Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Beginning of the end
Yes 16 28.57%
No 31 55.36%
Invincible 9 16.07%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2015, 05:19 PM

6,737 posts, read 4,419,540 times

Advertisements

Remember the good ol' days when you couldn't afford something, you did without it. And did fine. Now you can have whatever you want. Imported, cheap price and cheaply made. Are you really any better off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2015, 07:12 PM

8,043 posts, read 10,635,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.7traveler View Post
I always feel dirty when I leave walmart. Like I just walked through the bowels of humanity. I hate that place and try to avoid buying anything from there whenever possible.
LOL, I totally agree. I only go in there for craft or electronic items because we have, unfortunately, no where else in our small town to purchase them. I get in, I get out, just as fast as I can, and I always walk out of there feeling like "blech". What a nasty, depressing shopping experience.

Old 10-23-2015, 06:47 PM

7,072 posts, read 9,619,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strelnikov View Post
SPOT ON! When people complain about Walmart's customer service on the various business complaint sites, they don't understand that Walmart does not care. if prices are low, Walmart knows that people will shop at Walmart anyway, no matter how bad their customer service experience. The lure is prices, not service. This is why, say, they may only have three lanes open at a Supercenter, with lines winding to Tibet and back.

Have you shopped at a Meijer or Sears store lately? Having only 3 checkout lanes open is the norm.

Old 10-23-2015, 06:51 PM

7,072 posts, read 9,619,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whocares811 View Post
Wal-Mart CEO Doug McMillon Gets $25.6M Pay Package. C. Douglas McMillon, who became the president and CEO of Wal-Mart Stores Inc. of Bentonville on Feb. 1, saw his total compensation skyrocket 168 percent to $25.6 million for the fiscal year that ended Jan. 31 as compared with the previous year.Apr 23, 2014.
//www.city-data.com/forum/busin...oug...Arkansas Business Online

Sorry if this has already been posted. (Have not read the entire thread yet.)

Yeah, and the OP link is titled, "Walmart: Wage Hikes Are Killing Our Prices". Well, maybe they should take a look at the salaries of their top executives.

I have not shopped at Walmart for years and I never intend to do so again.

Executives at GM, Ford, and Chrysler were getting huge bonuses back in 2008-2010 when their companies were laying off employees left and right. Where was the outrage then? Oh, I forgot - the auto companies got government handouts.

Old 10-23-2015, 06:56 PM

2,994 posts, read 5,590,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
So I asked myself "If these people aren't going to Walmart then where are they going ?"

The dollar stores my friend..the next lowest rung after Walmart.

I'm now going to look into Dollar General and Big Lots as possible investments.

To quote the famous Rahm Emanual words:

"Never let a good crisis go to waste".
The dollar stores have nice products because they buy closeouts or discontinued items. My local dollar store had 60 watt Fiet led light bulbs. $1 for an LED light bulb? They claim LED bulbs last many many years but if it lasts only a year i made my moneys worth and saved on the electric bill.

Old 10-25-2015, 08:49 PM

17,711 posts, read 29,823,179 times
Walmart is doomed in the long run, but not for the reasons the vast majority here cited.

In the USA, between 1900 and 2000, real (not nominal) incomes quadrupled.
When your income goes up by 4x, you move up to a better shopping experience.
If real incomes quadruple in this century, then "always the low price" is a losing strategy.

Old 10-25-2015, 08:52 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,275,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Don't forget that many cities and states have instituted the min $15/hour law.
By 2017 Walmart will be hit for that.
Most if not all of those big wage increases are incremental and will take effect over a period of several years so please quit being so dramatic

Old 10-26-2015, 05:12 AM

94 posts, read 92,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
Walmart is doomed in the long run, but not for the reasons the vast majority here cited.

In the USA, between 1900 and 2000, real (not nominal) incomes quadrupled.
When your income goes up by 4x, you move up to a better shopping experience.
If real incomes quadruple in this century, then "always the low price" is a losing strategy.

I agree with, that Walmart is doomed in the long run, but not because people don't want low prices. Why else are discounters like Aldi or Lidl so successsfull?
Aldi or Lidl are successfull because people are looking for value. And upscale grocery stores that offer a nice shopping experience are also doing well. But all businesses between will lose market shares.

Just look at the current development in the UK grocery retail market:

UK grocery sales changes over the last 12 weeks:

Aldi: +27.6%
Lidl: +23.3%
Marks & Spencer: +3.0%
Waitrose: +2.1%
Sainsbury: 0.0%
Co-Operative: -0.1%
Tesco: -1.2%
Morrisons: -1.3%
ASDA: -4.2%

(figures are from Nielsen)

ASDA is the Walmart branch in the UK and it's the biggest looser. Marks & Spencers and Waitrose are the most upscale grocery chains in the UK, they are doing fine.
At the moment it looks like the British grocery market will become similar to the German grocery market.

Walmart can't compete with the prices from Aldi and Lidl, and they also can't offer the shopping experience and the service that can be found at upscale grocery stores. Walmart is stuck in the middle. That's the most incenvenient position.

Mature grocery retail markets will probably be dominated by a combination out of discount grocery stores and upscale grocery stores. With not much between.

Old 10-26-2015, 01:45 PM

19,517 posts, read 9,540,055 times
You couldn't pay me to shop at our local Aldi's.
Been there. Does not have anything significant to offer.

Old 10-26-2015, 05:24 PM

94 posts, read 92,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cat1116 View Post
You couldn't pay me to shop at our local Aldi's.
Been there. Does not have anything significant to offer.

Why not? Do you need name brand products? Or do you need everything under one roof? Do you don't like that the Aldi employees are well paid?

Last edited by sebastiannight; 10-26-2015 at 06:01 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business