reason, maybe because he should be but doesn't want to be around.

Old 08-02-2015, 02:46 PM

93 posts, read 154,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Man74 View Post
yea this is true,

The opportunity cost with the time it takes

But the one big win he will have is the store as his "asset", although we don't exactly know the EXACT details of the condition of the store
The tricky thing is the resale value of his asset ie the store that he's thinking about buying. If his store retains the resale value of $100k exactly the same amount that he's paying for it; then he's better off buying the store. His opportunity cost for lost wage and stock investment is 25k/year while his store profit is 40k/year. He will make an extra 15k/year right off the bat with the store PLUS the resale value of his store for $100k.

I also want to buy a Subway franchise but when I take into my initial investment, store's resale value at the 20th year (which is zero btw since the license runs out), store's profit, opportunity cost; I will break even by purchasing the franchise instead of keeping my job and investing in stocks

Old 08-02-2015, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiredatwork View Post
The tricky thing is the resale value of his asset ie the store that he's thinking about buying. If his store retains the resale value of $100k exactly the same amount that he's paying for it; then he's better off buying the store. His opportunity cost for lost wage and stock investment is 25k/year while his store profit is 40k/year. He will make an extra 15k/year right off the bat with the store PLUS the resale value of his store for $100k.

I also want to buy a Subway franchise but when I take into my initial investment, store's resale value at the 20th year (which is zero btw since the license runs out), store's profit, opportunity cost; I will break even by purchasing the franchise instead of keeping my job and investing in stocks
that's true but I doubt it retains that much value

Also, I don't know how upkeep goes for convenience stores.

If he PUTS in 75k like he claims and his yearly Net Income is 15k... and let's just assume it stay "steady"

So that's 75k/15k, which is 5 years to pay off. I don't agree with that ROI honestly

He can save in Wage expenses by having his wife work there but that's also opportunity cost lost on his wife lol so..

Old 08-02-2015, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
Neither would I but at least he is thinking.

Another thought, what hourly wage are the employee's being paid? If minimum wage increases will he make enough to compensate for that increase? His numbers say no.

A lot of people make the mistake of buying a job rather than a business that yes, may start off as a job but can be built into a business. In other words, if the business can continue running without the owner being there for a long period of time and competent employees run it then you got a business. I know he said that the owner isn't around but he is selling for some reason, maybe because he should be but doesn't want to be around.
I think he said he would have his wife work there part time so that would take away some Wages Exp but that's also opportunity cost lost for his wife.

Also, there WILL LIKELY be opportunity cost lost if he has to do maintenance (which he most likely will) and most stores/buildings go through some Depreciation anyway

Old 08-02-2015, 03:29 PM

14,249 posts, read 14,737,232 times
Typically such a store will have to be open 24/7 or at least 18/6. At 18/6 that is 108 hours a week. If making $40K a year, that will be about $7.00 per hour. Even if only open 80 hours per week that will be $9.61 per hour. Take some time off and you will have to pay someone to work the store thus the numbers only get worse. Also forget about benefits, retirement savings, etc.

I suggest they invest the $100K and take a job paying at least $10.00 per hour for 40 hours per week. They will be much further ahead.

Old 08-02-2015, 10:26 PM

4,668 posts, read 3,898,896 times
I didnt end up buying the store, the assets were about 30% of what he said they were.

If I wasn't on my phone I'd go ahead and answer all of the other questions. I'll still answer some just for those curious. It was in a shopping mall, so not 24/7. All employees made less then $8/hour. I was only planning on putting in 15 hours or so a week, the current owner puts in less then that, maybe 5 or so, mostly just ordering and payroll related. I currently own a restaurant that takes the vast majority of my time, and I figured this would be a nice side job to make extra money. My wife and I discussed a lot and we are going to try to expand our restaurant business instead. Maybe add a 2nd location.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business