Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2016, 01:18 AM

144 posts, read 406,624 times

Advertisements

Go Amazon! I love that company. Stores like Hastings have no business staying open if they do not adapt to changes. Nobody's going to wait for you when you get too comfortable and just sit and wait for the **** to hit the fan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2016, 12:01 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,694 posts, read 58,012,579 times
Many of the small towns served by Hastings have 'dog-slow' internet. Mine is turtle slow.

I cannot order from aamazon without timing out, streaming! Never.

Old 08-06-2016, 06:30 PM

8,087 posts, read 9,834,047 times
Book stores can survive. Brick and mortar stores provide atmosphere which no E-commerce company can. Tap into that.

Old 08-06-2016, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix C View Post
Book stores can survive. Brick and mortar stores provide atmosphere which no E-commerce company can. Tap into that.
Not only that, but Amazon is also getting into the brick and mortar business. There will always be a place for these.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/03/12/bu...cal-store.html

Old 08-06-2016, 08:40 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,833,054 times
Like everything else, there is an upside and a downside to internet sales like Amazon. Upside is, cheaper prices and free delivery. Downside, that is all you get.

I work retail, and I will spend as much time, as needed ,helping a customer solve some problem, show them how to do the job, and even show them YouTube videos of what we are talking about, or make them detailed drawings to get them through the repair. You don't get that with Amazon.

What I see more and more is, I will spend all that time with a customer, and at the end they say "Let me take a picture of it with my phone so I can go home and think about it." What they are really doing is taking a picture so they can buy it from Amazon cheaper.

I buy on the internet too, including Amazon. For example, I paid $80 some bucks for a scratching post for my cats, and when it wore out I looked on the internet and Amazon had the exact same product for $39, free shipping. So I like to save a buck too. But I also shop in brick and mortar stores because I can go in and touch the product and get someone to maybe show me how to use it.

No question though that the internet is the future of sales.

Don

Old 08-06-2016, 08:59 PM

12,836 posts, read 9,037,151 times
Hastings was our only local book store. Yet I'd been going in less and less and buying less and it had nothing to do with Amazon. I like to browse for books, pick them up, flip through them and decide which I want. Amazon doesn't fit the browse model. Amazon is efficient for buying exactly what you want, but not for things that grab you.

So why did we buy less at Hastings? The store changed. Selection got worse and worse. The book selection dropped dramatically. Same with the music and video selection. Became almost impossible to find a movie to rent. Yet half the square footage became devoted to toys and junk items that appeal to the most lowbrow college kids out there. Add in the store wasn't well organized, very little to no service, unknowledgeable staff, all for the chance to buy overpriced stock and it's no wonder they went out of business.

Old 08-07-2016, 10:31 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,694 posts, read 58,012,579 times
Quote:
. the store wasn't well organized, very little to no service, unknowledgeable staff, all for the chance to buy overpriced stock and it's no wonder they went out of business
Have you hired employees lately? Welcome to the new (?) world of high dictated minimum wages and the product of our society and public school system. (Entitlements, diminished skill set, absolutly no experience, intent, or ability to engage with customers.

Welcome to amazon.

Old 08-07-2016, 03:39 PM

4,668 posts, read 3,896,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Have you hired employees lately? Welcome to the new (?) world of high dictated minimum wages and the product of our society and public school system. (Entitlements, diminished skill set, absolutly no experience, intent, or ability to engage with customers.

Welcome to amazon.
I agree. I own a full service restaurant and it's so difficult to find good employees. There is a reason restaurants are switching over to fast casual or fast food. It doesn't take much off an employee to work at those restaurants. We've really considered closing, remodeling, and reopening as a fast casual. Our #1 complaint is about service, not food or atmosphere.

Old 08-07-2016, 10:56 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,833,054 times
You both hit the nail on the head. Today's young workers have zero work ethic and don't want to learn it either. We older guys at work talk about it all the time, how we show up on time, work hard all day, and know how to treat customers and know our products. The young kids our company hires (because they will work for peanuts with no benefits) show up late, or not at all, goof off on their cell phones all day, and are the number one complaint our customers have on our surveys.

A lot of these people are going to be very surprised when automated robots replace them and they will blame it on technology instead of their own laziness.

Don

Old 08-08-2016, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
You both hit the nail on the head. Today's young workers have zero work ethic and don't want to learn it either. We older guys at work talk about it all the time
Study: Every Generation Is Exactly The Same So Get Over Yourself
Every Every Every Generation Has Been the Me Me Me Generation - The Wire
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business