Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2016, 11:13 AM

4,231 posts, read 3,558,959 times

Advertisements

Guys i'm planning to start a real estate LLC.

The reason i'm starting LLC is i want to expand later and benefit from taxes and ease of getting loans in the future.

Everybody loves businesses

I want to know which taxes i will pay.

I'm planning to buy small apartments and rent them for now.

Let's say i'm generating $1000/mo from 2 apartments.

How much will this cost me??

This is in TX

Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2016, 07:27 AM

4,668 posts, read 3,900,630 times
Texas doesn't have income taxes, so for Texas all you have to pay is property tax, LLC fees, and Federal taxes. Anything else?

It's not so simple as asking how much will this cost me, is $1000/mo your profit (net?) or revenue? Do you have other income from other business or wages? Let's assume $1000/mo is your profits, so basically your income from rentals is $12,000/year. You have to pay Federal taxes on that $12,000. I recommend you get a CPA or if you have any knowledge and a lot of patience do your taxes on hrblock or some other website. Most are pretty easy and will help guide you through it step by step.

Old 01-12-2016, 10:29 AM

Thank you so much for answer.

I thought nobody would reply

I'll buy two apartments with my savings, no mortgage or stuff.

And then they'll be rented.

About expenses maybe some HOA and other maintenance

What's the tax rate??

I would say profit would probably like $900 since there will always be some expenses.

Old 01-12-2016, 11:06 AM

9,865 posts, read 7,736,569 times
You're not giving us enough info to reply to your question.

How much do the apartments cost? When are you going to buy them? What are property taxes in that county? How much do you need to spend to get them ready to rent? What other income do you have? Do you have handyman skills or will you always need to hire people? How many months out of the year will the apartments be rented? What if the renters don't pay? What does an HOA have to do with it? How much will the insurance cost?

Old 01-12-2016, 11:20 AM

I don't know these either

Apartments are in Dallas, each costing about 35K-45K.

I haven't made up my mind yet on exact properties.

They may need some flooring and other things but do they even matter??

I am rather interested in what happens next.

A guide is welcomed

Definitely need to consult with a CPA.

Old 01-13-2016, 06:30 PM

2,432 posts, read 2,692,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Thomas View Post
I don't know these either

Apartments are in Dallas, each costing about 35K-45K.

I haven't made up my mind yet on exact properties.

They may need some flooring and other things but do they even matter??

I am rather interested in what happens next.

A guide is welcomed

Definitely need to consult with a CPA.
Your only taxes, like mentioned should be federal and property tax since you do not pay income tax (lucky you!). We are in ohio and have 6 rental properties. All bought with cash and were $10-13k each. Just make sure you know what your bottom line will be after expected expenses each month. There can be many expenses that pop up. Will you have to pay for any utilities? How much will insurance cost per month? If theyre older homes, like we bought, expect things to need repaired and maintenanced more often.

Best thing is to consult a CPA to make sure you take advantage of every tax saving opportunity out there when you have them, and even before so you can be sure its a good deal. Just because theyre cheap doesnt mean theyre a good deal.

Old 01-16-2016, 02:17 PM

32,655 posts, read 48,053,996 times
[quote=J.......What's the tax rate??.....[/quote]

Go online to the IRS website and open up the tax tables for 2015. Look up the amount of profit you expect and the table will tell you what the income tax will be.

Then you need to go to your state income tax website and do the same for your state income taxes.

Old 01-16-2016, 07:19 PM

106,683 posts, read 108,856,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Thomas View Post
Guys i'm planning to start a real estate LLC.

The reason i'm starting LLC is i want to expand later and benefit from taxes and ease of getting loans in the future.

Everybody loves businesses

I want to know which taxes i will pay.

I'm planning to buy small apartments and rent them for now.

Let's say i'm generating $1000/mo from 2 apartments.

How much will this cost me??

This is in TX

Thanks!!
llc's just pass the profits over to you personally . there is no tax advantage at all .

loans are very very very difficult to get and most banks will not loan under an llc name . you have to take the loans personally .

Old 01-17-2016, 05:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
llc's just pass the profits over to you personally . there is no tax advantage at all .

loans are very very very difficult to get and most banks will not loan under an llc name . you have to take the loans personally .
First apartments will be bought straight, no loans.

I'm gonna build a killer LLC and banks will get in line

You think i need a corporation or inc to get some tax advantages??

Old 01-17-2016, 06:58 AM

19,775 posts, read 22,673,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post

The loan is typically structured with the LLC as the borrower and the principles will sign an unlimited full personal guaranty.

To the OP- you can find a lot of of rental worksheets on the web, I'd suggest adopting a model to tinker with. As previously stated the net income will pass through to the personal return via a schedule K-1 (passive income).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business