Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-10-2015, 02:52 PM

838 posts, read 1,353,175 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone, I've been thinking about starting a little side project on the side to make some extra cash. An Elderly Errand Service. I've researched my area and I'm not seeing any services like this besides just medical transport services.

My services would include grocery shopping, driving them to their appointments, taking pets to the vet and possibly some yard work.

Has anyone ever started a service like this? Would like to get some feedback from people who have knowledge of this type of business.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2015, 10:23 PM

15,250 posts, read 12,952,205 times
I think you may find this is covered fully by companies that also provide in-home medical care as well as many kinds of non-medical services.

An example: My MIL (88 years old, disabled) has a home health aide come for half a day. The aide assists her with showering, prepares her breakfast and lunch, takes her shopping, takes her to medical appointments, etc. She also has an occupational therapist visit several times a week.

These home care companies will do pretty much whatever a senior needs.

I'm telling you this not to discourage you, only to point out that it's a great idea and so attractive a business proposition that many large companies have rushed into this space. Some are franchises. One idea might be to apply for a part-time job with one of these companies so you can learn the ropes first-hand and find the weaknesses in their business.

Whatever you choose to do, best of luck.

Old 12-11-2015, 06:54 AM

3,763 posts, read 12,545,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebellious1 View Post
Hello everyone, I've been thinking about starting a little side project on the side to make some extra cash. An Elderly Errand Service. I've researched my area and I'm not seeing any services like this besides just medical transport services.

My services would include grocery shopping, driving them to their appointments, taking pets to the vet and possibly some yard work.

Has anyone ever started a service like this? Would like to get some feedback from people who have knowledge of this type of business.

Thanks.
I'd agree - you're basically looking at assisting with ADLs (activities of daily living) - but not on the medical or hygeine side (not meal prep, not toileting assistance).

Some Caregiving companies do assist with the activities you've proposed. Many don't.

Your biggest liability is likely going to be transportation - you'd need to make sure you had proper insurance to cover transporting clients to/from appointments. Additionally, you'd need to make sure you didn't need to have a different type of driver's license (some states require Cabbies, etc.. to have a CDL).

With the popularity of Uber/Lyft, etc.. its possible that its much easier to get the right type of insurance and driver's certification nowadays ... but you'll still need to check into that.

How will you find clients? Churches/hospitals/doctors offices/senior centers - would all be places to advertise I think.

Also, keep in mind that many seniors (especially those that require some level of assitance) may have extremely fixed incomes - so your pricing would need to be quite reasonable.

That said - I'm sure there is need. When my parents were still living at home, having someone to help them with a weekly grocery trip would have been wonderful.

best of luck to you!

Old 12-11-2015, 11:26 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,550 posts, read 81,117,303 times
My elderly parents already take advantage of such a service, and it's free to them, volunteers do it.

Old 12-11-2015, 03:45 PM

32,636 posts, read 47,995,345 times
What would be more in demand is light handyman stuff. There are a lot of jobs that are too small to pay a contractor, yet too heavy for the elderly to do.

Old 12-12-2015, 08:16 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,753,835 times
I'm sure there are already this service. The difference is the price.

Old 12-12-2015, 09:27 PM

1,562 posts, read 1,491,297 times
I don't have any specific experience in this type of business but I would agree that there is a gap in services which you could fill, and it's a good idea. A home health aide will assist with daily living, but is not likely going to replace a broken shed panel, hook up a new appliance, fix a leaky spigot, etc. even if asked. As oregonwoodsmoke mentioned, the light handyman stuff is where your opportunity lies; between the HHA and the professional contractor.

My strongest advice though, whatever you do, is to be very, very clear(in writing) about the services you provide and the cost of them. That's going to be your biggest challenge. Figure out which tasks you're willing to perform and how you're going to price everything. A daily/weekly rate could work, but be prepared for the time the client tells you that you're moving too slow, I told you this, you forgot that, etc. It's going to require some patience, but it can be done. I wish you the best.

Old 12-15-2015, 05:28 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,724,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebellious1 View Post

Thanks.
I like the idea especially since I'm in the middle of this nightmare. I'm sorry to say that as usual there is alway a problem. Unless the elderly person is "by government definition" poor (and gets all kinds government help) the middle class who doesn't get help is broke. Family members who are willing to help then end up being dragged down and soon to be broke because of it.

For me, when I am not there my phone rings (and I want to scream) as if no one could do anything on their own. Maybe a co-ordinator to give family caregivers a little peace and family time too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business