Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-26-2015, 03:46 PM

291 posts, read 397,794 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

A friend has been in the ice business for a number of years. He distributes ice to varies stores within his region. His business does very well and he is quite content with it.

Even though he is content with it, the winter months are extremely slow for him. He has tried multiple things to diversify with ice - snow machines, selling various misc items, etc. But nothing has really caught on.

If anyone happens to be in a seasonal business such as ice, if you wouldn't mind sharing how you diversify for your slow months, it would be much appreciated! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2015, 03:50 PM

45,396 posts, read 60,575,206 times
When you say "ice" do you mean bulk sales like in bags or ice desserts?

Our ice cream shop is only open Friday, Saturday and Sunday during the winter and on days we have an event (Polar Bear Swim on New Year's Day).

I don't know what the guys that have Rita's Italian Ice franchises do.

Old 08-27-2015, 09:04 AM

23,601 posts, read 70,412,676 times
Firewood

Old 08-27-2015, 10:39 AM

291 posts, read 397,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
When you say "ice" do you mean bulk sales like in bags or ice desserts?

Our ice cream shop is only open Friday, Saturday and Sunday during the winter and on days we have an event (Polar Bear Swim on New Year's Day).

I don't know what the guys that have Rita's Italian Ice franchises do.
Bulk sales of ice bags. He has tried ice cream in the past. Sales were not up to par.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
Firewood
Believe it or not, he has tried this. Sales were not coming in as expected, so he ditched the idea.

Thanks for the input!

Old 08-27-2015, 12:00 PM

32,650 posts, read 48,040,180 times
Firewood is a summer business. It's cut in the summer and it is stacked in the summer.

I would have thought that a yard full of snow would work for birthday parties, but if he has already tried that and it didn't work, then that wasn't a good idea.

You might tell us what sort of area. Sled dog rides work where I am. But ice sells year round in Oregon because the fishermen buy it in bulk.

Propane delivery works in winter. People stock up at the end of summer but they run out.

Christmas tree business is picking back up. It nearly died when so many people went to artificial trees, but it appears they are tired of the artificial trees.

I'm in a ski resort town so there are a lot of winter businesses but they don't work so well outside a recreational area.

Old 08-27-2015, 12:57 PM

4,668 posts, read 3,899,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Compuhi View Post
Hi all,

A friend has been in the ice business for a number of years. He distributes ice to varies stores within his region. His business does very well and he is quite content with it.

Even though he is content with it, the winter months are extremely slow for him. He has tried multiple things to diversify with ice - snow machines, selling various misc items, etc. But nothing has really caught on.

If anyone happens to be in a seasonal business such as ice, if you wouldn't mind sharing how you diversify for your slow months, it would be much appreciated! Thanks!
I don't know of any businesses around here that sell ice by the bag except grocery stores, so I'd be curious who he is selling ice to in the first place. I own a restaurant and my ice machine went down this last weekend, and going to a grocery store to buy bags was really annoying, even just for the 4 days while we waited for the part to come in. If there was a business that could supply me ice during a time like that, I would buy from them. He could leave business cards at all the restaurants in his area, and tell them if their ice machine breaks down he can supply them ice. That wouldn't likely bring in much money, but every bit helps. But, I can't really help with the thread question. I don't know what he could do during the winter, and I don't know who would be buying ice during the winter...

Another thought, has he tried to rent/lease out ice machines? Seems to me that could bring in additional money, not just during the winter, but all year. He wouldn't even have to use new ice machines, just buy older ice machines that are in good condition (assuming he might not have the money to lay down thousands for brand new machines), not too old though and lease them for say $100 month. Most restaurants prefer to lease ice machines, then they don't have the headache of maintaining them. I personally own mine, and maintenance so far has been pretty easy. The cost of my ice machine over 2 years has been about $40 a month and will continue to drop every month assuming I have no more issues for a while.

Old 08-27-2015, 01:00 PM

4,668 posts, read 3,899,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Firewood is a summer business. It's cut in the summer and it is stacked in the summer.

I would have thought that a yard full of snow would work for birthday parties, but if he has already tried that and it didn't work, then that wasn't a good idea.

You might tell us what sort of area. Sled dog rides work where I am. But ice sells year round in Oregon because the fishermen buy it in bulk.

Propane delivery works in winter. People stock up at the end of summer but they run out.

Christmas tree business is picking back up. It nearly died when so many people went to artificial trees, but it appears they are tired of the artificial trees.

I'm in a ski resort town so there are a lot of winter businesses but they don't work so well outside a recreational area.
A friend of mine's dad did propane, and made a lot of money doing it. He got contracts to sell propane at a few Home Depots, and really made a lot that way. I don't know the ins and outs of that sort of business though.

Old 08-27-2015, 06:26 PM

2,869 posts, read 4,452,265 times
How much effort does your friend want to put out ?

Depending on what investment he wants to put out, here are few ideas.

Rental of ozone generators. Any house that has had smokers, or elderly residents, or one where a person has died in the house, can sure use a ozone machine, for a few days to a week. It usually takes two machines, one near the circulating fan of the heating system, and one near the main odor source. The funeral home operators usually have a few for rent. The market is either the home owner, or the real estate agents.

Real estate sign install and removal. Agents don't want to get their hands dirty, and if you can supply a storage space for the signs, you have a part time business. In addition, outside clean ups of foreclosures, cut grass, trim trees, paint, and clean.

Clean ups of construction sites, especially new homes. Trades people don't want to clean up scrap lumber, broken bricks, and shingles, so approach the site supervisor and ask about doing the clean ups for a set price per house. You need a coupe of wheel barrows, shovels, and rakes. The construction company drops a 40 cubic yard container, and you fill it up. Can be done any day that its not raining. A second service is window cleaning of those same homes, and clean out of the garages, and back yards, after the trades guys are finished their work.

Winter storage of motorcycles. A secure lockable industrial unit, with room enough for 100 bikes at $300 each from October to April. Gas to be drained out of the tanks, batteries removed, and owners supply covers, if they have one. Can be repeated year after year, and expanded if the demand is great enough. In the opposite season........winter recreational items, like snow machines. Every one needs storage now.

Rental of GPS locator devices, for "cheating spouse " situations. Tracks by the minute, shows results on any computer, can be placed under the car, has a super strong magnet. Can also be installed in valuable exotic cars, or high value construction equipment, in case of theft. As long as the vehicle is not under ground, the satellite GPS system will tell you where it is, down to a 20 foot square area. Some can be set up to go to "sleep " until called to life by a special phone call. Great for high end car rental companies. Also works for repos of cars and boats, that are leased. If the payments stop, turn on the GPS and go get it.

That's all I have for now.

'Jim B.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business