U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2019, 02:46 PM

27,820 posts, read 10,455,567 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Looks like someone on this thread missed the primary point of it.
Thanks as always for catching my boo boo and imperfection...maybe some others will pick up and start some discussions on the MLM world.

Many call these businesses scams and the Amway scam continues for 60 yrs. How can that be?

Another Direct Marketing company still going strong since I started with them 25 yrs ago is LifePlus and they are worldwide. Their flagship antioxidant saved me from a life of allergy misery when I found it. I sold a lot of product, but could NOT get anyone to join under me...I tried for 2 yrs...

As far as how to research a company one wants to go with, I first have to be SOLD on what they produce and want us to sell...would I buy them and use them and go from there.

Last edited by jaminhealth; 07-23-2019 at 03:11 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2019, 02:45 AM

1,148 posts, read 1,626,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toolbelt View Post
Do you mean the author who makes a living writing books to motivate those failing in the MLM industry, because they represent a huge captive audience?

Kiyosaki must have been distraught when his savior, Dexter Yager, passed away earlier this year.

Kiyosaki owes everything to Yager finding his Rich Dad book and "recommending" it to his Amway minions.....

Old 08-13-2019, 07:44 PM

27,820 posts, read 10,455,567 times
So many are put off by doing business with a person doing Direct Mktg. My daughter has a great product and I'm using it too and so many just can't get beyond it's Direct Marketing.

And yet Pharma spends Millions on ads to push their stuff. People just don't think about this part of the pharma push to get customers.

Old 08-19-2019, 04:14 PM

6,925 posts, read 3,123,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kristihines View Post
I see a lot of posts in this forum about the legitimacy of MLM companies, most recently Primerica. If you're interested in network marketing or MLM / multi-level marketing companies, then here are the best five resources to use when researching them.

* The Better Business Bureau (if they are US based or have headquarters in the US).

* The Glassdoor rating and reviews given by current and former employees (including distributors) of what it is like to work with the company.

* The website itself to learn about the company and its products.

* The Facebook page of the company to find out if you have any friends who may be employees, distributors, or customers of the company.

* The LinkedIn page of the company to see if you have any friends who may be employees or distributors of the company.

If you're looking for your first direct sales or MLM opportunity, then I suggest using these sources for the company you are researching to find out if it is a good fit for you.

I hope this helps in your research!

I think the best way to research a MLM opportunity is to hold the brochure up to a Bic lighter. If it catches on fire, then it's probably not a safe business opportunity.

Old 08-19-2019, 08:03 PM

29,179 posts, read 35,599,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
I think the best way to research a MLM opportunity is to hold the brochure up to a Bic lighter. If it catches on fire, then it's probably not a safe business opportunity.
LOL! Excellent suggestion.

Old 08-21-2019, 12:16 PM

2,000 posts, read 2,188,121 times
"...and the Amway scam continues for 60 yrs."

Save time and keystrokes with the word scAmway. We'll all know what you mean!

Old 08-23-2019, 08:23 AM

4,545 posts, read 3,717,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
So many are put off by doing business with a person doing Direct Mktg. My daughter has a great product and I'm using it too and so many just can't get beyond it's Direct Marketing.

And yet Pharma spends Millions on ads to push their stuff. People just don't think about this part of the pharma push to get customers.
I think more people are waking up to the fact that multi-level marketing is predatory by its very nature. The founders and those at the top make millions while the vast majority of the "consultants" lose money chasing a dream that they never had a chance of achieving while at the same time alienating friends and family and very often destroying many close relationships. Even if the products were worth the grossly inflated prices the social cost is too great.

Old 09-10-2019, 01:26 PM

56 posts, read 21,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HudsonCoNJ View Post
Want kind of company recruits employees harder than they do customers?
Because in these scams the employee is the customer?

Old 09-11-2019, 06:05 PM

3,647 posts, read 1,498,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlp123 View Post
Because in these scams the employee is the customer?
I once got a call from someone at "Team National"- they said someone had given them my name but seemed unsure as to whether it was as a prospective customer or employee. I looked them up- sure enough an MLM.

A friend from HS is involved with something called "Juice Plus"- how she and her husband cleaned the house, mowed the lawn and pulled all the weeds before playing 18 holes of golf because of the miraculous effects of Juice Plus. Then there are the quarterly 10-day challenges: no caffeine, no alcohol, no refined sugars, plenty of Juice Plus products. Ummm... that's not a life worth living.

She PMed me on FB saying she was looking to add 10 people to her team and was I interested? No, I said- I am well and truly retired. She replied that the residuals were great. I told her I didn't NEED residuals. She backed off.

Fortunately, the Internet is a great source of reviews. The sites on Mary Kay and LuLaRoe are particularly enlightening. You want to see the value of these products: Go onto e-Bay and see how many ex-"dealers" are selling piles of LuLaRoe, Mary Kay, Silpada, etc.

Old 09-17-2019, 09:05 AM

191 posts, read 88,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post

As far as how to research a company one wants to go with, I first have to be SOLD on what they produce and want us to sell...would I buy them and use them and go from there.
Basically you are confirming what the world already knows, and that is that internal consumption is the hallmark of a pyramid scheme. By being a product of the product, you are also merely being a client of the corporation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business