Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2016, 07:56 PM

174 posts, read 217,721 times

Advertisements

Hello business people!

I would like to own my own business someday but my problem is i do not know what consumers are demanding that i can provide. I am currently working in finance and while I am good at what i do and have learned a lot about business, i do not want to start my own financial service company as dealing with regulations alone is a complete nightmare.

So I'd like to hear any problems you can think of that might be solvable with a product or service.

Also, any advice from someone who has started a business successfully is welcome
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2016, 07:01 AM

2,762 posts, read 3,185,115 times
This is so open ended.

You can pick just about anything.

Do you have a certain field or industry you would prefer?

Product or service?

Brick and mortar or online?

Old 07-22-2016, 08:33 AM

I know unfortunately i'm at the level where i just want to do business but i have no idea what! I've tried some websites but all of my subjects are pretty much dominated already.

I'd prefer to invent some kind of product if that narrows it down. I really am open to a lot... Is there a good way to find products with a lot of complaints that can be improved upon or reinvented etc?

Old 07-22-2016, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoredRestless View Post
I know unfortunately i'm at the level where i just want to do business but i have no idea what! I've tried some websites but all of my subjects are pretty much dominated already.

I'd prefer to invent some kind of product if that narrows it down. I really am open to a lot... Is there a good way to find products with a lot of complaints that can be improved upon or reinvented etc?
Inventing new physical products requires a lot of capital, but if you have it, no reason you can't do it.

Don't get too hung up on the idea. The idea isn't really that important. Also, everything will have a lot of competition. Of course you don't want to go up against walmart, but if just the thought of competition makes you run (which is really just fear talking you), starting a business might not be for you.

Everyone gets stumped on the idea thinking they need to come up with something so fantastic. Meanwhile someone is mowing lawns by himself one summer and next thing you know it is 5 years later and he has 10 trucks 25 employees and is making really good money.

Lets start here.............

Money

How much you willing to invest to get a business started?

Zero, a million, 100 thousand, 500 bucks.............. There is no right answer, only the truth.

The most important thing about starting your own business is to just get started, get busy pushing forward and to concentrate on marketing and sales. Everything else doesn't really matter all that much. As for an idea, pick something you have the capital to start.

Old 07-22-2016, 04:06 PM

I appreciate your input High Altitude!

I am not afraid of competition. If i know what i'm doing, I'm confident i can be the best at it. Of course, competition is a variable to consider so definitely not taking on walmart as you say.

I've got about $15,000 to get a business started.
I know it would cost a lot to manufacture, market and service a physical product. With a product, I'm thinking more along the lines of inventing a solution/prototype to license to another company and then i can get a cut. At least until i get enough money to actually do manufacturing in-house, it all depends.

However i also like broker business where you are the middle man between buyers and sellers, however, the only thing i can think of is mortgage/insurance/investing and like i said before, i don't particularly want to get into those fields because i'm involved already and regulations are killer. I've ruled out mortgage broker, insurance broker, car dealership. Is there any other broker/dealer opportunities out there?

Old 07-22-2016, 05:40 PM

Quote:
I appreciate your input High Altitude!

I am not afraid of competition. If i know what i'm doing, I'm confident i can be the best at it. Of course, competition is a variable to consider so definitely not taking on walmart as you say.

I've got about $15,000 to get a business started.
I know it would cost a lot to manufacture, market and service a physical product. With a product, I'm thinking more along the lines of inventing a solution/prototype to license to another company and then i can get a cut. At least until i get enough money to actually do manufacturing in-house, it all depends.

However i also like broker business where you are the middle man between buyers and sellers, however, the only thing i can think of is mortgage/insurance/investing and like i said before, i don't particularly want to get into those fields because i'm involved already and regulations are killer. I've ruled out mortgage broker, insurance broker, car dealership. Is there any other broker/dealer opportunities out there?
No company will license a product unless the product is already successful with sales to back it up or it is something truly life changing. Companies are so risk averse today.

Besides 15k isn't enough.

When you don't have much money you need to offer a service, use your own labor and sell, sell, sell.....

I am sure there are all kinds of brokers of different products in different industries.

There are brokers who work in the transportation business matching people who want to ship stuff with those who do the actual shipping/moving of product.

For example, a friend of mine does this for shipping cars. She has her own business shipping cars, but in reality she is just a broker. She finds the customers and then finds the shippers. She keeps the difference in fees charged. She specializes in people who are moving,

Lets say you wanted to do this and you decide your niche is going to be high end car transportation since you really love cars. You could start by visiting car clubs or racing clubs and pitching your services. Stress how much you take care of the cars, you only use covered transportation, all tie downs are specialized to meet each vehicle to prevent damage, you carry the correct insurance etc.... and then charge them. Never compete solely on price, that is a good way to go broke. You start to gain the reputation of your customers and you become the go to guy who loves cars, absolutely takes care of them, the go to high end car shipper etc.... and people will start calling and they will pay no questions asked.

With any of these service businesses the key is to hit the pavement and find customers. It is agonizing slow at first, but with persistence, you will prevail. As you slowly gain customers, momentum speeds up as word of mouth starts to work for you.

Almost all these service businesses are like this. The positive is they don't require much capital to get started.

For example, I was reading a blog about a guy who goes door to door selling pest control service contracts. He signs them up and then hires someone in the industry to do the actual service. All he does is sign up clients and takes care of all the billing.

In his first year is signed up $100,000 worth of sales.

My brother did something similar but with replacement windows. Today he has 2-3 crews always working for him and could add a couple more crews if he really wanted to. He is slammed with business. Makes an easy 6 figure profit every year, is totally content with where he is at, likes the work load, i.e. he doesn't want to work any harder, and simply leaves the extra business on the table. Lots of his customers like him so much they just get in line and wait.

You can pick just about anything and run with it.

I know a person who started a pet sitting/dog walking business. Now she has a bunch of employees, website with online reservation system so her returning customers can just book times and is THE service in the area.

The whole key is to get busy. Pick something and run with it.

With anything you need to do a top job, great marketing, be consistent, top customer service etc.... and people absolutely will turn into returning customers and spread the word.

Good luck!

Old 07-28-2016, 08:39 AM

32,635 posts, read 47,995,345 times
Quote:
........but my problem is i do not know what consumers are demanding that i can provide. .......
Actually, your problem is that no one with a good business idea is going to just give it to you. People who start businesses have an idea. You can't skip that portion of the equation.... unless you want to give a whole bunch of money for the rest of your life to a franchise.

To find out what your local customers want and will pay for, you must do your market research. First you have the idea and then you do the research to make sure there is demand. Then you do all the financials to see if you can afford to start it and support it until it begins to make money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business