U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2015, 04:54 PM

397 posts, read 309,020 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by livinfairfax View Post
read the quote that i gave earlier from a managing director.

this never comes in a written package. typically, you see the quality reviews done by professional quality members of your office doubling or tripling the amount of "critical reviews" if the race of the mgr and the upper client management is not aligned.

as of the most recent departure of certain managers, i believe there is 100% alignment now in my office of the engagment mgrs to the majority race of the client's upper management. that should be a fact.
I wanted to add something here for other users that may find this helpful. Once there is a "misalignment" of the audit manager with the race of the client, it triggers a wave of negative review notes from the upper management as well as "quality initiative" folks. (this will vary depending on the firm)

The interns/associates are told by various people that this is a clue to start bad-mouthing the manager. The manager gets it from all sides, from below and above eventually he/she leaves the firm. It's very coordinated but its never in writing. I've seen first-hand when the associates are told to do this.

If the interns/associates refuses to do this, they are deemed "unfit" and "does not like the firm" category. (think some poster mentioned this in a earlier post) There are those that tend to be more than willing and literally asks when they get an opportunity to do this type of behavior. They tend to be hires from southern state colleges with frats and sorority affiliation. (shocker) This is based on my last 3 years.

Again, if this was based on performance or strength of the manager's personality, I'd have no problem with this. But its not, this is mostly based on race, mostly at my firm than other firms I think. One of my client, a controller, told me once that he thought I belonged to another big4 firm. I asked why and he said he just thought so. I totally get it now. The controller wasn't being racist, he in fact adored minorities. (he had a huge minority staffing) I think he was trying to give me a clue.

Last edited by livinfairfax; 07-26-2015 at 05:02 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2015, 06:05 PM

8,119 posts, read 3,535,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livinfairfax View Post
read the quote that i gave earlier from a managing director.
Quote:
Originally Posted by livinfairfax
I've been told by various people that that's why they joined to me in person, yes.

Do you really believe that sentence, as written, makes sense?

Old 07-26-2015, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
[/i]

Do you really believe that sentence, as written, makes sense?
It's grammatically erroneous, yes. I think the message people understand well. They told me in person that they joined my firm because it is more white-focused. I'm typing this as the thoughts come into my head.

Old 07-26-2015, 06:40 PM

482 posts, read 730,197 times
LOL. The sentence was perfectly understandable, and since when is there the expectation that informal posts on this forum be grammatically perfect.

Or perhaps he meant to imply that "certain groups of people" have a poorer command of english than "we" do, which is another justification for their lack of upward mobility.

Old 07-26-2015, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark85 View Post
LOL. The sentence was perfectly understandable, and since when is there the expectation that informal posts on this forum be grammatically perfect.

Or perhaps he meant to imply that "certain groups of people" have a poorer command of english than "we" do, which is another justification for their lack of upward mobility.
That's exactly what I'm thinking. lol

Old 07-26-2015, 06:52 PM

1,577 posts, read 1,665,387 times
Everything is so racially tinged today. Have a problem at work? Racism. Guy cuts you off on the road? Racism. Can't find a girlfriend? Racism.

Man-up. Take some personal responsibility for your problems. No company shuns rainmakers especially accounting firms. If you have a problem at work, do something about it like bill more hours or bring in a new client.....if that doesn't work leave the company.

Old 07-26-2015, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashes1 View Post
Everything is so racially tinged today. Have a problem at work? Racism. Guy cuts you off on the road? Racism. Can't find a girlfriend? Racism.

Man-up. Take some personal responsibility for your problems. No company shuns rainmakers especially accounting firms. If you have a problem at work, do something about it like bill more hours or bring in a new client.....if that doesn't work leave the company.
You are either never been in public accounting or just denying this. Whatever....

Can't find a girlfriend? lol I went on a date 2 years ago through match. I think she was mostly dutch. She was in tax at my firm for 5 years. We talked a LOT about racism that exist in our office in addition to lying to college kids about work/life balance. White people regularly talk about how it exists at my firm. I was crying my eyes out when a client talked about my firm being the most "elitist" in front of the whole team at a happy hour. (she was a minority with background in a different big4)

I had many debates with a good white co-worker of mine at my firm. Here's the problem, its all good and dandy when no one talks about it. He talks about the 50's like it was all good. It was good for SOME people. Others were shut up through legal means. (or lack there of) He hates talking about it but will admit it exists.

Old 07-26-2015, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashes1 View Post

BTW, what rainmakers are you talking about? I would even be fine if minorities were termed because they can't sell. My firm makes it so that the race is the biggest factor. I know because when a manager leaves, the partners ask them to withhold the signature of the offer so they can place them else to sell more business for the firm.

Another funny story at my firm. I was up in Pittsburgh and randomly, this white girl associate yells out all asian girls are ugly. It was pretty quite afterwards, understanbly. Another guy associates (funny enough they live together now and she left the firm) was trying to cover up for her and said all asians are ugly. We were all quite drunk by the way.

Yes....this is just a regular day at the firm. Sometimes these jokes are funny. When I see people get pushed out, its not.

Old 07-26-2015, 07:49 PM

1,392 posts, read 1,911,330 times
Big 4 culture is different in all regions and the cultures can be extremely different. In the West Coast (specifically San Francisco and Los Angeles), it is extremely diverse and from my interactions with Big 4 accountants, I didn't really notice any of these racial issues that the OP is mentioning. Big 4 firms are extremely regional though and they also tend to hire from regional schools (like so called directional schools) which often are not very diverse. Since the OP is located in VA (Yes, I am aware Fairfax is more diverse), I am not too surprised that race is a bigger issue since the East Coast as a whole has very bad racial issues.

Old 07-26-2015, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by X14Freak View Post
Big 4 culture is different in all regions and the cultures can be extremely different. In the West Coast (specifically San Francisco and Los Angeles), it is extremely diverse and from my interactions with Big 4 accountants, I didn't really notice any of these racial issues that the OP is mentioning. Big 4 firms are extremely regional though and they also tend to hire from regional schools (like so called directional schools) which often are not very diverse. Since the OP is located in VA (Yes, I am aware Fairfax is more diverse), I am not too surprised that race is a bigger issue since the East Coast as a whole has very bad racial issues.
I heard from many people LA has a lot of asians in it. That seems intuitive.

See my past posting, my firm recruits heavily from these schools that does not represent the partners' alma mater. Other big4 and regional firms tend to recruit from around here.

Race tension is pretty good in some industries and really bad in some. It also depends on the office. Like I said, asian population in my area is growing by the day. The office when people are actually in it is filled with asians and yet we don't see even 10% of the ratio at the manager and above level.

My old manager admitted this when he went on a secondment in europe couple of years ago. Problem is at the manager level. Personally, I think these new hires from these racist, bigoted schools is a bigger problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or