Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2016, 05:10 PM
gg gg started this thread

26,137 posts, read 25,977,619 times

Advertisements

I am an avid investor and have been investing since around 1980. Yeah, I am getting older. It happens. Anyway, I want to pose a theory. I am not suggesting this is the situation with Chipotle, BUT it IS going to happen and probably already has and I wonder about Chipotle. Here me out as an investor knowing lots of greedy people and i have sold short, day traded, swing trade and more.

Chipotle had a high price of $758 in the past year. It is now $439. Now, who would want this price lower? Would they do anything to the company to make money? Publicly held companies are at risk for sabotage, IMHO. With powerful hedge funds and people as greedy as Martin Shkreli, what could happen? Sell Chipotle short or bet on the price to go down (hedge) and have a few people sabotage them for a nice little fee. Would someone or 10 people take $100,000 cash to do a little dirty work? Hmm, how much are they making at Chipotle? Maybe some are planted into the company to do it? Who cares, but I think it can and will happen. I suspect it already has. It would be a piece of cake to be honest. Bad publicity is no problem. Money makes people do whatever.

Did it happen here? Has it happened on another deal? Will it happen? I think it will or already has. Do people understand how much money we are talking about? Over 300 points and multiply that by millions?

Thought?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2016, 05:24 PM

21,132 posts, read 19,714,475 times
Anything is possible. Could be a cook that poisons a bunch of meals. A crop picker that poisons a bunch of produce. A terrorist. North Korean spies. A competitor. Etc.

Old 02-09-2016, 05:27 PM

3,016 posts, read 3,910,427 times
The kind of people that you mentioned that would or could have had the power to orchestrate what you described are inherently cowards and D not like to get their hands dirty directly. Due to the fact that deaths could have occurred combined with the nature of the individuals that would have been involved, I am proposing that there is no way their kind could have been behind it.

They prefer more sanitized and safer (although still corrupt) ways to make the billions that they worship. And they have sure done alot of it since 2008.

Dabbling in EColi. . . . never.

Old 02-09-2016, 05:27 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,458,643 times
Another possibility I've read is the theory that Chipotle was targeted for opposing GMO foods.

Old 02-09-2016, 06:00 PM

8,063 posts, read 12,779,194 times
Not exactly "new". That theory has been going around since the first incident.

Old 02-09-2016, 06:49 PM

7,646 posts, read 9,951,921 times
Or may e it's just run of the mill overpriced fast food and people are sick of it.

Old 02-09-2016, 06:58 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,818,113 times
I am not a conspiracy type by no means, my posting history demonstrates this, but this has a ring of remote possibility to it just by the way this thing occurred. Even though Chipotle has an excellent source to table tracking system, they nor the government could locate the cause, and the impacted places were sporadic and no connection could be made.

But, to pull something like this off without someone being caught or coming forward would be nearly impossible, but it is amazing how all these incidents popped up all at once, then all went away, with no testing or nothing ever detecting anything, nor any connection being made between common sources used. But with the someone being caught, it could have been one person carrying this out, but many others would have to be involved in the plan and we would have to see some sort of action taken due to the price slump. Plus, that is a bold move just for some high level dealing like that, but there are nut cases out there...

But things happen just because they happen.

Old 02-09-2016, 07:01 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,818,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamies View Post
Or may e it's just run of the mill overpriced fast food and people are sick of it.
How is it overpriced? What does overpriced even mean? Because that is subjective. I really find it difficult to understand what all the criticism is about, other than "it is new" so people hate it.

It is a business, a successful one, that offers something people want, difficult to understand what to criticize about it. If it was just run of the mill, then it would not have grown to what it is today with their target market.

Old 02-09-2016, 07:38 PM

6,864 posts, read 12,078,177 times
What happened to Chipotle can happen to any large business serving food. When a lettuce picker is standing in the middle of hundreds of acres, no port a john in sight and experiences intestinal discomfort, they drop their pants and go right where they're standing.

Old 02-09-2016, 11:19 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,275,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d4g4m View Post
What happened to Chipotle can happen to any large business serving food. When a lettuce picker is standing in the middle of hundreds of acres, no port a john in sight and experiences intestinal discomfort, they drop their pants and go right where they're standing.
It doesn't even take that, in the California central valleys they have had several incidents where cow and pig crap got in the irrigation system of farms growing spinach and other leafy crops. If you ever drove by Harris Ranch you'd know what I mean, cows stand in feed lots up to their hocks in their own feces, it's the most disgusting thing I've ever seen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business