U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2008, 04:43 AM

1,237 posts, read 1,768,302 times

Advertisements

Most of the online business networks/forums that I am finding are dominated by people that are Life Coaches, Search Engine Optimization, and other types of small businesses that are focused on Internet commerce.

It may make sense, I am looking on the Internet...But, I would like to find a forum for people that are more involved in trade - informative topics discussing specifications and trade issues of products, shipping, etc...

I know there are some industry specific - For instance I came across sites for landscaping and contracting that are incredibly active, and focused on real topics (not people pushing their services). And there are industry specific sites by trade associations and journals - But, these focus on one industry and it's products and issues.

I know of the Linked-in site - But, it's not quite what I'm looking for - I'm looking for more of a merchant trade site. But, not the ones that are really just on-line bazaars, and spam fodder (I'm sorry to say this includes kellysearch - You would not believe the spam I get from listing my business there - And alibaba is even worse).

Any thoughts?

(And by the way - I am not be-littling any of the online businesses - like life coaches, SEO people, etc...Much of their advice and services are very good. As a matter of fact, I give them much credit for the articles and guidelines that they post on their sites, and freely contribute to the forums - Some are excellent.)
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2008, 02:17 PM

2,952 posts, read 12,488,962 times
I don't know of any specific sites but have you done a search on "commerce and trade forums"?

Are there specific areas that interest you or seeking mor info on?

Old 02-24-2008, 03:53 AM

955 posts, read 2,004,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by migee View Post
Most of the online business networks/forums that I am finding are dominated by people that are Life Coaches, Search Engine Optimization, and other types of small businesses that are focused on Internet commerce.

It may make sense, I am looking on the Internet...But, I would like to find a forum for people that are more involved in trade - informative topics discussing specifications and trade issues of products, shipping, etc...

Any thoughts?
Unfortunately, no. I have also been looking, and doing searches on things like "small business forums". I also find the kinds of results that you talk about. Again, I agree that those items can be good, but I want something that focuses in on some practical nuts and bolts small business issues.

I tried craigslist and thought that I was in the right place to post my request for a business expansion proposal, but my post was removed. I'm sure that I missed some of the fine print on exactly what could be posted.

I'll keep looking.

Old 02-24-2008, 09:33 PM

1,237 posts, read 1,768,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhlcomp View Post
I don't know of any specific sites but have you done a search on "commerce and trade forums"?

Are there specific areas that interest you or seeking mor info on?
I'm looking for a forum that would be more for people that actually move product...That is, people that actually work with the matters of production, logistics of shipping, etc. etc...

As I said, there are industry specific sites...But, I'm looking for any that might be more general...

I think the reality is that some of the online sites may have been created with some intention to this...But, they are soon monopolized by service providers, and with this others soon lose interest...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or