Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2016, 06:30 AM

840 posts, read 3,466,954 times

Advertisements

Felix,

Would like to hear more about your eBay selling. What kind of things do you sell? Are the fees as bad as some say?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2016, 07:18 AM

8,087 posts, read 9,836,106 times
I started buying and reselling objects I was familar with. It just grew as I gained more expertise and studied new markets. Fees are fees. Cannot live in the past when they were less and there were less competitors. Have to accept things as they are. There is an entire forum at ebay for sellers to discuss whats what. Another one for amazon. There are many entrepeneur forums for starting your own small e-commerce business.

Basically, do you have knowlege in anything which can return you some revenue? If so then proceed.

In the previous three years I taught myself how to publish- typsetting, editing, cover art creation with GIMP which is freely available. Saw a market to tap into. Before that I learned website creation. I built a few websites for other folks. Not even a business but I charged for my services. Previously learned about supplements-ingredients, bulk, packaging, FDA regs, wholesaling. etc.etc.

I am a little fish in a big pond.

Have an acquaintaince who does very well wholesaling grey market luxury brands. Perfume mostly. Big money. Deals in pallets and containers. He wholesaled sunglasses in the Caribbean for many years prior to that. Other person I know does DSD for big companies as independent contractors. Still has a day job and it is punishing working two strict time schedules.

Last edited by Felix C; 04-15-2016 at 07:56 AM..

Old 04-15-2016, 07:31 AM

2,054 posts, read 2,567,829 times
Since I spend so little time doing it anymore, I would say commercial acting is my side hustle. It's a craft I've worked at for 5-6 years or so now. Lots of small films, a few tv shows. Pay is pitiful.

Old 04-15-2016, 10:25 AM

2,869 posts, read 4,450,604 times
Madison99

You are wrong, the crystals are the size and consistency of granulated sugar , not dust at all.

You may be thinking of SAND blasting, that does create a dust cloud.

This process is known as "dustless blasting" for that very reason, no dust is created.

Jim b.

Old 04-15-2016, 05:25 PM

55 posts, read 97,350 times
I went to grad school for a PhD in English from '05 to '12. I earned beer money as a freelance editor and I still have a couple of those clients. I advertise on Craigslist and pick up a new job occasionally. I still make beer money. But I'm really in it for the new contacts and to learn about other businesses.

As I finished school I set up a website and email list for grad students who are curious about non-academic jobs and careers. I work one day a week on it now and it brings in enough to meet my daily expenses. Multiple revenue streams are the key: ads on the site and in the emails, eBooks, DIY courses, personal coaching on occasion.

Like Felix C, I run a few websites: home services, green lifestyle, adult entertainment, and women's fashion and accessories. Money comes from ad sales and affiliate products. I'm building the home services and green sites into real brands with a goal to sell them as turnkey businesses. Everything pays for itself and profits go back into content, design, and advertising.

Before grad school I was in direct marketing for about 5 years. I'd like to start a new project later this year to get back to those basics: personalization, good copywriting and design, deep research and a highly targeted audience. I think there's a lot of opportunity to sell stodgy old businesses to Millennials and post-Millennials in an accessible and inviting way.

My full time hustle is digital marketing for small businesses. I focus on content, SEO, social, and email, and farm out the rest. My team and I are doing well with it, but personally I enjoy my own projects more. I'm networking now to find a partner for expanding the websites and beginning the next project.

Old 04-15-2016, 05:30 PM

7,343 posts, read 4,366,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadian citizen View Post
Madison99

You are wrong, the crystals are the size and consistency of granulated sugar , not dust at all.

You may be thinking of SAND blasting, that does create a dust cloud.

This process is known as "dustless blasting" for that very reason, no dust is created.

Jim b.
I have a blast cabinet and glass bead. It makes dust. If I wanted to market glass beading I would call it dustless too. I'm not saying it is dust, I'm saying the impact has the potential to create dust from the granules.

Also, where are you sourcing your glass from?

Old 04-16-2016, 07:03 AM

2,869 posts, read 4,450,604 times
Madison 999.

From the maker of the equipment, Dustless Blasting in Texas. By the pallet, it costs me $10 a 40 pound bag, plus shipping.

Jim b.

Old 04-25-2016, 10:20 PM

494 posts, read 1,191,558 times
My side business, if you can call it that, is selling used bicycles that I refurbish or buy really cheap. Mainly get these on CL or garage sales. A lot of times college students will ask for $100 to $200 for a bike because the brakes don't work etc. Or have "minor" issues. These are $500 or $800 bikes!

Also, I pick up a lot bikes in the winter, when nobody's riding, for cheap. Store them in a shed and when the weather warms up, resell time!

I live in a big metro area but I think this would work in college towns (a lot of kids go back home; get a job) or military areas (a lot of guys going overseas).

Full disclosure: I had some experience fixing bikes in high school/college.

Old 04-28-2016, 01:20 PM

2,420 posts, read 3,848,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolio69 View Post
My side business, if you can call it that, is selling used bicycles that I refurbish or buy really cheap. Mainly get these on CL or garage sales. A lot of times college students will ask for $100 to $200 for a bike because the brakes don't work etc. Or have "minor" issues. These are $500 or $800 bikes!

Also, I pick up a lot bikes in the winter, when nobody's riding, for cheap. Store them in a shed and when the weather warms up, resell time!

I live in a big metro area but I think this would work in college towns (a lot of kids go back home; get a job) or military areas (a lot of guys going overseas).

Full disclosure: I had some experience fixing bikes in high school/college.
True. You'll be amazed how low people sell their bicycles for due to inexpensive issues. I always wanted to do this with bicycles but in my area of So Cal the cycling culture doesn't really exist. I don't want to buy bicycles to fix up and sell for a profit and end up being stuck with them.

My idea was to try to profit $500 monthly from this endeavor and invest those profits into my retirement portfolios. $500/month X 12 months= $6000 of extra yearly investing.

I also wanted to buy pick-up trucks to fix and flip but there are laws here in California that require you to possess a dealer's license after a couple of sales. The last thing I want is to own a used car lot.

Old 04-30-2016, 06:06 AM

1,872 posts, read 3,408,163 times
Really interesting thread - Thanks for starting it ericp501
I work at a utility company the first part of the week, and Fri through Sun I do the side-hustle. Like a few posters before me, I run a few websites for people and also sell on the online venues ebay Azon & Etsy - I buy thrift store items, take them apart, and sell the parts to crafters. My husband takes old junk cars and motorcycles apart, cleans them up, and I sell the parts for him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business