Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2016, 02:41 AM

7,190 posts, read 6,821,351 times

Advertisements

The first store will open in Dallas, TX and their website, CircuitCity.com, will be up and running in the Spring. There will be more locations in the future, but where the other locations will be have yet to be determined. Looks like a glorified RadioShack to me. Thoughts?

Circuit City is coming back
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2016, 05:22 AM

1,638 posts, read 1,108,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LM117 View Post
The first store will open in Dallas, TX and their website, CircuitCity.com, will be up and running in the Spring. There will be more locations in the future, but where the other locations will be have yet to be determined. Looks like a glorified RadioShack to me. Thoughts?

Circuit City is coming back
Awesome!

Old 01-30-2016, 10:42 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,524,353 times
Lol. Why? They sucked the first time around.

Old 01-31-2016, 02:52 PM

4,236 posts, read 8,140,233 times
This will be a flash in the pan, but it won't be much of a flash maybe just a little smoke

Old 02-04-2016, 03:45 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,147,443 times
Why?

In that news release they haven't told me a single thing about why I would want to choose them over a Best Buy. And aesthetics of the store doesn't count.

That's the thing. Lots of people want to start a business. Few can be objective enough about their business idea to really sharpen their pencils and create true differentiation.

Old 02-05-2016, 03:53 AM

8,052 posts, read 12,772,027 times
I wish "CompUSA" would make a comeback.

Old 02-05-2016, 05:53 AM

1,562 posts, read 1,491,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Why?

In that news release they haven't told me a single thing about why I would want to choose them over a Best Buy. And aesthetics of the store doesn't count.

That's the thing. Lots of people want to start a business. Few can be objective enough about their business idea to really sharpen their pencils and create true differentiation.
Can you get a 3-D printer or a drone at Best Buy, though? I gather from the article that this is where they're going to try to fit in. They can offer all of the electronics geared toward the average consumer plus the specialty items for the more serious hobbyists. And if they're willing to "price match+" like before, they could conceivably make it work.

I'm also curious what is meant by CC having the "support" of the major brands cited. What exactly does that mean, if anything? Exclusive products, early releases, special discounts?

Old 02-05-2016, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mysterious Benefactor View Post
Can you get a 3-D printer or a drone at Best Buy, though? I gather from the article that this is where they're going to try to fit in. They can offer all of the electronics geared toward the average consumer plus the specialty items for the more serious hobbyists. And if they're willing to "price match+" like before, they could conceivably make it work.

I'm also curious what is meant by CC having the "support" of the major brands cited. What exactly does that mean, if anything? Exclusive products, early releases, special discounts?
Dunno. Best Buy has the Geek Squad, so repair and support would be more like table stakes. As far as the 3D printer and drone is concerned, I'm pretty sure that Best Buy could very quickly ramp up in those areas.

To me, real differentiation is key. And I don't mean just some differences in inventory.

Old 02-05-2016, 06:31 PM

1,562 posts, read 1,491,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Dunno. Best Buy has the Geek Squad, so repair and support would be more like table stakes. As far as the 3D printer and drone is concerned, I'm pretty sure that Best Buy could very quickly ramp up in those areas.

To me, real differentiation is key. And I don't mean just some differences in inventory.
I get that, and I don't disagree with you. If they try to be Best Buy's easy step-sister, they're going to lose. But with the demise of Radio Shack, there's a vacuum in the market for the electronic enthusiast. Where can one go to get drones, 3D printers(or their components) or other specialty items, and talk to someone informed about them? Not Best Buy.

And I'm not so sure that Best Buy(in cost-cutting mode) would be willing to take all of that on. Besides the labor question, which BB seems to have enough of already, they would have to sacrifice valuable retail space for what are(today) niche products.

I think there's a need that CC could fill. Whether they're able to do so remains to be seen, but I'm not ready to write them off before they've begun.

Old 02-05-2016, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mysterious Benefactor View Post
I get that, and I don't disagree with you. If they try to be Best Buy's easy step-sister, they're going to lose. But with the demise of Radio Shack, there's a vacuum in the market for the electronic enthusiast. Where can one go to get drones, 3D printers(or their components) or other specialty items, and talk to someone informed about them? Not Best Buy.

And I'm not so sure that Best Buy(in cost-cutting mode) would be willing to take all of that on. Besides the labor question, which BB seems to have enough of already, they would have to sacrifice valuable retail space for what are(today) niche products.

I think there's a need that CC could fill. Whether they're able to do so remains to be seen, but I'm not ready to write them off before they've begun.
I'm not writing them off. My comments were on the article. The corporate leadership had an excellent chance to define how they'd be differently positioned, and they didn't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business