U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2015, 08:25 PM

397 posts, read 309,059 times

Advertisements

What the hell, I'll add more to the posting. I remember learning about how NFL looks at certain universities for quartersbacks, runnings, and linemen. Universities have their own recruiting ground which they look for certain players. VTech for example, goes to hamptons are lot for football players. There are certain schools in Maryland that colleges go to for football and basket players.

I'm describing this because you have to understand that recruiting for these big4 firms are the same. They need certain minimum level of race instigators to harass the minorities out of the firm. Not everybody has to be this way but its easier for them. They go to these "universities" to grab them especially from frats/soro.

My firm consciously thinks about how many portfolio people they need and then the number minorities to fill the other "holes". They need the frat/sorority trained new hires that will perpetuate this system.

I've never really looked into what frats and sororities and what they do until I ran into so many of them at my firm. I still can't believe they are allowed to exist. Promoting drinking, rape, and racism? This is very blunt yet tolerated because of "tradition". I don't understand how this is possible. I think all of them needs to go including minority frats. They're all about identifying differences and exploiting them.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2015, 12:14 AM

1,392 posts, read 1,911,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livinfairfax View Post
I heard from many people LA has a lot of asians in it. That seems intuitive.

See my past posting, my firm recruits heavily from these schools that does not represent the partners' alma mater. Other big4 and regional firms tend to recruit from around here.

Race tension is pretty good in some industries and really bad in some. It also depends on the office. Like I said, asian population in my area is growing by the day. The office when people are actually in it is filled with asians and yet we don't see even 10% of the ratio at the manager and above level.

My old manager admitted this when he went on a secondment in europe couple of years ago. Problem is at the manager level. Personally, I think these new hires from these racist, bigoted schools is a bigger problem.
What you are describing isn't anything out of the ordinary in any company throughout the entire world. That said, I don't think Big 4 upper management is specifically hiring racist enforcers to keep minorities in line. Most racial issues in the corporate world are far more subtle than that. Like I said, you are in the East Coast (despite what people say, racial issues in both the North and South are bad on the East Coast) which has a history of very bad racial problems especially compared to the West Coast (even Texas is better than the East Coast IMO in regards to racial problems). The Big 4 also operates autonomously in different regions (even down to different offices in the same cities in some cases) so the culture (even pay) varies greatly. I am not dismissing the racism in your office but I am saying that the really bad racial issues that you mention aren't quite as bad throughout all the Big 4.

Old 07-27-2015, 12:56 AM

27 posts, read 28,443 times
Thanks for your passion and trying to do something different, raise the issue that is being kept quite, assuming it is true. I have no personal experience from such firms yet, but as someone whos goal is to be placed in one of the big 4s, and being Asian myself, it was revealing and helpful to some degree, as I really have no idea what it would be like. It would certainly be awesome if you can make a change for people like me follow.

But I've always heard people talk about how stressful it is and how they chew you up and spit you out in a couple of years, and I was under the impression that it was basically the nature of the business over in those firms. I guess it is only much worse for minority males, eh? Not the greatest thing to find out! before I even step a foot in...

About that book you mentioned about writing, I'd buy one if you actually write it. Keep me posted. lol.

Old 07-27-2015, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by X14Freak View Post
What you are describing isn't anything out of the ordinary in any company throughout the entire world. That said, I don't think Big 4 upper management is specifically hiring racist enforcers to keep minorities in line. Most racial issues in the corporate world are far more subtle than that. Like I said, you are in the East Coast (despite what people say, racial issues in both the North and South are bad on the East Coast) which has a history of very bad racial problems especially compared to the West Coast (even Texas is better than the East Coast IMO in regards to racial problems). The Big 4 also operates autonomously in different regions (even down to different offices in the same cities in some cases) so the culture (even pay) varies greatly. I am not dismissing the racism in your office but I am saying that the really bad racial issues that you mention aren't quite as bad throughout all the Big 4.
But look at the schools that we recruit out of. Other big4 and regional firms recruit from VTech, UMD, William and Mary, GMU, Georgetown, AU, and maybe Penn State.

We do some recruiting out of there as well (mostly private) but why do we go to schools like TCU, BYU, Clemson and other schools near Georgia/Missouri/Tennessee? When we interview people from outside of the region, I was told by someone that they assess the "fit" (its a code word) of the firm and determine whether they get placed in large engagements or put on private company services. Basically, white people are assessed and if they have likelihood of being racist, they are placed on public companies while the less racists (or none) are likely to be put on private companies.

Old 07-27-2015, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newyerker View Post
Thanks for your passion and trying to do something different, raise the issue that is being kept quite, assuming it is true. I have no personal experience from such firms yet, but as someone whos goal is to be placed in one of the big 4s, and being Asian myself, it was revealing and helpful to some degree, as I really have no idea what it would be like. It would certainly be awesome if you can make a change for people like me follow.

