Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2016, 07:57 AM

5,481 posts, read 8,576,740 times

Advertisements

Has nothing to do with Macy's itself but the culture change of how people shop nowadays. Why physically go to the store and deal with traffic and people when you can order whatever you want from the comfort of your home/office? This is the reason why Amazon is doing so well despite not having a single dept store.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2016, 08:34 AM

14,775 posts, read 8,106,589 times
I too think it's just people shopping online more....I love to do my shopping online, saves time and money...and I can do it in my PJ's in a matter of minutes. I sometimes shop online at Macy's though too....they may be pricey, but they have some great sales from time to time!

Old 08-24-2016, 09:27 AM

10,114 posts, read 19,406,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazee Cat Lady View Post
I too think it's just people shopping online more....I love to do my shopping online, saves time and money...and I can do it in my PJ's in a matter of minutes. I sometimes shop online at Macy's though too....they may be pricey, but they have some great sales from time to time!

Macys in-store stock is so limited

You can waive the shipping charge if you pick up in the store, but they never have what I want there. Most of their stock is geared to small sizes. Come on! We're about the fattest nation on Earth, and we buy clothes, too! Those itty-bitty clothes look good on display, but they gather dust while us fatties pass them by

They don't come down enough in prices for sales, either. Sorry, I don't consider a $69 blouse on "sale" for $49 to be any type of bargain! I just found in my closet a shrug I bought last year, $59 marked down to $7.30, then they applied the 20% off coupon. That's my idea of a bargain!

They need to change their marketing targets. Also, I've found their quality to be lacking lately. I save ALL store receipts. If the item shrinks, fades, bleeds, etc in a reasonable time since purchase, I have no problem returning it. After all, if my check bounced they'd be chasing me down

Old 08-24-2016, 10:51 AM

3,205 posts, read 2,623,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewJerseyMemories View Post
Yes, it isn't simply about dropping a particular clothing line

Although I think Sears has been hurt by the prominence of Home Depot. I always have never understood the KMart/Sears merger.

That being said, I never buy clothing and shoes online.
Thats because there wasn't really a merger. It was two bankrupt companies purchased separately by the same billionaire, who combined them for his own purposes.

Old 08-24-2016, 11:35 AM

2,605 posts, read 2,711,196 times
Macy is still my favorite department store. I hope they stick around. Growing up shopping in Macy was sign of "making it" to solid middle class or even upper middle class. I agree their store have limited option that's why I often shop Macy's online because I am petite and there are far more option online and then I can just return it instore.

Macy does need to cut down on the sales. It is interesting that JCP went up. Few years ago we thought JCP was done but they turned around. In my area JCP is always clean and organize vs. not all Macy look clean. Macy does need to reevaluate itself

Old 08-24-2016, 12:28 PM

3,222 posts, read 4,569,754 times
Hope they don't do away with the Thanksgiving Day parade! That is an American tradition I'd surely miss.

Old 08-24-2016, 12:30 PM

6,782 posts, read 9,594,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelinLow View Post
Hope they don't do away with the Thanksgiving Day parade! That is an American tradition I'd surely miss.
Maybe they can economize. Only half as many people holding the ropes on each balloon.

Old 08-24-2016, 12:33 PM

2,064 posts, read 4,434,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle86 View Post
Looks like dropping Trump's clothing line was the nail in the coffin. Good riddance IMO. Making business decisions based on politics is going to cost ya at least 1/2 of your business. Pretty sure they say don't mix politics and religion with business for this reason. Sears is on the way out too after moving the entire craftsman line to foreign manufacturers.
This was the first thing that came to my mind as well.

You need to run a business, not play politics.

This isn't about Trump but is indicative of the business losing focus. Old mother's lesson told me that you can tell 10 things about a person by observing 1 behavior.

Macys dumped Trump in July 2015 when their stock was at a high of 72.

Since then the s&p 500 is up 4% while M is down 40%.

RVD.

Old 08-24-2016, 12:35 PM

5,900 posts, read 3,899,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1alker View Post
Brick and mortar retail is just not as profitable as it used to be. Decades ago if you went into a department store you would be greeted by someone in a suit who was paid well and often on commission who knew their products. Today you're lucky to even find someone to check you out.
There is no loyalty anymore. Consumers don't care about supporting their local small businesses. All they want is cheap, cheap, cheap...just like employers do these days. We live in a selfish society where everything is all about "me, me, me" and that is true from C-level executives all the way down to your lower class folks. Do anything to save a buck.

Old 08-24-2016, 01:08 PM

1,201 posts, read 1,223,811 times
the big department stores have been dropping like flies. Im suprised sears is still open honestly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business