Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-22-2008, 08:31 PM

42 posts, read 193,487 times

Advertisements

I have an uncle who owns his own international shipping company that can ship anywhere in the world and now I'm thinking of getting into the business. How interested would US citizens be into freight transporation whether it be importing goods or exporting?

Does anyone have any contacts for companies that are in need of these services?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2008, 08:51 PM

5,764 posts, read 11,370,882 times
No contacts, but if you have a successful uncle in the shipping business, my guess he can open far more doors than strangers here on CD land.

It's an interesting business. I like to go by the port of Los Angeles-Long Beach once in a while and look at the almost non-stop flow of containers rolling in from Asia. It's quite awesome, the whole timing of everything. At any time there are usually five or six super size container ships outside the port waiting for their turn to roll in and unload, and several dozen loading or unloading in the port. It's the busiest port on the west coast and I'm guessing it is one of the top 2 busiest ports in the US. I don't see many US companies involved in the big time shipping game around here. The big names in container shipping seem to be China Shipping, Hapag, Mitsui, Hyundai.

Old 01-23-2008, 12:33 PM

42 posts, read 193,487 times
Well he is successful and I am trying to get in on it now. He is here o nvacatio nand mentioned to me it would be good for me to get my foot in the door but I haven`t spoken to hi mseriosuly as yet on what I have to do and where I shoudl look. I t was just at a family dinner that we spoke briefly about it so now I am trying to get more info.
I don`t think they operate out of Maryland which is where I am but I will do soem mroe research and see what happens. I guess I was lookign to see if anyone knew or had any contact for firends or clients tah tship good or import goods internationally.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business