But I've always heard people talk about how stressful it is and how they chew you up and spit you out in a couple of years, and I was under the impression that it was basically the nature of the business over in those firms. I guess it is only much worse for minority males, eh? Not the greatest thing to find out! before I even step a foot in...

About that book you mentioned about writing, I'd buy one if you actually write it. Keep me posted. lol.
Go with the color blue. The firms that use that color in their logo for some reason tends to be asian-friendly. (I can take a few guesses but don't have time right now)

Old 07-27-2015, 08:55 AM

Another point that I just thought of that I wanted to share with you guys. During my first busy season with the firm (I was hired as a senior), I worked with a senior manager from another industry group due to lack of managers in my industry. We were up in philly when he told me a story in the car (there were 2 of us only and others in a separate car) on the way to the lunch place that even though he was a tenured senior manager with a lot of experience, he still reported to another senior manager who is up and coming who is the "portfolio" guy. This type of advice is given throughout my firm to indicate that the new hires out of colleges are going to be given authority over someone who has many years of experience.

I mention this because 100% of the people that get outpaced within my firm are minorities. I have not seen any exception in the last 3 years. This typically the #1 reason why people leave the firm.

Man, he was a real pain. Marine background, very strict on everything. He loved his former marines though. I remember few marine veterans at my firm and he took care of them very well.

Old 07-27-2015, 09:21 AM

If anyone has any specific questions, feel free to send me a private message. I'll respond here in public.

If you want to share your story through me, feel free to send me a private message as well. I can then re-share in public.

Thanks

Old 07-27-2015, 09:30 AM

2,056 posts, read 2,135,945 times
Largely the reason I removed myself from the profession in the early 2000's.

I worked for one of the big firms in Charlotte, NC. I thought our racial makeup was fair, for what the region is, and specifically for what the industry is. It's just a major that white applicants tend to polarize to, and i don't have an explanation for that, except to say that it's also a very conservative business. i honestly do not know why that relationship exists.

Anyway, I moved away from it though, because it was largely female dominated, and there was an effort, I thought, to minimize males in non-partnership roles. If you are a partner at the big 4 firm level, you are among the highest of the high. Can't be touched. But anything less than that, you have people clawing at your neck. That's where i was.

Left accounting altogether after going to a manufacturing client of the firm, and working for a woman there too. I admit, while I didn't have a negative view of female managers when I graduated from college, 15 years of work experience has given me a negative view of them.

*HUGE EXCEPTION FROM PERSONAL EXPERIENCE-last manager i had was among the worst I'd ever had, and he was male. Terrible office management skills. Very old school, for a guy who was only 40. The current manager I have, a female, is amongst the very best I've ever had.

Old 07-27-2015, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashpelham View Post
Largely the reason I removed myself from the profession in the early 2000's.

I worked for one of the big firms in Charlotte, NC. I thought our racial makeup was fair, for what the region is, and specifically for what the industry is. It's just a major that white applicants tend to polarize to, and i don't have an explanation for that, except to say that it's also a very conservative business. i honestly do not know why that relationship exists.

Anyway, I moved away from it though, because it was largely female dominated, and there was an effort, I thought, to minimize males in non-partnership roles. If you are a partner at the big 4 firm level, you are among the highest of the high. Can't be touched. But anything less than that, you have people clawing at your neck. That's where i was.

Left accounting altogether after going to a manufacturing client of the firm, and working for a woman there too. I admit, while I didn't have a negative view of female managers when I graduated from college, 15 years of work experience has given me a negative view of them.

*HUGE EXCEPTION FROM PERSONAL EXPERIENCE-last manager i had was among the worst I'd ever had, and he was male. Terrible office management skills. Very old school, for a guy who was only 40. The current manager I have, a female, is amongst the very best I've ever had.
I think accounting/banking/law can be described as being dominated by the white people. This is based on observation and few discussions that I've had in the past.

These are very old industries. What I'm describing now is basically what I'm reading when I read the books on the 20th centuries law history. It's an old industry where one race dominated. In accounting, big4 pretty much owns the regulators like PCAOB and the SEC (you can't get in here without big4 experience, few regional firm experience qualify but rare). This is similar to that ABA (american bar association) that restricts the number of minorities. (this minority included females back in the day) One funny story I read was back ABA was still new, they accidentally let few black lawyers join the association because their names sounded white. When it was discovered, they allowed those black lawyers to be left in the association while making a new rule that said people of color can't apply.

Experiences will vary depending on the company you work for. Big4 and especially my firm, you kinda know what to expect. I'm writing this so this isn't something this new like I realized after I came in.

Old 07-27-2015, 11:11 AM

2,072 posts, read 4,558,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
In my academic career, I have had black students that have failed every exam, and as a result failed the class. Then they claim that the reason that they failed was due to me being a racist. Why would they do that? Perhaps playing the race card is easier than admitting to one's own shortcomings.
Lol....Are you saying that in your entire career, black students are the only students that have failed exams and your class? Please clarify, because that's exactly what your statement seems to imply.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or