Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2015, 01:41 PM

371 posts, read 335,913 times

Advertisements

Anyone here have any experience with what it is like to sell crafts at farmers markets, craft fairs, etc>

I am in Marin County. The biggest difficulty so far has been finding a spot to do so-many places are quite impacted. I wonder if perhaps I could talk to a current vendor about splitting a table. I have read about resellers licenses and the like.

I plan to sell mainly airplant crafts(possibly the addition of succulent dish gardens and terrariums later-but one thing at a time)-most notably hats designed so that carefully selected airplants can live on them indefinitely(this has taken over a year of testing to get down to the point where I feel comfortable selling them). I have a personal one and it gets enough attention just day to day that I figure people might actually want to own one themselves. Many airplant vendors I've seen set people up for failure with these plants since they don't understand the plants biology(little glass globes, fridge magnets etc. etc.) I hope to be different in offering products and advice that makes it so the average person will have much better chances of success...also have a bit more about the plants natural history.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2015, 10:00 AM

9,712 posts, read 7,537,199 times
You need to actually speak with the people who actually manage the markets and craft fairs and see what they require to set up a table. Did they tell you that there aren't any available already? I don't understand what "quite impacted" means.

If you find a vendor who will share a table, you still have to have your resellers license and whatever else is required in your area to be able to collect and remit sales taxes.

Old 11-21-2015, 03:45 PM

Kara:
I was able to speak with the manager of 1 place via phone and one via email. Both said they did not have spots but would notify me if something opened.

Their are more markets so the search continues.

Understood on the resellers license.

Old 11-22-2015, 12:00 PM

4,668 posts, read 3,862,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bornincali View Post
Kara:
I was able to speak with the manager of 1 place via phone and one via email. Both said they did not have spots but would notify me if something opened.

Their are more markets so the search continues.

Understood on the resellers license.
My grandmother has sold crafts and vegetables for years at a couple different farmers markets. I know a decent amount about how it works. But to be honest I don't understand most of your questions.

The one question I understand is, can you split a table with a current vendor? Maybe, that may be against the farmers market rules and it may be hard to find someone who wants to split a table or booth. Both of those require you to check the farmers markets and vendors. Ask the farmers markets first.

Old 11-22-2015, 04:59 PM

32,480 posts, read 47,415,214 times
Just a suggestion, if the hats are really clever and might make a nice gift, check with the local malls about opening a kiosk in the mall just until Christmas.

Old 11-23-2015, 04:26 PM

Hello Oregonwoodsmoke:

I certainly have the(likely biased) opinion of these hats being clever. What would be involved with a mall kiosk?

Mattks: My apologies-their are no real questions yet. So here are some for you.

-What is it like?(personally, amount of prepwork involved, logistical issues)

-Challenges?

-Did you find it worthwhile in the end?

Old 11-23-2015, 04:48 PM

18,325 posts, read 18,900,655 times
selling anything at craft fairs is hard work, you will have good and bad days. the other issue is location within the fair itself. most of the regulars will have the good booths or be in the same location week after week, making it easier for returning customers to find them.

as for your product, they sound cute and novel if I understand you right, you are in two niche markets that limit your customer base. one, plants two hats, not everyone wants nor wears these products. I am not sure many people would want to buy a hat with a plant on top of it. the price would have to be very reasonable to attract the customer that would buy. don't forget you are competing with every other vendor there as well. best of uck.

Old 11-23-2015, 05:14 PM

hothulamaui: Exactly. It certainly is not food. I feel like in the Bay area as of late their has been an upswing in interest in plants(succulents etc.). I don't know if customers would actually wear them or simply use them as decor for the patio-though they are quite wearable. I do feel that people can be fairly particular about hats so that could pose a problem. Using nice wholesale straw/sunhats they could be done for $20 and up(this being a little over 2x my estimated production cost) depending on how many and what type of plants are on them.

I figure they are odd enough they might attract attention to the booth. I also plan to have loose plants(including those that will survive hat life-so someone who already owns the correct type of hat could buy some for it) and some basic arrangements(plants strung on wires to hang like windchimes, mounted to branches etc. etc.).

Last edited by bornincali; 11-23-2015 at 05:31 PM..

Old 11-23-2015, 05:24 PM

18,325 posts, read 18,900,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bornincali View Post
hothulamaui: Exactly. It certainly is not food.

I figure they are odd enough they might attract attention to the booth. I also plan to have loose plants and some basic arrangements(plants strung on wires to hang like windchimes, mounted to branches etc. etc.)
make sure you have more than just plants on hats. make your display eye catching. I have done tons of swap meet/flea market, arts and craft shows. I am always amazed at what sells even if the market is saturated with vendors selling the same thing. food always sells I guess because we need it, the vendor makes it fast and easy to get as well as perhaps made in a way with local ingredients that the customer would not use in their everyday life. the other thing that always seem to sell is jewelry. I think because it is small and can be put in your bag. it also reminds you of the place you bought it when you look at it later.
if you are in any kind of tourist market figure out how to incorporate the name of your town or area in your product design.

Old 11-23-2015, 05:51 PM

Any suggestions for light, cheap, yet portable display ideas that won't blow over etc.?

I plan to use a plastic fold table. Might need a tablecloth to make it look good. Maybe a small umbrella for shade? Easy ups are huge and heavy-so reluctant to get one. Some way to add vertical space would be very useful-however. I plan to get a couple "shock and awe plants" (hopefully a couple dinner platter or larger specimens) to attach to the sign for photo opps etc. (and I suppose if someone wanted one badly enough sell for a premium). The loose plants I will probably just have in low cardboard or wooden box/trays on the table.

Maybe this is just me but I find that having prices easily visible makes me much more likely to buy. Thoughts?

Thanks so much!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business