Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2015, 08:23 AM

2,744 posts, read 1,776,423 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Thomas View Post
Man!!!!!

I was just gonna ask the same thing!!!!

In my case i wanna know how you can pull money out of an LLC.

I'm planning to start one.

It's just gonna be me.

Do i pick a salary or just get the cash with taxes or what??

Thanks.
A single member LLC essentially doesn't exist for federal tax purposes (unless you elect to have the LLC taxed as a corporation) so it's no different than if you were just running a sole proprietorship. It will be Schedule C income on your 1040 and you'll pay income and self-employment taxes that way.

Be sure to make estimated tax payments during the year so you don't wind up with an underpayment penalty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2015, 09:29 AM

9,829 posts, read 7,695,896 times
Quote:
Man!!!!!

It's just gonna be me.

Thanks.
What kind of business are you going to start? Most business owners don't get a salary right away because they need to put their own money into the business to get it started.

Old 12-19-2015, 10:58 AM

4,231 posts, read 3,553,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
What kind of business are you going to start? Most business owners don't get a salary right away because they need to put their own money into the business to get it started.
Basically a startup

I also have some plans about real estate.

Does it really differ much by sectors??

I'm not planning to pull money right away though.

Just wanted to know how mechanism works

Old 12-19-2015, 11:09 AM

41,111 posts, read 25,705,423 times
Quote:
Man!!!!!

It's just gonna be me.

Thanks.
A limited liability company (LLC) is a business structure that combines the pass-through taxation of a partnership or sole proprietorship with the limited liability of a corporation. An LLC is not a corporation; it is a legal form of a company that provides limited liability to its owners in many jurisdictions.

To my understanding it protects the owner from legal issues unless you are careless in mixing business and personal at which case they can pierce the veil. I could be wrong but I think you have to also have established a business entity (sole proprietor, S-corp).

Again, to my understanding you start as a sole proprietor but as your income increases you change to an s-corp and pay yourself a salary (and pay taxes) throughout the year. Your CPA will guide you on this. Revenue's minus costs of doing business (including your paycheck - minus payroll taxes) then anything left is claimed on your personal tax return and you pay taxes on that amount even if you must keep some of the money in the business account to pay vendors and employees.

For example my company is an S-corp and LLC.

Old 12-19-2015, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
A limited liability company (LLC) is a business structure that combines the pass-through taxation of a partnership or sole proprietorship with the limited liability of a corporation. An LLC is not a corporation; it is a legal form of a company that provides limited liability to its owners in many jurisdictions.

To my understanding it protects the owner from legal issues unless you are careless in mixing business and personal at which case they can pierce the veil. I could be wrong but I think you have to also have established a business entity (sole proprietor, S-corp).

Again, to my understanding you start as a sole proprietor but as your income increases you change to an s-corp and pay yourself a salary (and pay taxes) throughout the year. Your CPA will guide you on this. Revenue's minus costs of doing business (including your paycheck - minus payroll taxes) then anything left is claimed on your personal tax return and you pay taxes on that amount even if you must keep some of the money in the business account to pay vendors and employees.

For example my company is an S-corp and LLC.
Definitely need to read more

https://www.irs.gov/Businesses/Small...ty-Company-LLC

Corporation is like really big.

No need to start right away

Old 12-19-2015, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Definitely need to read more

https://www.irs.gov/Businesses/Small...ty-Company-LLC

Corporation is like really big.

No need to start right away
Welcome to dry reading. Running a business is definitly more complicated than onlookers and employees can understand. The paperwork, rules, the tax code is a nightmare and that's not even performing the services needed to run the business. It's also good to shop for an attorney that you establish a relationship with in case. It's easier to punch a time clock but that's very limiting. When running a business your best friends are

A banker,
A bookkeeper,
A CPA,
An Attorney

By the way, the state just audited me but couldn't find anything wrong but it still cost me over $800 and lots of time to prove my innocence. The state needs more money so they'll look at people who they think they can find some money.

I've also been taken to court and it cost me only $12k for attorney fees because it was a frivolous attempt to get money.

Old 12-19-2015, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Welcome to dry reading. Running a business is definitly more complicated than onlookers and employees can understand. The paperwork, rules, the tax code is a nightmare and that's not even performing the services needed to run the business. It's also good to shop for an attorney that you establish a relationship with in case. It's easier to punch a time clock but that's very limiting. When running a business your best friends are

A banker,
A bookkeeper,
A CPA,
An Attorney

By the way, the state just audited me but couldn't find anything wrong but it still cost me over $800 and lots of time to prove my innocence. The state needs more money so they'll look at people who they think they can find some money.

I've also been taken to court and it cost me only $12k for attorney fees because it was a frivolous attempt to get money.
What

What happened

Can you get that back??

Old 12-19-2015, 12:11 PM

Quote:
What

What happened

Can you get that back??
Nope, the money's spent.

As for running the business fortunately I hired a bookkeeper/Quickbooks expert early. A CPA is not a one time meeting at the end of the year either. You plan throughout the year. They are the experts and you pay them to guide you.

People who start businesses really don't understand whats involved. I punched a time clock for 20 years and didn't have a clue. I laugh at myself when I think back and also remember co-workers who used to talk about "blowing this place" and starting a business and saying they were going to make "big bucks". People think you sit on the beach drinking pina colada's lol. Wrong.

I'm not trying to scare you, I'm just telling you that it's best to hire a team to keep you in line so you don't get in trouble. I used to say, I have so much to do that I do everything half ass. Now I hire the experts to do it right.

Old 12-19-2015, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Nope, the money's spent.

As for running the business fortunately I hired a bookkeeper/Quickbooks expert early. A CPA is not a one time meeting at the end of the year either. You plan throughout the year. They are the experts and you pay them to guide you.

People who start businesses really don't understand what can happen. I punched a time clock for 20 years and didn't have a clue to what was all involved. I laugh at myself when I think back and also remember co-workers who used to talk about "blowing this place" and starting a business and saying they were going to make "big bucks". People think you sit on the beach drinking pina colada's lol. Wrong.

I'm not trying to scare you, I'm just telling you that it's best to hire a team to keep you in line so you don't get in trouble. I used to say, I have so much to do that I do everything half ass. Now I hire the experts to do it right.
No wonder self employment and starting business rates are at record lows today.

All these fees are huge

You gotta be extra careful.

Thanks for all info man

Old 12-19-2015, 12:47 PM

Quote:
No wonder self employment and starting business rates are at record lows today.

All these fees are huge

You gotta be extra careful.

Thanks for all info man
You have to have a solid idea (fill a need) and look at how much competition there is and how can you serve your customer better. Successful businesses are companies that serve their customer well. In other words, provide a service or products that people want and are willing to pay for, unless of course mandated by government and they don't have to serve their customer well.

The cost of getting started, which is most times personal debt because banks will not give you a loan based on unproven idea's but based on your personal credit history (second mortgage, credit cards). and then the continued cost of running the business. Fee's, CPA's bookkeepers, Attorneys, legal paperwork and applications, vendors, paying for services outside and employee's, insurances are a cost of doing business, then then there are the taxes that kicked the drive to grow the business right out of me.

If you do become successful, your profit increase, since that is reported on your personal income taxes that profit is seen as high income even though you must keep some of that money in the business to keep it running but the tax man wants a chunk based on "all" of it.

Most people start as a sole proprietor (I think it's automatic, not sure) then as the business become more successful change to an s-corporation because of payroll taxes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business