Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2015, 11:30 AM

4,040 posts, read 2,557,052 times

Advertisements

Just to let you know.

In general when a salesperson sees a "No Soliciting" sign they are trained to believe that these are the most likely sales candidates.

They use the line of reasoning that generally it is a stay at home mom who has a bad habit of buying stuff while her husband is away at work. So HE put the sign up in the hopes of limiting the damages, so to speak.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2015, 11:30 AM

12,108 posts, read 23,281,885 times
You know, a smart burglar would knock on your door with the intention of having you follow him around for an hour while his unseen partner goes into your house once you are out of sight and cleans you out. And your appearance on someone's doorstep is going to be just as unwelcome as the solicitor's.

Old 10-12-2015, 03:34 PM

55 posts, read 52,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
You know, a smart burglar would knock on your door with the intention of having you follow him around for an hour while his unseen partner goes into your house once you are out of sight and cleans you out. And your appearance on someone's doorstep is going to be just as unwelcome as the solicitor's.
LOL, you think my house is not occupied by multiple people and multiple shooters.

As I am very active on my community association, my neighborhood has all of about 3 households where the occupants don't know me. None of the others will consider me "unwelcome" and will very much take my word for it if I tell them I suspect these are burglars (Regardless of whether I really believe that)

Old 10-12-2015, 03:43 PM

55 posts, read 52,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Our city has solved this problem. I don't think your idea would be illegal in any way, but it could earn you a reputation as the neighborhood nut. Our police have little else to do and will respond, and in fact arrest violators. Here is how we handle them:
We have similar laws in my county, but surprise surprise the police don't bother enforcing it.

By the way, the reputation that this "neighborhood nut" has is the man who has been elected and reelected as Treasurer of the Association time and time again, and virtually everyone knows me.

So it would me more like:

Me: "Hey Bob and Carol, let me tell you a little bit about our friend here who claims to be a 'salesman' "

Them: "A salesman! Really, you don't say!"

Solicitor: "And that's why I made several hundred dollars less than my quota today boss. I thought that sign was a bluff! Please don't fire me!"

Old 10-12-2015, 05:43 PM

2,181 posts, read 1,628,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red On The Noodle View Post
That is not bogus about burglars. In my area, there have now been three reported instances of people posing as door to door sales or survey takers and when the door is not answered, they are trying the door handles, front and back, to try and gain entry.
Thank you for saying so. We had something like that going on in our area too.

Old 10-17-2015, 07:37 PM

1,562 posts, read 1,492,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doodlemagic View Post
Your annoyed by door to door solicitors wasting your time yet you are willing to waste 10x as much time trying to "get back at" them. I'd just ignore it, it's part of life, nothing you do will make a difference.
That's my thinking on it. Either ignore them or blow them off. Salesmen are gonna knock on your door and neighborhood cats are gonna mess up your flower beds; welcome to suburbia. If these are the worst of your problems, count your blessings.

To answer your question, OP: No, you couldn't do that. A solicitor doesn't need a written restraining order to prevent you from following him around, even if he's in public. What you're describing is harassment, and a PO will instruct you to leave him alone or face arrest.

Please don't misunderstand, I'm real proud of you for being elected and re-elected as the Association Treasurer, but it sounds like you really need to get yourself a hobby, Bob.

Old 10-17-2015, 07:48 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,944,601 times
Then you'll be trespassing, too.

Old 10-18-2015, 07:30 AM

61 posts, read 56,870 times
DO NOT DO IT!!!! I understand the frustration but don't do that..

Old 10-19-2015, 07:38 AM

7,195 posts, read 5,727,017 times
How many solicitors are you getting? I live in a suburban area with no gates, and maybe we get one a month? Generally it's in the summer, when the grass grows more quickly than weekly mowings can control; they see our overgrown lawn on Fridays and assume we need their landscaping services.

Get a big dog (or a small dog with a big WOOF). Not only will you have less to worry about in terms of a break-in (would-be burglars are generally dissuaded if they know they'll have to deal with a dog), but doorbell-ringers will often leave pretty quickly if they see/hear a barking dog at the front window. At least, that's been my experience.

Old 10-19-2015, 09:53 AM

3,330 posts, read 2,138,222 times
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business