Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2016, 09:11 PM

473 posts, read 760,682 times

Advertisements

How about that a lot of the clothing is not on trend? INC, for example, has the same silhouettes and designs now that they did six years ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2016, 10:04 PM

34,037 posts, read 17,056,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MongooseHugger View Post
I've been hearing that Macy's is closing a lot of stores and they seem to be going downhill. Do you think they'll recover from this or do you think they'll die out?

Retail brick and mortar is going to largely die, in favor of online shopping. In many cases, retailers have no direct online employees to ship merchandise, using 3PL firms to do it. It will require far fewer employees, and allow them to turn inventory over faster, draining less resources.

Old 08-23-2016, 10:28 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,866,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleMartha View Post
How about that a lot of the clothing is not on trend? INC, for example, has the same silhouettes and designs now that they did six years ago.

Exactly! MAcy's has little redeeming other than huge discounts. It doesn't offer a nice shopping experience.

Old 08-23-2016, 10:42 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,889,999 times
Macy's problem is pricing. The pro-Trump crowd is overstated, Macy's has suffered since the recession and not directly tied to Trump issues. That is just political spin that really don't matter. It's just a drop in the bucket. Macy Now yes, I am not denying Trump couldn't effect Macy's BUT He isn't the main cause.

Old 08-24-2016, 01:09 AM

158 posts, read 98,877 times
I don't know. It SEEMS that Macys came out publically saying they were dropping the Trump line due to his comments regarding illegal immigration. Trump then publically told supporters that Macys supported illegal immigration and called for a boycott on July 1st "Those who believe in tight border security, stopping illegal immigration & SMART trade deals w/other countries should boycott @Macys."

Thousands of people cut up their. Macy's cards and called the company to *****. Within 6 months their stock dropped from $60 per share to $30 per share.

I think it's safe to say that it APPEARS that Macys screwed up big time taking sides publically on such a polarized issue. I know my family doesn't shop at Macys anymore.

Just like when the gay "kiss-in" backfited on Chic-filet. Millions of people flocked to show support every day which resulted in record profits at a time when they were supposed to be hurting.

Only with Macys, all people have to say is "nah they dumped Trump's line because they support illegal immigration. Lets go to Jc penny instead!" And nobody ever knows unless their profits drop.

Old 08-24-2016, 05:41 AM

17,156 posts, read 12,957,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pappjohn View Post
Definately has been dying. If Trump becomes president, Macys
will look pretty stupid. Actually they already are proving to be stupid!
If Americans vote Trump in as president, Macy's won't be the only stupid looking ones

Old 08-24-2016, 05:56 AM

258 posts, read 299,639 times
This thread might be better posted in Shopping and Consumer Products or Elections, as it's gotten to page 2 and no mention of either Work nor Employment.

Old 08-24-2016, 05:57 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,922,180 times
Brick and mortar retail is just not as profitable as it used to be. Decades ago if you went into a department store you would be greeted by someone in a suit who was paid well and often on commission who knew their products. Today you're lucky to even find someone to check you out.

Old 08-24-2016, 06:36 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,425,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
If Americans vote Trump in as president, Macy's won't be the only stupid looking ones
At this point we are going to look stupid no matter which of the two main candidates get voted in as president.

Old 08-24-2016, 06:42 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,889,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle86 View Post
I don't know. It SEEMS that Macys came out publically saying they were dropping the Trump line due to his comments regarding illegal immigration. Trump then publically told supporters that Macys supported illegal immigration and called for a boycott on July 1st "Those who believe in tight border security, stopping illegal immigration & SMART trade deals w/other countries should boycott @Macys."

Thousands of people cut up their. Macy's cards and called the company to *****. Within 6 months their stock dropped from $60 per share to $30 per share.

I think it's safe to say that it APPEARS that Macys screwed up big time taking sides publically on such a polarized issue. I know my family doesn't shop at Macys anymore.

Just like when the gay "kiss-in" backfited on Chic-filet. Millions of people flocked to show support every day which resulted in record profits at a time when they were supposed to be hurting.

Only with Macys, all people have to say is "nah they dumped Trump's line because they support illegal immigration. Lets go to Jc penny instead!" And nobody ever knows unless their profits drop.
In the article it shows an interesting parallel to that as Macy's had a drop in sales after, BUT JC Pennies went up. I am not sure if correlation is causation in this case besides the rabbis Trump base. A good number of which, probably never shopped at Macy's like myself. I shop at JC Pennies and Sears' because they are a bit lower prices than Macy's. Plus Macy's is a little too stuffy, mainstream and not me. I got a gift card from my brother's mother-in-law for it and couldn't find anything with it because either they were overpriced or not my style or something I really didn't need.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business