Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2016, 11:28 PM

3,111 posts, read 2,935,501 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
Yes, I received on once when I had moved out of CA (One of 3 times) and I called and settled it easily and had to pay just for the months I had lived in CA the year I moved and no penalty.
How many years after the fact? Did the notice they sent you include penalties that were later eliminated? Were you able to resolve it over the phone? Thx!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2016, 09:51 AM

18,172 posts, read 16,249,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal Roach View Post
How many years after the fact? Did the notice they sent you include penalties that were later eliminated? Were you able to resolve it over the phone? Thx!
It was a couple of years after the fact and I was able to resolve it over the phone. I of course had to file a partial year return and pay what was due plus a late fee, but I believe that was the only "penalty" and it wasn't anything major. That was a few years ago, so not sure what the status on a late filing is now.

Old 11-02-2016, 08:26 AM

Update: Fist thing Monday morning, I spent about 90 minutes on hold, and about 50 minutes talking to a rep. Now, I see why it was flagged, because when I filed in 1997 for 1996, I was in a transitory state in California, using a mail box. And I had indeed leased out my home in Arizona, and spent less than a month in CA looking for a place, and ended up in Virginia, until moving back into my place in Arizona the following year, where I subsequently bought four other homes. and maintained education certification until now. So I was able to take her to the Recorder's records in Phoenix, and show her that the home I bought in 95 and sold in 99. She said it has to get approved and may take a month. Fair enough, kind of, but what is troubling is that I had never heard a word about it until last Friday! They also seemed to ave been stalking me a little bit, as she knew I had been in Las Vegas (bought and sold a condo there in 2009), but she said 2008, but I never got a car/license in Nevada, but did go through a background check for CCSD. She also knew about two bank accounts I had held over the years...so it seems like they can dig a little, but often they are clueless. I would sure as heck think twice about opening a BAC or WFC account. So they had 20 years to contact me, over half of which I owned real property in Arizona...so they wait until now. It looks like wage garnishments for people in California are their favorite tool, if not liens on real property.

Old 11-02-2016, 09:32 AM

9,723 posts, read 7,549,607 times
So did you actually owe any back taxes or were they just thinking you didn't file?

I am just amazed about the 20 years. Glad you are getting it cleared up.

Old 11-02-2016, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
So did you actually owe any back taxes or were they just thinking you didn't file?

I am just amazed about the 20 years. Glad you are getting it cleared up.
They claim that I owe them about 250 in taxes for money I made solely in AZ from an AZ company and also working for a school district in Phoenix. Taxes were filed and paid in Arizona for 1996. Oh, and the 250 has mushroomed into 1270.00. So, that is part of the little game they are playing. Not really a good way to balance the books, let alone engaging in activities that could cause runs on the banks. Not a mention of it on my credit reports.

Old 11-04-2016, 11:22 PM

1,884 posts, read 3,011,005 times
CA is KNOWN to be aggressive in this area and they do grab your bank account money whenever they can and hold it for a year or so it takes to straighten the mess out.

1. Did you mark on your LAST tax return that it was the last one? If not that could be what triggered the review.

2. When you left did you SEVER EVERY tie with CA, including all assets--sell your home, end your lease, close your utility accounts, transfer your phone billing to your new state, etc.,

register your car when you left to a new state,

get auto and home insurance in your new state,

sell all other real estate--especially business,

change your insurance if you used a CA paid for policy (medi-care, etc.),

change your food stamps/EBT to the new state,

close your bank accounts and open them in the new state,

relinquish all CA professional license (contractor, teacher, etc.), if not can you say that you did not earn any income based on that license?

You may not be a resident of CA but you may very well owe CA taxes based on income earned from a CA asset. They include things like licenses in this determination.

CA is one of the states that will pursue a non-resident for income earned off a CA asset.

Old 11-05-2016, 03:25 AM

How many people would actually know in April, if they are moving out of the State in the near future?
But, otherwise...obtained AZ DL within one month in 1995, registered to vote in AZ, bought a used car in AZ and registered at the condo I owned (purchased in April 95). Obtained a Substitute Teaching Certificate date February 1996, and worked for a whopping 60 Dollars per day at a 100 year old public school district in Phoenix. Brokerage account stayed the same, but my branch office changed. Post man was notified of every move. Never owned any real property in California; but owned five homes in Arizona and one in Nevada. Terminated my lease in California in April 1995, moved to Phoenix....in short, this is utterly ridiculous, and I am disappointed that the citizens of California are tolerating the seizure of assets without anything coming close to Due Process.

Old 11-05-2016, 02:20 PM

8,855 posts, read 11,647,834 times
Look at what the taxpayers are paying government workers. It should be obvious why those thieves want to take your money anyway they can.

'Police Officer' search results | Transparent California

Old 11-06-2016, 03:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
Look at what the taxpayers are paying government workers. It should be obvious why those thieves want to take your money anyway they can.

'Police Officer' search results | Transparent California
That's enough to make even the non-profit execs blush.

Old 11-06-2016, 09:17 AM

9,723 posts, read 7,549,607 times
Thinking back, CA got me coming in during that same year. My ex was working and living in CA but I was still working and living 100% in another state back in 1996 (didn't move there until 97). Of course I didn't claim my out of state income on the CA return, I only claimed his, I claimed mine on the other state's return. CA came after me and told me I had to pay $400 or so on that out of state income and I could later amend my CA return to deduct it out on a line called Miscellaneous.

So I did have to pay the $400 and never had time to amend that return to get it back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business