U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2008, 09:55 AM

3,981 posts, read 9,681,605 times

Advertisements

where you could make a decent profit AND pay your employees a living wage, what could you do?

It often seems that for a small business owner, its one or the other.

I'm hoping I am wrong.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2008, 11:55 AM

2,952 posts, read 12,488,962 times
Figure out what people need when times are good and bad.

We have our own business. Right now things have slowed down and we anticipated this and planned for it. This is our 15th year in business. I can not tell you have many times we have not paid ourselves so that our employees could get paid.

A friend of ours runs several businesses. One is a hobby store, one is an asphalt resurfacing business and I forget the other one. I know the last two are seasonal.

Old 01-28-2008, 12:09 PM

24,839 posts, read 33,900,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhlcomp View Post
Figure out what people need when times are good and bad.

We have our own business. Right now things have slowed down and we anticipated this and planned for it. This is our 15th year in business. I can not tell you have many times we have not paid ourselves so that our employees could get paid.

A friend of ours runs several businesses. One is a hobby store, one is an asphalt resurfacing business and I forget the other one. I know the last two are seasonal.
Agreed! That is why I choose water. Never hire anyone to do what you can do yourself. Be ready to never have a day off or vacation for a long time. I mean 18 hour days.

Old 01-28-2008, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
Agreed! That is why I choose water. Never hire anyone to do what you can do yourself. Be ready to never have a day off or vacation for a long time. I mean 18 hour days.
thats why I'm looking more for an investment type of business...

Old 01-28-2008, 12:31 PM

4,739 posts, read 7,752,875 times
Its a knac for spotting a nitch, I have had several businesses over a 30 year span and have always made money. I am a small business owner and am always changing things to keep it profitable. I bought a union 76 station in 93 that was doing poorly adjacent to an industrial park, added a deli and delivery and was netting $2300 a day inside of 6 months, sold it for a profit in 2 years and opened a Skateboard Shop in a great location with no competition and netted $40,000 in just the month of December following our October grand opening and its grown over the last 4 years, I've added an online site that took awhile to produce but it only requires daily updating of inventory and it adds about $30,000 a year to our bottom line and earlier this month I added about 400 auctions a week on ebay which have been doing well for us, I did the research and discovered that certain clothing items sold well so I traveled and got hooked up with a company and am now closing 1/2 of everything I put up and netting an extra $173 a day and I never have to leave here to do it, USPS picks up for free and supplies the boxes for free....I love the net.

Old 01-28-2008, 02:28 PM

857 posts, read 4,600,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalblue View Post
where you could make a decent profit AND pay your employees a living wage, what could you do?

It often seems that for a small business owner, its one or the other.

I'm hoping I am wrong.
Are you asking what type of business you should open, or do you have something in mind already?

Old 01-28-2008, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthmeetsSouth View Post
Are you asking what type of business you should open, or do you have something in mind already?
I have nothing in mind.

I'm just looking for examples of a business someone could start, say with maybe 100k, and make a decent profit while also paying your employees a decent wage.

Old 01-28-2008, 02:58 PM

4,739 posts, read 7,752,875 times
100K?, I'd stick with some kind of service buisness, honestly you can blow the first 7K on a sign to put out in front of a retail business and another $10 K for a small retail location before you ever get started., I payed $2800.00 a month for a tiny location in Fort Lauderdale Fla back in the mid 80's. I would never even consider going into business without 2 years worth of income in the bank for just in case.
If I was looking for something with $100,000 I would look to open with no more than 30k and one employee and that includes risk.

Old 01-28-2008, 03:00 PM

857 posts, read 4,600,104 times
It is so hard to say. there are probably dozens of businesses you could start but I think you should pick something that you are interested in. I started a construction company several years ago, but that isn't something I would recommend to most people. One thing that I do on the side is buy old fixer uppers and renovate them and rent them. If you like that sort of thing now is a good time because there are so many houses for sale. If you buy in an area that has a college then it is recession-proof because kids will always be going to school, and mom and dad will always be looking for a place for them to live. Just don't put too much into fixing it up because you will be redoing it every summer.

Old 01-28-2008, 06:12 PM

actually, I'm not going to be doing this for a while. I'm going to law school, and Im hoping to use some of that lawyer money to invest in a business.
It would have to be a business that requires minimum management...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or